The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:29:12 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Missing dialogue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Missing dialogue?  (Read 8709 times)
Kzzrn
Zebranky food

Come little one, join us in the night.......

View Profile
Missing dialogue?
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:27:08 am »

When I was young, way back in the day I always used to play SC2 on my old 486. Very recently I decided to give UQM a few run throughs for old times sake. Something I noticed is there definately seems to be quite a bit of missing dialogue, things that were said in the original DOS version that seem to be completely absent from UQM. In particular I noticed it more prominently with the Arilou, the Zoq-Fot-Pik, and the Druuge. The ZFP in particular had many things missing, like for example, on your second trip they will say one of their deep range scouts found a vault on chaemaleoparlis (where the Syreen Penetrators were kept) without ever mentioning they sent out scout ships in the first place. They also never seemed to have any information about the doctrinal war except for the Supox and Utwig intervention. That essentially makes them considerably less useful in the game and also less interesting to visit. So how did this happen?

Into the heart of darkness......
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Missing dialogue?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:23 am »

When TFB/Crystal Dynamics created the 3DO version they apparently missed some parts.
As we don't have the speech tracks, these are missing from UQM too.
You can see the differences here.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Steve-O
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

Just out of curiosity, has anyone made a mod of UQM that includes the missing dialogue and removes the voice packs instead?
I enjoy UQM as it is, but I could care less about hearing the dialogue spoken aloud, as long it's all there.
storyyeller
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:10:02 pm »

Personally, I hate the voices. It just ruins the mood when the Orz start talking in a human voice.
Kzzrn
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 11:57:41 am »

Personally I don't bother with speech, being something of a purist myself. Smiley Still, that missing dialogue really did hurt the game and made it a lot less immersive than the original. Is there going to be some way to include it in some sort of classic pc version of UQM or something?

When TFB/Crystal Dynamics created the 3DO version they apparently missed some parts.
As we don't have the speech tracks, these are missing from UQM too.
You can see the differences here.

When I played UQM last the Arilou were even less talkative than that dialogue tree in the link suggests. After you get the portal spawner, you can go back to their homeworld as many times as you want, but there's little to no option for having a conversation. Maybe it's just my memory not being what it used to be, but for compaison's sake can someone in the team download an abandonware copy of the pc version and run it though (with dosbox obviously)? Aside from the missing dialog, sometimes it just feels different to have conversations in the game for some reason, like they repeat themselves much more than before while not saying some pieces of dialogue that were included in UQM. Sorry if it's a little vague, it is still just a feeling.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:05:36 pm by Kzzrn » Logged

storyyeller
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 03:22:35 pm »

I guess that would explain the problems I was having. It seems weird that you are punished for getting the Portal Spawner too early though.
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 05:20:42 pm »

Maybe modifying the setup menu slightly would allow for some choice in the matter.
Under "PC / 3DO compatibility options", there could be a "Dialogue" option which could be toggled between the PC and 3DO text.  And perhaps with the PC text, speech would be disabled completely.

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
"Space is a remorseless, senseless, impersonal fact."
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »

I don't think this change fits into "slight" category - the dialogue tree is one of the basic game structures and changing it I think is more or less rebuilding half of the game or so.
storyyeller
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:57:21 pm »

Only the Melnorme text required recompilation.
The Mycon text is simply a resource change, there's no alteration in the dialogue tree.

Besides, there's no reason why the game can't be reprogrammed so that dialgoue trees are changeable at runtime. Depending on the extent of the changes, it might take a while to program, but it's not like it can't be done.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:59:20 pm by storyyeller » Logged
Kzzrn
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »

I don't think this change fits into "slight" category - the dialogue tree is one of the basic game structures and changing it I think is more or less rebuilding half of the game or so.

Unfortunately it does seem very clear in more than a few cases in game that the dialogue tree isn't working correctly.

On another note, there is a bug with the VUX intruder. When it first comes into battle it is always supposed to jump in next to the enemy, and in the melee it does this. In the campaign it does not, instead jumping to random locations like any other ship. This makes it much more of a pushover than it should have been.

onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:55:43 pm »

Unfortunately it does seem very clear in more than a few cases in game that the dialogue tree isn't working correctly.

On another note, there is a bug with the VUX intruder. When it first comes into battle it is always supposed to jump in next to the enemy, and in the melee it does this. In the campaign it does not, instead jumping to random locations like any other ship. This makes it much more of a pushover than it should have been.

Maybe it was built like this on purpose?

Kzzrn
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 09:02:01 pm »

Maybe it was built like this on purpose?

But why? The was THE feature that made going against anything to be concerned about. It's weapon only has a medium range, it's turn rate sucks, and it's acceleration & top speed is even worse than an Earthling Cruiser (yes, that's right, even a cruiser can outrun it). So without this ability it becomes worse than useless. With it it will at least stand some chance against slow ships, otherwise it will just get nuked into oblivion by a cruiser with ease.

onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 09:04:03 pm »

But why? The was THE feature that made going against anything to be concerned about. It's weapon only has a medium range, it's turn rate sucks, and it's acceleration & top speed is even worse than an Earthling Cruiser (yes, that's right, even a cruiser can outrun it). So without this ability it becomes worse than useless. With it it will at least stand some chance against slow ships, otherwise it will just get nuked into oblivion by a cruiser with ease.

Yeah, but since VUX don't play a major role, and you never control a VUX, the warp-in-close ability would just be a major annoyance.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2010, 09:48:55 pm »

I figure that they haven't had a chance to calibrate their intrusion devices to deal with the Vindicator's exceptional size yet.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 10:14:36 pm »

I just remembered something. UQM Extended Edition supposedly has the dialogue for the Mycon fixed.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length