The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 03, 2023, 08:25:03 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Coming of Age
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The Coming of Age  (Read 7106 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 3620


The Ancient One


View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

You’ve been given a task and no mistake! It’s time to head northwards and encounter whatever dark creatures may hide there. Excitement bubbling in your chest, you set sail and head off. This is going to be a fine adventure after all!

After sailing northwards for a while, you spot some clouds on the horizon. This seems strange, as the sky above your head is crystal clear. The clan mostly fishes close to the coast, but you’ve no memory of such an odd phenomenon ever being spotted by them. As you draw closer, the wind picks up and propels your small boat towards the clouds. You feel uneasy, but you aren’t worried yet. Your boat is quick and agile and you feel confident that you’ll be able to turn it around if need be.

After a while, you’re close enough to realize that this is something well and truly strange. The dark clouds on the sky are a mystery in themselves, but what lies beneath them is even more amazing. There is a gigantic whirlpool here, greedily sucking the very sea dry. Your boat jumps and skips happily towards it and you’re gripped by a certain morbid curiosity. What would happen if you were drawn into this? Where would you end up, what would you see?

Your dreams are broken by the realization that you are about to find out. You’re quite close to the whirlpool by now and speeding up by the second. Close by, you spot a small rock protruding from the sea. There’s something on it, an object of some kind. It almost looks like a chest, if chests were cut from stone rather than wood. You realize that you have a split second decision to make. You can still turn back and sail around this gaping maw. Or you could aim for the small islet and attempt a landing. Getting off that rock will be very demanding though. Or maybe, just maybe, you should aim at the whirlpool and go wherever it takes you.

1.   Valor in bravery, honour in courage! Down the rabbit hole we go!
2.   A chest of stone is a wondrous thing. Lets chance it and examine
3.   Lets’ continue onwards, no point in taking a risk like that, even for treasure!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:37:13 pm by Lukipela » Logged

What's up doc?
Dabir
*Smell* controller
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 291



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 06:39:21 pm »

A box o' rocks is a wondrous thing, let's examine it!
Logged
Draxas
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1044



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 06:45:36 pm »

Treasure = adventure! Let's grab it!
Logged
Angelfish
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 568



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2010, 09:12:54 pm »

1) Cheesy
Logged
Alvarin
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 795



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:55 pm »

Let's go for the chest.
Logged
Alen
Zebranky food
*
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 30



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 11:53:48 pm »

Treasure is nice.
Logged
RTyp06
*Smell* controller
****
Offline Offline

Posts: 491



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2010, 01:17:59 am »

#3 Treasure isn't what we came for. Let's steer clear and look for that ship we were told about by the syreen.
Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 3870


We did. You did. Yes we can. No.


View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2010, 04:36:26 pm »

#1. This must be where the creature is!
Logged
Gekko
*Many bubbles*
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 199


Arena regular


View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2010, 08:46:14 pm »

#3 Treasure isn't what we came for. Let's steer clear and look for that ship we were told about by the syreen.
Logged

Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 522



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 08:59:00 pm »

I vote for option 2. Who knows, maybe the "chest" is actually a part of the ship we're looking for!
Logged
Lukipela
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 3620


The Ancient One


View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2010, 07:42:07 pm »

Such a chest must truly contain something valuable. Perhaps it will aid you on your journey, or simply bring you great status when you return. You aim your boat for the small rock and hope for the best.

It’s not easy to get there. Your memories help you to a degree, but no one you can remember has sailed this kind of rough seas before. But you keep a steady course and fight the treacherous waters the best you can. Several times you think your lost, only to snatch back control from the tumultuous waters at the very last instant.

Eventually, you make it. You reach the little rock and make a jumping leap. Landing on the rock isn’t hard. Staying on the slick smooth surface is, especially while trying to tie your boat to the chest to give you a way of eventually leaving. But you manage, even though you slip a few times. Finally, the boat is secure and you are read to open up the chest in front of you.

With an almost solemn feeling, you pry the stone lid open. What it reveals shocks you. Technology! There is a device inside the chest, just one single thing. It looks like a little metal box, but there are small lights and knobs all over it. Such a thing has not been seen in ages. The ability to construct these things is beyond your kind and you know them only from the really old and frayed memories. This is a treasure beyond comprehension and something the tribe will want to know about immediately.

You now face a tough decision. You can decide to return home immediately. This will mean an end to your adventure at this early stage. But to continue would be to risk this precious device to whatever awaits you. What now?

1. Best go home, this is more important than any paltry adventure
2. Pfft, I can protect both the device and myself. Onwards we go!
Logged

What's up doc?
Angelfish
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 568



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 08:23:54 pm »

2 Smiley
Logged
Alvarin
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 795



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »

I  would choose 2, but not for the reason given. I think it is better choice as Shofixti accepted a mission and his honour will demand it's completion.
Logged
Gekko
*Many bubbles*
***
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 199


Arena regular


View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:11 pm »

2. Pfft, I can protect both the device and myself. Onwards we go!
Logged

Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 522



View Profile
Re: The Coming of Age
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2010, 01:06:11 am »

What? Return home so soon? Blasphemy! Number 2 it must be!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Login with username, password and session length

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!