The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:07 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Melee "lockup" (possibly sound/MixSDL related?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Melee "lockup" (possibly sound/MixSDL related?)  (Read 2527 times)
Daniel

Email
Melee "lockup" (possibly sound/MixSDL related?)
« on: January 30, 2003, 03:10:13 am »

Just today I noticed a bug in my cvs compile of uqm.  When playing in melee mode, the game sometimes gets stuck after I destroy one of the computer's ships.  I don't mean "stuck" in the sense of "hangs": the engine keeps running and my ship can still fly around, but the computer never chooses a new ship.  While the game is in this state, no sounds play (eg, weapon fire sounds).

On one occasion (I had destroyed a green ur-quan with a green ur-quan and the game stuck as described above), I tried deliberately destroying my ship by ramming it into the planet.  As soon as I did, the computer chose a ship -- however, I did not get the opportunity to choose a ship, and I had to quit out of the melee manually.  I didn't see any obviously incriminating messages on stdout/stderr after I quit.

I am compiling on debian unstable, from CVS of a few days ago (I can't seem to compile the current code -- there's some sort of a build system problem)  I didn't see this before MixSDL was introduced into the tree, which makes me think it may be related.

Daniel
Daniel

Email
Re: Melee "lockup" (possibly sound/MixSDL related?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2003, 03:35:56 am »

I just got this to trigger again, and I got a message on stderr this time:

StreamDecoderTaskFunc(): buffer underrun when playing blackurq/bladitty.mod, source 5

(repeated a whole bunch of times)

This time, in case it turns out to matter, the computer blew up my Syreen with a Marauder.

Daniel
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
CVS updating and MixSDL problem
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 02:03:53 pm »

I am compiling on debian unstable, from CVS of a few days ago (I can't seem to compile the current code -- there's some sort of a build system problem)  I didn't see this before MixSDL was introduced into the tree, which makes me think it may be related.
Daniel

If you're updating with CVS, remember that CVS by default does not download new directories when updating. The MixSDL directory is not downloaded if you do "cvs up"; you have to do "cvs up -d" instead.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Daniel

Email
Re: CVS updating and MixSDL problem
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2003, 09:53:11 pm »

If you're updating with CVS, remember that CVS by default does not download new directories when updating. The MixSDL directory is not downloaded if you do "cvs up"; you have to do "cvs up -d" instead.

As I may have mentioned, I built uqm with MixSDL, so I don't think that's the problem ;-)  What I was seeing looked like a Makefile bug: gcc was being called with no .c file as an argument, so it (rightly) complained about not having any input file.

Anyway, it seems that the problem has been fixed in CVS (a cvs update a moment ago made my tree buildable again)

Daniel
Daniel

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 10:10:13 pm »

Just a note about the problem which triggered this thread.  It just happened again, and I noticed that this time, the music actually stopped before the ships were destroyed.  In the terminal I started the program from, I got another "buffer underrun" message, repeated over and over.

So it looks like no-one has fixed this in CVS yet (what I was trying to check earlier when it wouldn't build)

Daniel
Daniel

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2003, 04:53:01 am »

I have now been able to reproduce this in the normal single-player game.  The sound cut out for no obvious reason and I started getting continuous "buffer underrun" messages for whatever background music was supposed to be playing.  When I encountered an alien in hyperspace, the game crashed trying to play "lbm/redalert.mod".

Daniel
PhracturedBlue
Frungy champion

Me developer. Here me roar!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2003, 07:34:48 pm »

It certainly sounds like a bug  in the sound code.
Unfortunately, we changed two things at the same time (added MixSDL and rewrote the streaming code)
This is more likely a problem with sound-streaming, but will likely prove hard to debug, since (a) I haven't been able to replicate it, and (b) it isn't actually crashing the game most  of the time...and likely once the game crashes, it is too late to figure out why.

My recomendation would be to run the game (with a 'debug' compile) though gdb, and then, when it  crashes, you can provide a back-trace 'bt')

Or if you find a way to make it  crash reliably, that would help too.

There was one change made about 10 hrs ago dealing with a memory-corruption issue, which might help tho, so you can retry CVS one more time.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length