The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:06:08 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  space strategy games recommendations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: space strategy games recommendations  (Read 15009 times)
up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
space strategy games recommendations
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:14:36 am »

i was wondering if you guys knew of any "4x" or rts space games (not my first post had different accounts) i played the master of Orion seres
Animzor

Email
Re: space strategy games recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 01:17:37 am »

This is a pretty weird topic;  I'm not sure what you're talking about. But if you  want a strategy game Sins of a Solar Empire is probably what you're looking for.
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:00:32 am »

free space 1 & 2 ? and 4x is explore expand exterminate and something else that must not be very important cause I cant remember it

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 10:03:41 am »

free space 1 & 2 ?
I'd describe the FreeSpace series as "space combat simulations".

and 4x is explore expand exterminate and something else that must not be very important cause I cant remember it
Apparently, it's "explore, expand, exploit, and exterminate".

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:54:29 pm »

I liked Pax Imperia. It's old, and some mechanics are abusable, but the strategic-layer AI is pretty decent (not so for the combat layer) and the ship designing was fun. And did I say abusable?

So maybe not.

Spaceward Ho! is older still, simple, and addictive. And you can negotiate meaningfully with the AI players through kinagrams. Customizable scenarios.

And if you want something even older and simpler, with ridiculous levels of customizability, try Galactic Frontiers.
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:57 pm »

Check out Space Empires III, IV and V. Starships Unlimited is pretty cool too.
up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:17 pm »

I liked Pax Imperia. It's old, and some mechanics are abusable, but the strategic-layer AI is pretty decent (not so for the combat layer) and the ship designing was fun. And did I say abusable?

So maybe not.

Spaceward Ho! is older still, simple, and addictive. And you can negotiate meaningfully with the AI players through kinagrams. Customizable scenarios.

And if you want something even older and simpler, with ridiculous levels of customizability, try Galactic Frontiers.

where would i get those i (.abandonia ecc?)
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:59:54 pm »

oops, sorry  Huh

up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:06:00 pm »

oops, sorry  Huh

it's OK and freespace is kind of a strategy game especially before you can tell where the shivans are in fs1
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:28:41 pm »

Galactic Frontiers
http://www.brothersoft.com/games/galactic-frontier.html

Freeware.
Note, Galactic Frontiers is a mac game originally made for System 4 or so, and due to its simplicity, continued to function until system 10.3 (!), but not on intel macs. Lacking a mac, you may need to get a mac emulator. At least 2 free mac emulators exist. Not sure where you're going to get system 5 or 6 without multifinder (those would be my recommended versions for something as simple as this, as they'll let the program completely take over the virtual machine)

~~~
 Spaceward Ho!
http://www.deltatao.com/ho/

apparently, this has been maintained, and is available for modern mac, windows, and palm systems. Shareware.

~~~

Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain can be downloaded from cnet (just google it, they're the first download result). They're not an abandonware site so far as I know, which suggests that it's legit to at least try the game. Way back when, the biggest problem I had with it was how slow it ran while designing ships, due to the continuous 3D renders. That... shouldn't be a problem now.

Interesting trivia tidbit - PI:ED was a Blizzard project that they dropped so that they wouldn't be making their own competition for Starcraft, which they hadn't finished yet. It was assigned to another developer to finish.
up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »

Galactic Frontiers
http://www.brothersoft.com/games/galactic-frontier.html

Freeware.
Note, Galactic Frontiers is a mac game originally made for System 4 or so, and due to its simplicity, continued to function until system 10.3 (!), but not on intel macs. Lacking a mac, you may need to get a mac emulator. At least 2 free mac emulators exist. Not sure where you're going to get system 5 or 6 without multifinder (those would be my recommended versions for something as simple as this, as they'll let the program completely take over the virtual machine)

~~~
 Spaceward Ho!
http://www.deltatao.com/ho/

apparently, this has been maintained, and is available for modern mac, windows, and palm systems. Shareware.

~~~

Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain can be downloaded from cnet (just google it, they're the first download result). They're not an abandonware site so far as I know, which suggests that it's legit to at least try the game. Way back when, the biggest problem I had with it was how slow it ran while designing ships, due to the continuous 3D renders. That... shouldn't be a problem now.

Interesting trivia tidbit - PI:ED was a Blizzard project that they dropped so that they wouldn't be making their own competition for Starcraft, which they hadn't finished yet. It was assigned to another developer to finish.

thanks for the info  Smiley
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 12:13:55 am »

Hey, don't forget Star Control 1! Pretty primitive compared to Master of Orion et al., but loads of fun all the same.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 02:20:22 am »

Hey, don't forget Star Control 1! Pretty primitive compared to Master of Orion et al., but loads of fun all the same.

true and i did almost over look that one thanks for pointing that out to me Smiley
up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 03:28:31 am »

Check out Space Empires III, IV and V. Starships Unlimited is pretty cool too.

is there a first one?
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 04:29:16 am »

There was back in the early 90's. I did a search but couldn't find it. It was pretty weak . You are better off with the newer versions.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length