The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:17:01 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Origin of Orz' word "Frumple"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Origin of Orz' word "Frumple"  (Read 26910 times)
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
Re: Origin of Orz' word "Frumple"
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2003, 09:40:44 pm »

Oh boy, it'd almost  be worth doing just to see the look on some1s face...

Is that the "what the hell are you talking about" look, or the "WHAT! I thought you wanted to *show me* something else!!"  Grin

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2003, 10:03:12 pm »

Being the cool guy I am, only the second ever happens to me *cough cough*

What's up doc?
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

Eddie wants Ur-Quan Trophies!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2003, 12:16:06 am »

Actually, I'd just show her a more efficient way of  "bringing the Shofixti race back into existance".

How did Tanaka put it?
I have been granted the ultimate reward, er..  duty. This humble warrior will take the Shofixti maidens you possess gently wake them
and then perform ribald feats of unsurpassed fertility! I have urgent business to attend to.

If she ain't impressed by that - what else could you do?

Greetings from the German Nightmare - Up the Irons!
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2003, 03:10:05 am »

Sorry GM, but seeing as her race isn't on the brink of extinction, it might not work. If you want to learn smooth talk, visit admiral ZEX,

"Luscious, robust human... I have eagerly awaited your return."

and

""Human... we should be friends, not enemies!
The scope of our relationship can grow as close as you wish."

With just a bit of polishing off (substitute human for her name, and leave out the part about enemies, and most importantly of all the part about robust ), you'll do just fine.

What's up doc?
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2003, 01:18:03 am »

Ha, you all probably thought of it already, but I just realized it!

"That is *funny*. You think you *see* Orz but Orz are not *light reflections*. Maybe you think Orz are *many bubbles* too. It is such a joke.
Orz are not *many bubbles* like *campers*. Orz are just Orz.
I am Orz. I am one with many *fingers*. My *fingers* reach through into *heavy space* and you *see* *Orz bubbles* but it is really *fingers*. Maybe you do not even *smell*? That is sad.
*Smelling* *pretty colors* is the best *game*. "

light reflections - which is what we in our univese percept as objects - we see a reflection of light  as it bounces off objects!
Orz are not *many bubbles* - they aren't built of many atoms as we are! Maybe you do cannot even percept that we aren't made of atoms? that is sad. *smelling* = interacting in your universe, percepting new things such as light beams - *pretty colors* is very fun for them.
Smiley

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2003, 01:21:28 am »

Been there done that Smiley but it is a ncie idea, no? i think another theory about that is that the orz are one mind, but we humans aremany sad separate minds...

What's up doc?
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2003, 05:40:25 am »

Talking about Orz - it's way too easy to piss them off.

Our friends the ZFP are much better:

We have revealed ourselves to you. We have held out our appendages to you in friendship! ...and you have treated us like dead Zebrankys. It takes a great deal to anger one of my species, Captain BUT YOU HAVE JUST SUCCEEDED! Attention Shipmates! Man the spray gun! Hoist the tongue! PREPARE FOR BATTLE!
Yeah. Let's toast those creeps!

I like hoisting the tongue - it's the best part  Grin

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2003, 12:52:40 pm »

Orz are not *many bubbles* - they aren't built of many atoms as we are!
Personally, I felt *bubbles* would be living cells. After all, an atom doesn't really look much like a bubble (unless you have some weird way of perceiving electrons as a sort of "shell"), while a cell essentially is a bubble.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Kohr-Ah_Primat
*Smell* controller

Lady Marauder

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2003, 08:59:40 am »

You know, the first time I flew the Fury I was in such a world of pain... I emptied my entire battery into the opponent, a VUX I think. Or i tried to, but I wasn't quite prepared for the three directional shots.. Then I tried to blast him with my special... This didn't work too well, my ship just screamed something. I flew off, narrowly avoiding death, and waited for my batteries to recharge, which of course they didn't. I had a little left in my batteries (well, I'd actually reloaded them but didn't know that). So I went in for another run and emptied the batteries. After that I flew around for ages without recharging. In the end I attempted a suicide run on the planet. And reincarnated... I guess it pays to read the manual.

But yeah, otherwise I like them Smiley

Oye, reading over these older posts of yours, I've been laughing my head off...

I wish my first experience with the Pkunk had been that amusing! I just remember playing with them, and thinking that the only way to regain battery power with them was to kill them off. I'd empty a full battery at a Dreadnought, find a planet to smash into, and then go straight for the Dreadnought again.

However, I remember thinking how incredibly useless the Slyandro probe was, and wondering why the hell it was valued so high when it had such a limited battery.

First time I played Star Control it was SC1.  I played with my brother, in one-on-one battle.  We figured out the controls and the basic concepts pretty quick, and all that was left was to figure out the abilities of each ship.  So we went one on one down the line, my brother choosing the Hierarchy ships and me choosing the Alliance ships.  Finally, I chose the Shofixti scout.  The ensuing battle went something like this:

Me: "Take this!"
(click)
Me: "Huh?  Nothing happened."
(click)
Me: "Nothing's happening!  This ship sucks!"
(click-KABOOM!!!)
My Brother: (hysterical laughter)

I hated that... I remember doing the exact same thing.

We are the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah.
Our nature, the fulfillment of our fate requires your destruction.
You are filth. It is now your time to be cleansed.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2003, 06:34:30 pm »

Right one! I loved these old posts... I kniow the world has turned a lot more serious since these days folks, but we should try and get back to the feeling we had a while back here, where almost every post sooner or later detrioated into me or GM telling weird jokes.... Grin

What's up doc?
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2003, 09:15:47 pm »

...which I never considered such a bad thing after all! I really guess it's about to restart the *happy times* and "jubilation"! Waddaya think, LP? You ready for this?

Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2003, 09:51:45 pm »

nah
it all depends on how you look at the world

perhaps you just need to get new, cool, Oakly $500 shades! that'd give you a new perspective Wink

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2003, 10:20:27 pm »

Well, if you want your perspective to be "I'm cold, wet and hungry cause I can't afford to pay the rent or buy food, but hey, at least I've got my sunglasses....", then I'm sure it's fine. Myself, I'd rather make do with glasses made from the bottoms of two old cokebottles, some string, and a black magic marker, if it meant I could afford a bit more beer....

You're absolutely right GM, we should start *jumoping* during *camping time*, and make the *frumple* go away by *always look at the bright side of life*. Bring it on!!!

Keeping with the origin of your topic, I've been curious about *happy camper* was that an expression b4 SC2 as well? (Bear in mind I heard very litle english when I was young)

Also, in an unarmed battle, who would win? A traddash or an Ilwrath? what about if the judge is a sneaky Arilou?

What's up doc?
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2003, 11:47:42 pm »

Okay, this is how I'm gonna spend my $500:

2 plastic bottles of CokeR (0,5l): $1,- each,
1 paper-cutter: $0,50
1 piece of string (50cm): $0,25
1 black magic marker: $1,25
1 box of Band-AidsR $1,-

Then I drink the liter of CokeR, get all shaky, cut the bottoms out, paint them black, punch holes in them, cut the string accordingly to arrange the bottoms to make my pair of shades, probably cut myself a couple of times during the process (hence the Band-AidsR) because all that coffein gets to me (and I'm clumsy sometimes!).
That leaves me with $495 to spend on rent, food & bills but more importantly: for beer, cigarettes and girls. Well, definitely on smokes and brew anyway!
Still have a pair of nice shades. It says RayBanR on the glass (plastic) but they cost me only $15,- in the streets of New York City and work just fine!

As for your other idea, LP: I would pay to see that fight. Maybe not to see it real and life in person (way too dangerous - but to see it would really be interesting. A huge, bi-pedal Rhino against a huge eight-legged Spider, huh?

Well, considering the typical short-sighted rhino-attack (great speed, no agility, heavy weight, strong body structure, great strength through muscles) of the Thraddash against a venomous-fanged, web-spinning spider like the Ilwrath (great speed, great agility, low weight, fragile body structure, great strength through exo-skeleton): PHEW! I wanna SEE that!

I guess it all depends on who gets to move first and the way the ring would look like (a cage would give the spider too much of an advantage, a plain hall would take the fun out of it, in close quarter fighting the strength to crush the spider's body would give the rhino an advantage?).
Gee! Good topic! (I hereby open this thread also to good 1 on 1 brawls, whereas ZFP count as one species - tag-team! - and would definitely kick, uh, well, lemme see, there's gotta be someone's butt...)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2003, 11:56:52 pm by German_Nightmare » Logged

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2003, 11:54:11 pm »

I'd set them up in something like the Thunderdome, with weapons attached to the walls. the Ilwrath's agility and better ability to climb would be offset by the fact that a Traddash is heavy enough to bounce around like a mad bugger, grap a welding torch, and do some seroius surgery o that muthaspidah!

Wee haa! How bout  a ZFP combo versus two Umgah? The ZFP get to use their platforms, and the Umgahs have a toothbrush each!

495$ eh? Not bad, that'd give you the ride of your life. However, seeing as i was simply going to pick two empty coke bottles off the street, and steal the lead off a dog to make string, I'd say I'll have the entire 500! What? the marker? Oh, I was thinking of using mud instead, we have plenty over ehre.... After that, I'd finally be able to by the location of a Rainbow world off the Melnorme!

What is that you say? Credits and $ aren't the same thing? sure they are, just like € are RUs!!!

What's up doc?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length