The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:12:49 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  revitalizing the forum
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: revitalizing the forum  (Read 5509 times)
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: revitalizing the forum
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:41:42 am »

oh well, it must just be me.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »

Wow, you care about praise from a magazine that recenly was completely sold off for the lofty sum of $1?

It has a lot of readers, though. Bad business decisions aside, what they write usually means something.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 06:22:17 pm »

It's also probably the most liberal media operation attempting to present itself as unbiased currently (at least in the US, that I'm aware of). As we all know, partisanship in the news sells, because people want to read / listen to things they agree with.
Zeracles
Frungy champion

Icon of X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 01:58:34 pm »

Besides, I don't post over there anymore
Those forum ranks were really getting to you, huh?

'kay. We've had a record winter and a record summer up here in Finland. Except for some trombs the weather has been awesome, better than in the last 20 years.
Stop trivialising it! Angry This is serious. You may be looking forward to regularly frolicking in sun-bathed meadows, but some of us who live just a hundred metres inland have waterfront views in prospect, doubling our house prices overnight!

Were the number one country in the world anyway (according to newsweek) so it's only fair that we reap the benefits of this lovely phenomenon.
Per capita, you're probably the best country for star control, rivalled only by the Dutch perhaps.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 02:01:05 pm by Zeracles » Logged

Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 12:05:29 am »

Stop trivialising it! Angry This is serious. You may be looking forward to regularly frolicking in sun-bathed meadows, but some of us who live just a hundred metres inland have waterfront views in prospect, doubling our house prices overnight!

There is nothing serious about something that no one can even prove exists. It's all just a bunch of hyperbole.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 02:28:34 am »

There is nothing serious about something that no one can even prove exists. It's all just a bunch of hyperbole.

Um... you're joking... right?

Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 02:36:39 am »

No, not really. All you've really got as proof are a collection of so-called scientists digging around the polar ice caps and screaming "The ice is melting! Help!!!!".

Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 03:51:52 am »

Oh no, here we go again... Take2 of the Global Warming thread...
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 05:52:41 am »

No, not really. All you've really got as proof are a collection of so-called scientists digging around the polar ice caps and screaming "The ice is melting! Help!!!!".

No... that isn't it at all. The proof is that the global average temperature is increasing much higher than it has been for millions of years. Not incidentally, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has increased along with it. I think that, just before my last departure (and just before the huge GCC debate that I missed most of Sad), I mentioned the video series, How It All Ends, to someone here. It's a great video series on the subject that was made about 3 years ago. Here, I'll link you to it:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=92EE5DBE2987982F

Start with How It All Ends, then How It All Ends: Index and/or How It All Ends: Menu.

Side note: YouTube made it a serious PAIN to find a link to that playlist. In fact, I only found it because it turns out that the user posted a link to it in the first video's description. WTF is wrong with you, Google?! >_>

That same guy has also since written a book which is similar to the How It All Ends series, and since it is newer, it is probably better and more organized.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 05:55:28 am by onpon4 » Logged

ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2010, 06:40:28 am »

eh, even if the world isn't warming, can all that crap in the atmosphere be good?

Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 07:13:17 am »

It won't matter if we plant enough trees. So get to work!  Tongue

RTyp06
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2010, 09:35:35 am »

eh, even if the world isn't warming, can all that crap in the atmosphere be good?

Yes. Common sense say's that you err on the side of caution. Even if global warming wasn't true(contrary to the majority of scientists and satelite data) wouldn't it be better to get away from fossil fuels and decrease our carbon footprint anyway? Besides, I'm tired of reading about coal mine collapses, mountain top removal, oil spills and tap water that lights on fire. Those should be reason enough alone.

This is the 21st century not the 19th. We have the technology, lets use it.
Zeracles
Frungy champion

Icon of X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 03:40:59 am »

I hope you're the only one who failed to notice the sarcasm in my last post. Notice how I was looking forward to sea level rise? I was trying to keep things moving in a far more whimsical direction than they've now taken, but by all means persist and watch as my estimation of your intelligence decays exponentially.

EDIT: Whoops, this could be taken the wrong way. I'm mostly just saying I don't esteem skeptics of the established science on this topic highly, to put it mildly.

Oh no, here we go again... Take2 of the Global Warming thread...
Oh yeah, no-one ever posted about all the investigations of that leaked email thing turning up nothing at all. I haven't checked, but I assume all the vapid retards skeptics who were crowing about it haven't shut up.

It won't matter if we plant enough trees. So get to work!  Tongue
Or if we cull enough humans. So get to work! Tongue
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:25:38 am by Zeracles » Logged

Fear not the Arch Viles and Spectres of the Deepest Reaches, for the X is strong in this place.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »

vapid retards skeptics

You were right the first time. This isn't skepticism.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 08:21:14 pm »

I think you mean house values. Or don't you own your own home? In that case, capitalistically speaking, you don't deserve a home because you haven't accrued enough worth.  Besides, you can hardly see stars from the seafront, shouldn't you bee in the mountains somewhere? Wink

Hey Zeratul! I thought you left the forum. We're missing you in the other thread, please come back and reply.

What's up doc?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length