The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:15:48 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SC BEL: Mission 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: SC BEL: Mission 2  (Read 58515 times)
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: SC BEL: Mission 2
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2010, 07:16:36 pm »

I'll browse through the documents and retain them for the eggheads back home. I suppose someone will join me in rummaging through the room.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2010, 09:24:21 pm »

Sonny moves up and rummages through the papers on the table. They are written in Ur-Quan script so she gathers that they are official vessel documents of some kind. The kind of papers the greenies might want to inspect every now and then. There are cargo lists and crew rosters, duty lists and meal menus. Apparently this ship, "The Hideous Human" was commandeered for the transport mission and the crew isn't too happy about it. There has been some recent unrest aboard due to this. In addition, the presence of "troublesome allies not necessarily suited for service on a Intruder" has caused some further unrest. In order to combat this, there is mention of moral boosting activities such as FunRom screenings and extra rations of "enjoyables", whatever those are.

Among the more technical papers she finds a odd shorthand list, long strings of alphanumericals with comments such as "Reset counters", "Reroute commands", "Structure analysis". Unlike the other papers, this one is hand written.

OOC:

Sonny gets the notes.

Aand that's it for a day or two I think. I'm leaving for Finland straight after work tomorrow and will spend the night in a metal tin can on the ocean. I haven't seen my family and friends for 1½ month and I haven't seen my girlfriend for 3 weeks so I make no promises about a Friday update, but I will try to squeeze in an update or two during the weekend some time.

What's up doc?
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:11 pm »

Sonny carefully reads through the rosters, briefly smiling on a thought "4 down, xx to go". Upon reaching technical sheets, she passes them to Drmnmraxas, as he might get a chance to use them.

How many are there?
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 11, 2010, 04:13:38 am »

I think it would be wise to go through all of the containers in this room. The filing cabinet may contain technical readouts or somesuch that we could use as a more detailed map, and who knows what might be in that strongbox (weapons!)?
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:50 am »

I think it would be wise to go through all of the containers in this room. The filing cabinet may contain technical readouts or somesuch that we could use as a more detailed map, and who knows what might be in that strongbox (weapons!)?

Let's do that. Loot everything that's there and then move for the opening of the north door, as i've illustrated here:
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 11, 2010, 10:49:54 am »

Agreed. It doesn't really matter who is positioned where in "T" formation, as long as Spook is the one opening the door.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 11, 2010, 11:28:20 am »

Agreed. It doesn't really matter who is positioned where in "T" formation, as long as Spook is the one opening the door.

Drax needs to be behind, since he's a long distance sniper Wink (can only fire from 3 squares upwards).
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 13, 2010, 10:35:35 am »

You begin rifling through the room, eager to discover as much as you can about this ship. The cabinet contains mostly papers, more documentation of the ship and how it works. There's a wealth of material here and going through it would probably provide you with very valuable information. But he papers are badly indexed and the entire filing system is a mess. It would take some time to go through this.

The chest contains some very interesting items. First up, there's a grenade of strange design. The previous one you found was sleek, but this one seems more bulbous, covered with small protrusions. It feels quite light as well, but the shape and weight offers no clue to what it does.

In addition to this, there are two small packages and a defense laser in the chest. Opening the packages reveals first aid equipment. Most of the chemical compounds are useless to you, since they're meant for VUX physiology. But the bandages and sutures could probably come in handy.

The metal marvel studies the papers that Sony gives it and recognises the setup with ease. These are low level code commands that look related to engine and fuel capabilities. If a input terminal is discoverd, these could come in handy.

OOC:

Choices to be made: The papers in here contain a lot of information about "The Hideous Human". Going through all of this will take some time though, so if you elect to stay you'll have to figure out how much time you want to sacrifice. You've used up 4 turns so far, so if you pick a 2 turn option you'll start your next turn on 7 and so forth.

Map research:

2 turns - Vague outline of total map
3 turns - Empty spaces and walls filled in
4 turns - Location of prisoner
6  turns - doors filled in
8 turns object (chests and so forth) filled in

Crew research:

2 turns - Approximate number of VUX aboard
3 turns - Detailed number of VUX aboard and list of other races
5 turns - Detailed number of other races aboard
7 turns - Approximate location of VUX units
8 turns - Detailed location of VUX units, approximate location of other units

Loot to be divided before we continue:
Strange Grenade
Defense laser (5/5)
VUX bandages * 2

Once you've made your choices, I'll move you up to the next room as you've planned and open that door for you. Next update might be on Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. I'm in Finland now so my schedule is a bit stressed. No later than Tuesday evening though, and probably one before that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 10:52:43 am by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2010, 10:52:00 am »

@Luki - do the higher cost options include the previous as well? I mean If we choose doors (6MOV) do we also have the prisoner location (4) and map outline (2) , or each is seperate? Same for crew list.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2010, 11:06:59 am »

I'd like to use one of the bandages to heal to full and keep the other one.
I personally don't care about any of the crew research options, I'll take whatever they throw at me.
Map research - location of prisoner is enough for me Smiley.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:16:07 am by Angelfish » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 13, 2010, 11:57:56 am »

@Luki - do the higher cost options include the previous as well?

Yup!

What's up doc?
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 13, 2010, 01:38:42 pm »

Yes, I agree with Angelfish - the only usefull thing would be at least approx. locations of VUX, and this is already too costly.
I think we should spend 4 turns to find out where our target is, the general ship layout will be included so I believe that would be enough.
After all, we could miss those papers altogether and should have completed the mission anyways.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 13, 2010, 06:46:04 pm »

Agreed. Let's find the location of our target, and then sort through the rest back home.

You guys can split up the loot as you see fit, since I can't use any of it. If there's excess, I'll hang onto it until someone needs it.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:57 pm »

You toil tirelessly over you’re the VUX documents, trying to puzzle together a picture of the vessel. It’s frustrating and time-consuming work. There are often several different revisions of the same documents, which in turn lead you onwards to other revisions of connected documents. At first, you are baffled by the fact that the VUX would be so untidy and disorganized when it comes to keeping records. But as you slowly unwind a thread of documents that you hope will lead you towards a fairly recent map of the ship, you begin to suspect that the mess is intentional. Everything you’re looking for is here in these papers, written in official Ur-Quan script. Everything the Ur-Quan Masters could be interested in can easily be found here, provided that one knows exactly what one is looking for. But if one doesn’t…  Perhaps this is a subtle way of fighting back, by hiding valuable information from the Ur-Quan out in plain sight.

Eventually, you feel pretty sure of yourselves. You’ve got a few different maps that sort of fit together when you apply instructions found in a general assembly meeting agenda. For some reason these pictures have no doors marked out on them, supposedly because that wasn’t within the scope of the map-making assembly meetings’ agenda. Or maybe it wasn’t within the scope of these minutes of meeting that you’ve found. It’s hard to say. You suspect that somewhere there might be a pristine list of doors as well, hidden within some other document.

Another document indicates that there is only one holding cell on board this ship, although this is “unlike the conventional arrangement agreed upon in normal cases as the advisable standard on vessels of this class within this organization”. It seems the cell has been “restructured to meet an increased demand for volume rather than quantity”. This must be where the Admiral is being held.

Armed with this knowledge and light headaches, you decide that you’ve wasted enough time on this. Wajangtoey quickly applies a set of bandages to his wounds and pockets the other, while Sonny decides to hold on to the strange grenade. You decide to leave one of the half empty lasers behind and bring the fully charged one instead.

After what feels like days, you assemble outside the door of your choice and prepare for battle once more. As it hisses open you are tense, but half expecting another empty room.

The first thing that hits you is the sound. It is loud, shrill and piercing. A primal animal sound filled with terror. As you peer into the room in confusion, something flies out and lands at your feet with a metallic clank. Suddenly the air around you is filled with distractions. There are flashing lights and strange noises.  You try to shield yourselves, but it is too late. The dazzling lights spin hypnotically and sounds and echoes assault your senses from every direction. Dazed and stunned by this unexpected turn of events you see a Spathi Trooper inside, accompanied by two VUX Ensigns. Well, sort of accompanied anyway. One of the VUX Ensigns must have been too close to the door and looks just as confused as you are. The other is clutching his head with both his hands as the unending Spathi wail continues.

Map:

Minimap:

OOC: You’re all stunned, but so are the VUX. 1 AP per person, except Koosaloo who has none of course.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:35:54 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »

I think Arilou should step behind M-bot, Waja move E and S and throw grenade at spathi. Sonny has not enough moves for anything, maybe just use the 1AP to give Waja the weird grenade (with protrusions) to use instead of regular (I suspect it is sorts of fragmented limpet grenade).
Another possibility is for our Spook to use MAYHEM. Probably a bit of waste, but this way the northern VUX will not be able to get to consoles with potential alarm button.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length