The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:20:08 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Balance Mod Tournament for September 2009
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Balance Mod Tournament for September 2009  (Read 2930 times)
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
Re: Balance Mod Tournament for September 2009
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2009, 03:31:58 am »

Like, a tournament in which the two fleets are fixed - let's say, as an example, old hierarchy and old alliance - a match is two rounds, one each way, with the overall winner based on points.

There'd be no need to make the fixed fleets fairly balanced to each other at all. You could have a fleet with every slot a marauder vs the old alliance, and the tournament would still be fair.

Wow, I really like that idea.

Please visit my homepage.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 09:49:17 am »

Quote from: Death999
What fleets did you all bring?

Those are good ideas. I have a few untested tournament ideas myself, the zaniest being a Secret Mission tournament where every player is given goals such as "load a Syreen Penetrator up to 42 to crew in one of your games" and "select your ships randomly and still win a game". That would be fun. If the community weren't dead, I would try it.

I think all tournaments should be randomized ships anyway. When I play for fun I always select random ships, just to test my skills (which I practically don't have) Wink.
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 01:11:44 pm »

I think all tournaments should be randomized ships anyway. When I play for fun I always select random ships, just to test my skills (which I practically don't have) Wink.

That would be a bad idea. Some players would have bad fleets and lose because of it. Unless, of course, you also used Death 999's idea for both players to use each team.

Gekko
*Many bubbles*

Arena regular

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:10 pm »

Random ship picking has the problem that if you start with a Chmmr, then your opponent might end up losing many ships before getting his Druuge/Utwig. Maybe random picking would work if there were some special rules. I have no idea how that should be done, though.

Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
jaychant
*Smell* controller

Please visit my homepage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »

Random ship picking has the problem that if you start with a Chmmr, then your opponent might end up losing many ships before getting his Druuge/Utwig. Maybe random picking would work if there were some special rules. I have no idea how that should be done, though.

I thought he meant random fleets, but random ship selections would be bad too. You would probably have to ban half of the ships, particularly ones from SC2.

Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 09:57:37 pm »

A 'sudden change of rules AHOY' kind of gameplay change would be forcing all players to play with their opponents' fleet, which could actually be quite entertaining. Of course, it'll have to remain a secret until the tournament actually starts and people have already submitted their fleets to whoever is hosting said tournament.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 02:23:24 am »

A 'sudden change of rules AHOY' kind of gameplay change would be forcing all players to play with their opponents' fleet, which could actually be quite entertaining. Of course, it'll have to remain a secret until the tournament actually starts and people have already submitted their fleets to whoever is hosting said tournament.

Oh yeah, that would be cool. It wouldn't matter much at 200 points (especially in vanilla), but at 100 or 150 points it'd be a different game.

That's easy to solve and I've played with those rules a few times. Blacklist Chmmr and Kohr-Ah and you're golden. Add Ur-Quan to that blacklist if playing the balance mod. Random picks are fun but flawed in that cheap ships are devalued somewhat when they can't be played as counters.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2009, 08:51:45 am »

I actually meant random ship selection from the same fleets playing against eachother. Over an entire tournament, the most skilled player will win anyway, not the most lucky player.
The idea behind this is that starship captains would have to have tactics for every ship they encounter, not just know the rock paper scissors thing the best. When you encounter a hostile Chmmr avatar in hyperspace, Druuge/Utwig reinforcements might be days or weeks away and can't be called in in the next battle Wink.
SquisherX
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »

Actually, when me and my friend would play UQM, we would always play where both players select their fleet (normal), but you always picked random ship.  Ship prices are adjusted using a free market system we set up. 

It brought about many more interesting battles, as well as small ships battling the big ships, where the goal is to damage the ship rather than kill it (I like the ZFP vs the Chmrr, getting that tongue in).
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length