The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:03:47 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  A quick question for UQMFers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A quick question for UQMFers  (Read 3606 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
A quick question for UQMFers
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »

As you might remember, I used to crosspost SCDB news posts here for a while until I got bored with it. I'm just curious about how many people there are on this forum who since then haven't checked that news, and thus don't know that there is an interview with Paul Reiche up on the PNF (among other things).

So help me out and satisfy my curiosity. I'm just curious as to how many people only ever visit UQMF and the reasoning behind it. Keep in mind, I'm not saying it's wrong in any way. No one has to visit more than one forum, and no one has to be interested in the fandom. It's perfectly all right to just like the game and just check in here every now and then to see what is going on with it. But I'm curious as to if there are five such persons, or fifty. Or five hundred?

What's up doc?
Gekko
*Many bubbles*

Arena regular

View Profile
Re: A quick question for UQMFers
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 07:40:35 pm »

I don't visit The Other Place that often because I've already settled here and aren't interested in discussing fandom stuff really. I use the forum to announce tournaments and similar stuff, and from what I gather there are more net players on this forum.

Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 07:57:13 pm »

I don't visit it because most of the time, the news just doesn't interest me, and I've already read the interesting stuff in the site. I suppose I would take a look at it if I was a member of the SCDB, but I'm not, so I never really come across the news.

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:49 pm »

I don't visit The Other Place that often because I've already settled here and aren't interested in discussing fandom stuff really. I use the forum to announce tournaments and similar stuff, and from what I gather there are more net players on this forum.

This is what I figure most people will answer. If you're already established here, your main interest is the game and not the surrounding stuff, why would you need more than one off topic and General Discussion section? I appreciate the answer, it confirms what I was sort of thinking. Stil interested in how many people liek this there are around. If nothing else, al lot of those people should be interested in NetMelee. I wouldn't discount the SCDB folks totally when it comes to NetMelee, some people like fluffy do seem to take part.

I don't visit it because most of the time, the news just doesn't interest me, and I've already read the interesting stuff in the site. I suppose I would take a look at it if I was a member of the SCDB, but I'm not, so I never really come across the news.

Not much to add except that the site is updated every so often, so it might be worth your while to check back every now and then. We did add the new ship sections a few weeks back and the music page and whatnot are updated every once in a while.

Anyway, I appreciate the answers. Any more takers?

What's up doc?
Resh Aleph
*Smell* controller

Rottem Tomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:13:10 pm »

Well, I like it how there's not that much activity in here (because, being obsessive, I'm forced to read each and every message Cry).

Also, as you know, Luki, I like the fact that the default theme here is dark. Cheesy (In fact, this is the reason I go directly to star-control.com when I see a PNF update on RSS - I seek the darkness. Mmm! Oh, BTW: no, the image does not show up on RSS. Not on PNF's front page either. Had to suffer the brightness for a bit to see it. Oh wow, I'm still within parentheses. Better close them now.)

Marines on Maulers and limpets on Earthlings  /  Bright Podship plasma and warm Kohr-Ah death rings  /
Shofixti Scouts doing gravity whips  /  These are a few of my favorite ships!
       © meep-eep
Animzor

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 01:36:22 am »

I don't know what you're talking about, so I only visit this place.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 07:22:48 am »

I don't know what you're talking about, so I only visit this place.

I'm talking about the Pages of Now and Forever, the biggest fan site I know of. It contains some interesting stuff and links to a lot of other places. It's also home of the Star Control Discussion Board, a forum with a somewhat more active (but still smaller I think) userbase than UQMF has. Some of the really interesting SC stuff will eventually always turn up here, but some things such as the weekly webcomic That Ur-Quan Master only gets posted here once, so it's easy to miss unless you trawl the archives.

See, this is interesting. I'm curious as to how many people found the game, then this site, and then never realised there was anything else out there.

Well, I like it how there's not that much activity in here (because, being obsessive, I'm forced to read each and every message Cry).

So what you're saying is that if UQMF grows more active (when the devs release a new version for example), you'll have to either leave or stay on the foum long enough to read every message? I feel for you. I do read pretty much every message both here and on the SCDB though, so there aren't that many. Or at least I skim.

Also, as you know, Luki, I like the fact that the default theme here is dark. Cheesy (In fact, this is the reason I go directly to star-control.com when I see a PNF update on RSS - I seek the darkness. Mmm! Oh, BTW: no, the image does not show up on RSS. Not on PNF's front page either. Had to suffer the brightness for a bit to see it. Oh wow, I'm still within parentheses. Better close them now.)

Heh. A dark theme is coming, but it'll be a while still. It should have been here already, but we got sidetracked with trying to integrate the old forums posts into the new one. I'm guessing the image doesn't work because I've hosted it on the forum, otherwise it should at least show up on the frobnt page. I'l ltry fixing it after the weekend to see how that works.

What's up doc?
Dragon
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 11:35:10 am »

I'm talking about the Pages of Now and Forever
I've been known to frequent the PNF on occasion Tongue.
Amiga_Nut
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:55:03 pm »

Good stuff Luki... Had a long read and a long laugh.

No one told me that Tsing had some usable models posted to your site.

So far giving the Shofixti a thumbs up.... with you ask Tsing to contact me?

metallic_medium  (at) Yahoo (dot) c0m

Thanks!

I keep my old Amiga on a flash-drive. Tongue

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 07:53:24 pm »

I keep forgetting what PNF means so I had to go to Ultronomicon to find out. 
See, this is interesting. I'm curious as to how many people found the game, then this site, and then never realised there was anything else out there.
Well, I found this out through Fedora 10s repository of games.  (by the way, I'm using Windows Xp right now) I had some trouble (bug) so then I found the Ur-Quan Masters homepage, then I found Bugzilla.  After going to Fedora 11, though, it was fixed so I got to play the game more.  I needed some help so I found the Ultronomicon wiki through the uqm homepage.  I don't remember really how I found this...I think I was looking for a mod.

I never check the SCDB.  So...how will Paul Reiche III get interviewed by PNF?  I mean, how does he interview a fansite? I only visited there a couple times.

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:57 pm »

I've been known to frequent the PNF on occasion Tongue.

Really? I honestly had no idea. Smiley

Amiga Nut: I told you I was putting up loads of models when I was trying to get yours as well. Let's cut a deal, reply to your emails on the subject, hand over some models, data and pictures and I'll  give you a glowing reference. Smiley

Or you could just PM Tsing, that'd probably work too but make me sad. Wink

Valos Cor: Thanks for your description of how you found the game, I appreciate it. It's especially interesting that you found the Wiki from the main page, but not the PNF. Still, if one is only interested in the game and not the comics, fan music and what not then it's not that big a loss.

Regarding the interview, you seem to have gotten confused though. Paul isn't interviewing the PNF, a PNF representative (or me if we want to be less formal) interviewed him about their new game. The interview is on the front page.

What's up doc?
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:23:21 pm »

Thanks.  I'm glad you got to interview him.

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Gekko
*Many bubbles*

Arena regular

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 09:46:53 pm »

Well, I went to the Other Place, wrote half a reply, deleted it. I don't have anything to say! :<

Visit #uqm-arena and play a game of Net Melee!
Try the Net Melee Improvement mod
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 11:26:46 am »

Well, I went to the Other Place, wrote half a reply, deleted it. I don't have anything to say! :<

I think you made a pretty good post and you apparently rejuvenated on of my favourite topics as well, so thanks for that.

To be clear though, the intention of this topic isn't to tell people to post on the SCDB. I'm just interested in the amount of people who play the game, but aren't interested in the comics/RP's/side projects/other stuff and thus don't visit the SCDB and the amount of people who do not know anything but UQMF exists. I just like numbers and approximations. It's the engineer in me.

What this also does of course is letting me know how many people there are on UQMF that are active posters, as opposed to passive ones who skim the forum for interesting topics and only look at those. That gives me an approximation of the size of the UQMF community versus the amount of UQMF posters. Which is also pretty interesting.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their replies so far, any more takers?

What's up doc?
RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 12:55:16 am »

I vist both UQMF and SCDB and read the news regularly. In fact I was going to comment on the interview a while back, but decided against it.

Take your interview, trim out the "fluff" and only keep the Q&A.. What do you have left? There was nothing wrong with your questions and  in no way could I have done it better, however, I was dissapointed in Paul's answers and found litte (if any) substance. Thus the entire episode seemed virtually pointless. His excuses for not meeting with you prior to the interview seemed a bit weak as well.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length