The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:21:57 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Melee Meet-Up [Mid October 2009]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Melee Meet-Up [Mid October 2009]  (Read 2556 times)
Shiver

Email
Re: Melee Meet-Up [Mid October 2009]
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 10:49:52 pm »

If SCDB people want to play, they'll find their way over one way or another like Smoke353 did a while back or fluffy banana did during the last meet-up.
Rob
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 10:54:19 pm »

Hi, I'm new to both boards, and I saw that net melee is finally possible which is fantastic. I'm curious about the process though. I was looking through the step-by-step and noticed that it's necessary to give out your IP number in order to play. Is that safe in general, or do you just go by the honor system and assume no one will do anything malicious with it around here?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:49:02 am »

Hi, I'm new to both boards, and I saw that net melee is finally possible which is fantastic. I'm curious about the process though. I was looking through the step-by-step and noticed that it's necessary to give out your IP number in order to play. Is that safe in general, or do you just go by the honor system and assume no one will do anything malicious with it around here?

My experience of promiscuously handing out my IP address for years and years has been fine. Someone who knows more about networking should field this.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 01:35:32 pm »

You're already giving your IP address away to any server you connect with. All the moderators on this forum can probably look up your IP address, since the forum engine logs it nicely for them. I, too, know your IP address. Somewhat. It's somewhere between 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255, with a few range exceptions where it just can't be...

Say you hand me your IP address. I can then do two things that might be somewhat harmful to you. I can use GeoIP to find out where you live, approximately, and I can scan your system(s) for any vulnerabilities using Nmap. Finding out where you live might be useful to break 'lost my password questions' (you'd be dumb if you really use those anyways!). Scanning your system might be useful to break into it.

However..

If your system is vunerable, your system most likely has been scanned and compromised already anyways. A lot of viruses/trojans/malware these days converts your system into a 'Zombie PC', a remote-controlled bot that probably gets assigned a task to scan random systems on the Internet and attempt to break into them if they're vulnerable. Chances are, about 10 of these infected PCs try to break into your system each day.

Thus, the danger isn't in giving me your IP address; it's having an unsecure system or password-setup to begin with.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length