The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:08:07 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Which Star Control species is your favorite and why? Which annoy you?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Which Star Control species is your favorite and why? Which annoy you?  (Read 11367 times)
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
Re: Which Star Control species is your favorite and why? Which annoy you?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »

Least favorite: The Faz...I just don't trust those guys.

Weren't they annihilated by the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah? I don't think you can dislike someone you have never met.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 07:11:10 am »

I found that a bit hard to do... do humans count? :p (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...)
I find that I must agree that I really like the Yehat too.  Their sense of honor and loyalty and their story are the reasons.  Same with the Shofixti but there's something about them that seem to make me not like them so much (only met one in the game of course).  I love the Yehat accent Smiley  I really like the Spathi too because of their knowledge and bits of wisdom, as well as humour and their cool ship.  Spathi Eluders are one of my favorite (absolute favorite for use in the early to mid parts of the game) ships.  The Syreen are wonderful not just because of their pretty females, but also because of their history and its similarities with ours.
My least favorites are NOT the Ur-Quan.  I understand their pain and why they do what they do.  I think the Utwig are just a bunch of crybabies and their happiest moment is like "Ohhhh....happpy...day......" (I'm gonna die....*...*)  I really dislike the Druuge.

Conclusion
Best: Syreen, Yehat, Spathi
Neutral: Pkunk, Thraddash, Chmmr, Melnorme...etcetera...
Least: Vux, Druuge, Utwig

I forgot the Vux...boy are they prejudiced!   I spent "days" apologizing - and apart from the humor - all I got was a useless apology and confession that the Vux are worse than humans.  Zex was some pervert who betrayed you in the game, and, in my opinion, their ships practically suck.  I know they're probably good against a lot of ships, but they are no where near my favorite.  Oh, and the Druuge ships aren't that good either.

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 01:52:23 am »

I forgot the Vux...boy are they prejudiced!   I spent "days" apologizing - and apart from the humor - all I got was a useless apology and confession that the Vux are worse than humans.  Zex was some pervert who betrayed you in the game, and, in my opinion, their ships practically suck.  I know they're probably good against a lot of ships, but they are no where near my favorite.  Oh, and the Druuge ships aren't that good either.

"Welcome back to total annihilation, where, as they say once is silatious, twice is phlagrant melons but the third time is when it really hurts. Please stay seated until your vessel starts smoking then feel free to dash your head painfully against the floor."

Actually, I like the Vux. They have great lines as well as an excellent starship. If you can make good use of the limpets, you're unstoppable.

oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 02:22:53 am »

Actually, I like the Vux. They have great lines as well as an excellent starship. If you can make good use of the limpets, you're unstoppable.

Not quite unstoppable, Earthling can blow it to smithereens without really trying hard (assuming we are not talking about the first battle of a match). Still can usually pull its weight.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 03:35:00 am »

Not quite unstoppable, Earthling can blow it to smithereens without really trying hard (assuming we are not talking about the first battle of a match). Still can usually pull its weight.

That's really ironic! The Vux harbor an extreme hatred for humanity and yet have difficulty competing with the Earthling cruiser.

Nothing is unstoppable except perhaps the flagship in ideal configurations. Still, you usually receive very little opposition if you've managed to latch enough of the delightful little mollusks onto the enemy ship. There is nothing I like better to do in melee than see how many ships I can (practically) immobilize using limpets. Slylandro probe is a particularly challenging target. The results are hilarious if the tactic works, however.

Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 05:49:20 am »

... And against AI just park on the other side of the planet and see it kill itself Smiley
Terrell
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:13:33 pm »

Least favorite: The Faz...I just don't trust those guys.

Weren't they annihilated by the Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah? I don't think you can dislike someone you have never met.

No I think they were slave-shielded by the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za.

The Yuli, Drall, and Taalo were killed by the Ur-Quan under Dynarri compulsoin, the Yuptar were destroyed by the Kohr-Ah as described by the Kzer-Za.  (Before we could stop them, they burned the Yuptar race's homeworld).  The Mael-Num were the ones who spoke "the words" that caused the Kohr-Ah to stop and explain, allowing the Kzer-Za to show up.  While the Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah fought the Mael-Num, one eyed creatures, escaped, never to be found again.  That leaves the Faz, which is likely the race the Kzer-Za is referring to when they mention a race that they slave-shielded.  

It's possible that the Faz may still be alive, slave shielded on their homeworld.  Maybe not.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:15:59 pm by Terrell » Logged
chenjesuwizard
*Many bubbles*

I support Project6014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2010, 06:46:41 pm »

It seems likely.
I always thought the Utwig might be the descendents of the Faz. They came from the planet Fahz.
Quote from: ultronomicon
Eventually, the Chimt's tendrils reached up to what the Utwig refer to as the "sky canopies of Fahz," causing "the veils" to fall. The nature of these canopies and veils is again unknown, as the Utwig do not elucidate further on the topic.
I thought the veils might be the slaveshield.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 07:11:35 am »

That theory has been bandied about before, but isn't that likely. The Melnorme only refer to one Mileu race from our sector of space, which would be the Taalo, which means the Faz are likely somewhere else, possibly still stuck under their slave shield. Of course, with 20000 years to try to find a way out, maybe they broke it on their own, or died out for one reason or another.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 10:31:21 pm »

[...] or died out for one reason or another.

Doubtful, unless their home star died out.

Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 03:58:15 pm »

Or killed each other underneath the slave shield, or there was a planetwide pandemic, or massive climate change, or...
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 09:26:04 pm »

Or killed each other underneath the slave shield, or there was a planetwide pandemic, or massive climate change, or...

None of those would completely wipe out the species.

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 10:02:43 pm »

Yeah... I don't think they would kill all of the species. 

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 12:32:59 am »

So, your theory is that extiction is impossible when a species of sentients is left to their own devices? Perhaps you guys aren't thinking this through.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 12:38:01 am »

No, I mean pandemics and warfare or massive climate change should probably leave SOME survivors.  Of course, extinction of one's own species by themselves is easily possible....Doomsday bomb? 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length