The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:56:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Coming of Age OOC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Coming of Age OOC  (Read 3330 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
The Coming of Age OOC
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:07:32 pm »

Hey guys. It’s time to play another game. Last time, we were a happy Pkunk figuring out what it really means to be a Pkunk. This time, it’s going to be slightly different.. There are some structural differences sure, but there’s also a pretty big mental leap to take.

But let’s start with what is still the same. You’ll still be reading a story and picking options. The option that gets the most votes is chosen, and then you get to do the same thing again and again until we reach some sort of end. You’ll still be posting your votes in the story thread and other comments/criticisms/feedback right here in the OOC thread. So far, so good eh?

Now for the differences. Technically, this isn’t an ever branching tree like the last one. There are much fewer branches, and some rejoin others later on. There are objects around this time too, only attainable if you choose certain paths. They may open up other options later on. And here’s the kicker. This time around, you can die. And dying doesn’t mean reincarnation; it means the game is over. This isn’t a Sierra game, so there will be some clues as to what is a good idea and what isn’t.

Also like last time, we’ll be playing this with our good buddies over on the SCDB. The new SCDB that is. The story forks dramatically at the beginning, so I’ll be forcing you to take different first choices. The forum with the most posts for an option gets to go that way. Since the stories are quite different, feel free to participate in both if you like.

Storywise, we’re not quite in SC canon territory any more either. We’re far beyond known space and firmly in fan fiction territory. Some of it is based on the discussions in this thread. The rest is all part of my imagination. This may make the game less interesting for some, but I hope you’ll enjoy the ride nonetheless.

Also, feel free to ask as many in-game questions as you want to in the game thread. Our character will answer the best it can, but being young and inexperienced you may not get all the answers.

The story has been pre-written and I’ll update once a week. Maximum length is around two months, minimum around 1 month. Let’s see how well you do. It’s time to grow up.

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age OOC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:10:57 pm »

Okay, so here is the deal. The SCDB had 9 total votes, 5 for the cave and 4 for sailing. The UQMF had 7 total votes with 4 for the cave and 3 for sailing. Both groups would like to go into the caves, but the SCDB had more total votes and more cave votes, so that’s their story. The UQMF will be going sailing instead. From this point onward, the adventures diverge, not to be reunited until the very end of the adventure (or maybe not?). Next update in a week, where you’ll be making a new exciting choice.

Set sail mateys, we’re going to sea!

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:29:59 pm »

So, we've got three votes for 1 and three votes for 2. I flipped a coin and 1 won somehow.

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 06:33:03 pm »

So, we've got nine votes for 1 and no votes for 2. North it is then!

What's up doc?
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:13:18 pm »

I'm glad that this one isn't a spathi vs shofixti choice Wink
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:36:47 pm »

I don't understand what's so odd about seeing clouds on the horizon.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »

I don't understand what's so odd about seeing clouds on the horizon.

Hmm... I seem to have dropped a few sentences in there while proofreading. The clouds are big and dark and only swirl around a certain patch on the horizon. when you get closer you realize that this corresponds to the whirlpool. I guess just having clouds on the horizon isn't that scary Smiley

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »

So, we've got two votes for 1, five votes for 2 and two votes for 3.. It's treasure time! You're a bit more adventurous than the SCDB.

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:04 pm »

All six of you want to continue onwards. Onwards it is!

EDIT: All seven as D999 posted a minute before I finished this post.

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »

Everyone is going below deck. I've written ad choices when everyone agrees Sad

What's up doc?
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:14:36 am »

Is see the SCDB bit it. Now if we just don't do anything stupid we might just make it back.

To me our last choices seemed a little weighted. Hmmm use a quest piece in the game, attack the guard or wait for him to fall asleep?...And the previous choices: Storm straight into the captain's quarters or free the syreen? Let's not make these choices too easy!

btw great story so far and I find it interesting that every SC race seems to be inhabiting the shofixti home world.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

My theories are still developing on why that is. Suffice to say, I don't believe this story takes place on Delta Gorno I. Wink
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:32:45 pm »

Anyone read Niven's RingWorld? I'm pretty positive this is either small version of it, or it's a generation starship.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »

btw great story so far and I find it interesting that every SC race seems to be inhabiting the shofixti home world.

For a certain value of homeworld I suppose that is right.

My theories are still developing on why that is. Suffice to say, I don't believe this story takes place on Delta Gorno I. Wink

Depending on how the poll goes we may get to explore this world further and discover more about it. Maybe then you'll find out more Wink

What's up doc?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 07:59:26 pm »

Mostlyones there I see. Very well then, off we go!

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length