The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:38:43 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  SC BEL: Mission 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: SC BEL: Mission 2  (Read 58507 times)
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: SC BEL: Mission 2
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 09:51:02 pm »

ok, first, my analysis IS correct, the reason for my confusion is that the MOV stats listed in the second post has Wajang's MOV and STR flipped...

Whoops, fixed

And perhaps I'm misinterpreting the rules but I'm not seeing how using the one AP would be no movement gain. From my understanding the 5x5 square is determined by my position since I am the one who opened the door and the farthest northeastern edge of that would spread past the position northeastern of Beta, allowing someone to set up there if they wished and still leave an AP to attack and possibly adjust further. Whereas if someone were instead to use an AP up for movement, the best someone would get would be Wajang being able to move 5 squares and still have an AP left, getting him at best to the position southwest of Beta.

Meh, this rule isn't as well thought out as it should be. But yes, you're correct. It allows you to "warp" people in front of Koosaloo. Sort of like initiative.

Let's not do that Wink
Anyway, since koosaloo is in the way I have to wait for his move before I can do anything.
I'm eager to get in the fight. Who wants to live forever!?! KYEEEEEEEE!
Koosemose
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:35 am »

I was under the impression that you would be able to move freely through an Allied occupied square but if neccessarry I will move 1S to allow people through.

And a possible alternative/replacement to the 1AP 5x5 rule... instead, when someone declares they're opening a door, give everyone X amount of time to post their starting positions within that area on our side of the door, prior to revealing the other side? It's too late for this time of course but would allow the just of what effect you seemed to be going for with that rule, without the warping ahead possibility.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 03:13:27 am »

Yeah, my assumption was that you couldn't move *past* the door you were opening with that reposition.

I'd say let Wajang charge into the closest enemy, and the rest of us get into as good positions for shooting as we can. Since most of the abuse will probably be directed at myself and Wajang, it's fortunate that we each have high HP.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 07:06:43 pm »

I was under the impression that you would be able to move freely through an Allied occupied square but if neccessarry I will move 1S to allow people through.

Yes, this is correct. You can move through each other, you're a well trained team.

And a possible alternative/replacement to the 1AP 5x5 rule... instead, when someone declares they're opening a door, give everyone X amount of time to post their starting positions within that area on our side of the door, prior to revealing the other side? It's too late for this time of course but would allow the just of what effect you seemed to be going for with that rule, without the warping ahead possibility.

Not bad. A one day rule sounds about right, so's not to slow down the game too much.

What's up doc?
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 01:28:41 am »

OOC: Lukipela, can you please give me some clarity about my MOV and edit your posts accordingly. I've seen 6, and I've seen 3.. and my STR flipped the other way around. This is important for me because with 6 MOV I can take on the furthest VUX to disable him from setting the alarm, and even chase him wherever he goes if he chooses to flee (he has half my MOV), and save 1 AP for doing melee damage to him. Another course of action would be the power 'minirocket tube' of the M-bot, but let's save that for more difficult situations.

In the case of 3 MOV:
Very well, gonna charge the closest VUX.
* Wajangtoey walks between the legs of Koosaloose and goes E E E.

In the case of 6 MOV:
* Wajangtoey walks between the legs of Koosaloose and goes E E E N N N.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:16:12 am by Angelfish » Logged
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 02:22:54 am »

Before you go anywhere, can the rest of us figure out our moves? We've already screwed up enough on positioning this game.

And you do indeed have 6 MOV, 3 STR. In fact, I don't think there are any units in the game with 6 STR at all.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 02:32:08 am »

Before you go anywhere, can the rest of us figure out our moves? We've already screwed up enough on positioning this game.

And you do indeed have 6 MOV, 3 STR. In fact, I don't think there are any units in the game with 6 STR at all.

OOC: I think the minirocket tube should be listed as a weapon instead of an ability which you can use only once in the scenario, that got me confused Cheesy
We can do 2 things, either you snipe the furthest VUX with the tube or I do it by chasing him down.

Chasing him down has one advantage.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:44:39 am by Angelfish » Logged
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 02:48:40 am »

Abilities can be used whenever the opportunity arises, powers can only be used once per scenario.

I was suggesting shooting down the potential runner since nobody can get to him this turn. That way you can actually do some damage to the other 3 that are going to shoot us up before we can really get our licks in. If you want to run after him, though, then Sonny and I can array ourselves to inflict as much damage as possible next turn against the 3 closer targets. However, bear in mind that if you do try to chase him down, it will take you at least 3 turns to catch him, and you'll probably take at least one opportunity attack for passing too close to the closer VUX north of us. I don't particularly like that scenario, plus it opens up the potential for ambushers coming out of the doors you pass by as well, further screwing things up.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 02:58:21 am »

Abilities can be used whenever the opportunity arises, powers can only be used once per scenario.

The stuff about abilities is written nowhere in the rules, that's why I confused them with powers (these abilities ARE listed as powers in the BEL UNITS/ITEMS topique by the way).

I was suggesting shooting down the potential runner since nobody can get to him this turn. That way you can actually do some damage to the other 3 that are going to shoot us up before we can really get our licks in. If you want to run after him, though, then Sonny and I can array ourselves to inflict as much damage as possible next turn against the 3 closer targets. However, bear in mind that if you do try to chase him down, it will take you at least 3 turns to catch him, and you'll probably take at least one opportunity attack for passing too close to the closer VUX north of us. I don't particularly like that scenario, plus it opens up the potential for ambushers coming out of the doors you pass by as well, further screwing things up.

Melee to the closest VUXes seems a better idea indeed, though passing around him makes him not able to set off the alarm at all.
Going E E E S will give LOS problems and going E E E S E S will make me vulnerable to melee attacks from the other VUX, in the SE, I dunno what's preferable..

PS: I hope you're a good shot, because that furthest VUX can move in such a way that it's not always in your LOS, using the limpet cocoons as cover.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:02:40 am by Angelfish » Logged
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 04:27:38 pm »

The stuff about abilities is written nowhere in the rules, that's why I confused them with powers (these abilities ARE listed as powers in the BEL UNITS/ITEMS topique by the way).

Having just doublechecked, I thought it was pretty clear. Abilities are designated as such, anyway. Maybe we'll figure out a way to reword that later.

Melee to the closest VUXes seems a better idea indeed, though passing around him makes him not able to set off the alarm at all.
Going E E E S will give LOS problems and going E E E S E S will make me vulnerable to melee attacks from the other VUX, in the SE, I dunno what's preferable..

I wouldn't worry about melee attacks so much as shooting attacks from the VUX, which you're vulnerable to either way. I'd say, use up the fewest number of MOV so that you can actually attack this turn. If we can take one of them out early (or at least stun him), it's that much less pain in the coming counterattack.

PS: I hope you're a good shot, because that furthest VUX can move in such a way that it's not always in your LOS, using the limpet cocoons as cover.

That's a good point, one that I hadn't considered. In truth, I just sort of assumed that they were low enough to the ground that we could see and shoot over them, since they're not generating fog of war. Luki, can you confirm how these obstacles work?
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47:38 pm »

Having just doublechecked, I thought it was pretty clear. Abilities are designated as such, anyway. Maybe we'll figure out a way to reword that later.

Then point me to a link/quote where it is explained Wink

I wouldn't worry about melee attacks so much as shooting attacks from the VUX, which you're vulnerable to either way. I'd say, use up the fewest number of MOV so that you can actually attack this turn. If we can take one of them out early (or at least stun him), it's that much less pain in the coming counterattack.

I can go EEE then shoot south. Melee is not possible this turn because I need 4 moves for that, which costs me 2 AP.

That's a good point, one that I hadn't considered. In truth, I just sort of assumed that they were low enough to the ground that we could see and shoot over them, since they're not generating fog of war. Luki, can you confirm how these obstacles work?
[/quote]

I think you can see over them, but they can hide behind them, because they blocked the shotgun shots in the example from luki.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:49:17 pm by Angelfish » Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 09:13:17 pm »

OOC: Lukipela, can you please give me some clarity about my MOV and edit your posts accordingly. I've seen 6, and I've seen 3.. and my STR flipped the other way around.

I thought I fixed this everywhere, your MOV is 6 and STR is 3. Do you see it the other way somewhere still?

OOC: I think the minirocket tube should be listed as a weapon instead of an ability which you can use only once in the scenario, that got me confused.

It's listed as both at the moment, an ability and a weapon. I guess I should rename the ability "Minitube Rocket Upgrade" or something.

Good point. This is why I wanted new players as well, someone who doesn't already know this stuff by heart. Abilities are listed as "Passive Powers" rather than "Active Powers" in the items thread where they are pretty well defined, but I should definitely put in a bit on that in the actual rules. It's not self evident that Ability = Passive Power = Always on/usable. I'll update it this weekend with some better text.

I think you can see over them, but they can hide behind them, because they blocked the shotgun shots in the example from luki.

Exactly. they provide cover, but aren't big enough that you can't see movement on the other side. They're also slightly translucent.

Well, this is off to a confused start. Hopefully things will get clearer as we play Smiley

What's up doc?
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 11:04:10 pm »

If I go EEE and shoot the vux to the south, I will be the only one doing damage this turn, but also the only one being able to move past the door, because I'll occupy the furthest square that you guys can go to Wink.
Koosemose
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 02:32:19 am »

I can go EEE then shoot south. Melee is not possible this turn because I need 4 moves for that, which costs me 2 AP.
Actually you can move up to 5 squares and only consume 1 AP, it's only if you do it in reverse that will leave with 3 move (as in if you use an AP first you will have only 3 move left). but if you move first you can move up to 1 less than your MOV and only consume 1 AP.
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 10:37:36 am »

Actually you can move up to 5 squares and only consume 1 AP, it's only if you do it in reverse that will leave with 3 move (as in if you use an AP first you will have only 3 move left). but if you move first you can move up to 1 less than your MOV and only consume 1 AP.

Once again something that's not properly explained in the rules Wink. The example says something similar for someone with 4 MOV though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length