The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:10:40 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Android - The Ur-Quan Masters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Android - The Ur-Quan Masters  (Read 3743 times)
DangerMouse
Zebranky food

View Profile
Android - The Ur-Quan Masters
« on: August 05, 2010, 01:14:41 pm »

Anyone here think they'd be able to create a port of this game for android os 2.1+? Where the entire interface is mostly touch screen, tilt sensor controls, and virtual keyboard? I've already managed to get the original Star Control II running on aDosbox, but the problem with that is it seems support for aDosbox has stopped and the virtual keyboard in it has some serious bugs... ie, wrong keys,.. and missing keys from keyboard. It would definitely have been ideal if the aDosbox had support for a 101 virtual keyboard. However I've seen some amazing ports come out such as doom and quake that use the interface options of the android os 2.1 quite well. Wish I had enough programming knowledge to attack this idea on my own.. but I just don't have the programming experience nor background.
DangerMouse
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Android - The Ur-Quan Masters
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:17:52 am »

No-one?  Cry
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 09:22:55 pm »

It can probably be done. There are ports for much simpler platforms and there shouldn't be any legal obstacles.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
DangerMouse
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:13:46 am »

Awesome...  I just want to know if someone with programming experience could take on the challenge. Curious if it can be done with the SL4A which allows for programming to be done locally on the androind os. More info and supported programming languages at http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

There's support for Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua,  and Rhino and soon support for PHP. With more programming language support on the way it's a pretty impressive Android Application.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:19:13 pm »

Star Control 2 / UQM is a C application. If you want it to be in another language, it isn't a matter of porting it (adapting the same code to work on a different platform), but rewriting it.

For the rest... see the forum FAQ.

when the Creators return
starcontrol2 andoidport
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 05:01:38 am »

Ok here is what i know so far.android. has super nintendo emulators that can use a virtual on screen game pad or you a bluetooth controller(wiimote) and it works people! What this means to this project.
 THE STAR CONTROL 2 -- UQM ANDROID 2.1 PORT
#1.  Star control2 Urquan masters on droid 2.1 and up must support bluetooth controllers. Physical hardware buttons  and virtual on screens buttons
#2.must support multiplayer melee, locally ala wifi and online worlidwide with 3G. 4G. Wifi
#3. Must support all extra files and sounds that are available 3DO addons. PC menu's
#4. Most android droids 2.1 and up ar at least 600 mhz....most are 1ghz now and a GPU power vr cpu(close to what ran the dream cast)  so all options on pc should and will work on the androids 2.1 and up
#5. Leadboards if possible
#6. New droids also have hdmi output...mmmmhhhh star control2 uqm on he big screen playing online with a wiimote...that would be awesome!
Please let's get some traction on this. There is a port that runs o. Nokias...its possible people.
DangerMouse
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 05:49:40 am »

mmm hmm, Droid X hdmi output support.. that would definitely be sweet.
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:12:55 pm »

Well, you need someone who
1. has the required skills
2. has an Android phone
3. has the time to port it
4. cares about an Android port

Personally, I'm missing 2 and 3.

when the Creators return
DangerMouse
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 03:51:42 am »

Well that doesn't exclude the many that do have it and that have the interest. Perhaps since you have some expertise in the required skills department, perhaps you'd at least lend a helping hand in the project for people that may lack in the required skills department. The emulator for android is readily available online, and thus not having an android isn't a problem since the emulator is directly from motorola. At least you didn't say you were missing #4. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 04:09:49 am by DangerMouse » Logged
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:37:36 pm »

If someone who wishes to work on this project has any questions I could answer, they know where to find me.

when the Creators return
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length