The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:32:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Windows filenames?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Windows filenames?  (Read 1413 times)
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Windows filenames?
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:42:15 pm »

This is just an interest question.

Is anyone here familiar with how file names are handled in Windows?

What I know is that, with current Windows versions, it is possible to use the 8.3 file format to reference a file. Before, I assumed that this is just a conversion of the normal file name. But my school's programming, desktop publishing, digital imaging, and robotics teacher (I suppose you could call him the "computers" teacher) seemed to imply earlier that their machines (which run Windows XP Professional) actually uses the 8.3 format, with a conversion applied to get it to the "normal" file name.

I'm asking because I was always under the impression that the 8.3 format was abandoned after the FAT16 file system.

Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Windows filenames?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:00:57 am »

I'm pretty sure it was abandoned with Win NT, yeah. I know for sure that they tossed many of the more useless DOS conventions out the window (har!) when they made that and XP (as well as not basing them on the DOS code, unlike Win 95/98).
jucce
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 04:35:57 am »

This is just an interest question.

Is anyone here familiar with how file names are handled in Windows?

What I know is that, with current Windows versions, it is possible to use the 8.3 file format to reference a file. Before, I assumed that this is just a conversion of the normal file name. But my school's programming, desktop publishing, digital imaging, and robotics teacher (I suppose you could call him the "computers" teacher) seemed to imply earlier that their machines (which run Windows XP Professional) actually uses the 8.3 format, with a conversion applied to get it to the "normal" file name.

I'm asking because I was always under the impression that the 8.3 format was abandoned after the FAT16 file system.
It seems they maintain 8.3 support for backwards compatibility, look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename
Also you can read the articles about NTFS and FAT.

actually uses the 8.3 format, with a conversion applied to get it to the "normal" file name.
How would that work? If the 8.3 name is "MICROS~1.EXE" but the full name is "Microsoft Media Player.exe" you couldn't convert or guess that from the shortened version.
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 10:21:15 am »

How would that work? If the 8.3 name is "MICROS~1.EXE" but the full name is "Microsoft Media Player.exe" you couldn't convert or guess that from the shortened version.
In FAT, each long file name is encoded as a bunch of extra directory entries, but these entries have a slightly different format and are not really short file names; this is to ensure that systems without long file name support (e.g. MS-DOS) ignore them. NTFS (usually) still keeps track of short file names so that DOS and Windows 3 programs can use them, but is primarily based on long file names.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length