The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:30:11 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Theoretical Immortality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Theoretical Immortality  (Read 3718 times)
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
Theoretical Immortality
« on: September 23, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »

Split from the "Can computers be made to feel?" thread. I thought the topic was fascinating and would hate to see it doomed to the fate of derailing another thread.

Now please, continue to discuss immortality and its many perks/drawbacks. I look forward to participating.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Theoretical Immortality
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »

Wouldn't it be possible to live forever if you yourself was energy?  I don't know.  That wouldn't make sense either, I suppose.

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:19:23 am »

Have a nuclear reactor implanted.

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:40:16 am »

Hehe...

Well, technically it wouldn't forever, and technically, it wouldn't work. 

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
up turned crafish
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 01:15:02 am »

say one person became immortal the rest of the human race would evolve and what would happen by the time the universe ends? would this one human remain?
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 01:58:07 am »

say one person became immortal the rest of the human race would evolve and what would happen by the time the universe ends? would this one human remain?

Disregarding those last two questions that were hypothetical nonsense, I believe the one human untouched by age nor death would in time be to future humans as the caveman is to us. He would be considered hideous and repugnant. Even if this did not occur, life would become an extremely dull existence. Mathematically, one's perception of time speeds up as he ages. Entire generations would live and die so quickly to you, it all would seem insignificant. This might also be part of the reason why the Kohr-Ah see other sentient life as filth. Their life spans are so abnormally long that they find everyone else drops like flies.

oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 01:59:35 am »

Wouldn't it be possible to live forever if you yourself was energy?  I don't know.  That wouldn't make sense either, I suppose.

According to SC3 it makes total sense!

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 02:01:28 am »

According to SC3 it does!

Abomination!!! No further discussion is necessary.

Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 02:56:36 am »

If one would use his own energy to survive, he'd be changed and diminished by time passage, to the point of loosing control of the energy and simply dissipating.
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 03:14:30 am »

Mathematically, one's perception of time speeds up as he ages.

Where do you get that from?

Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 04:56:03 am »

Probably pure logic. Any memory storage device (such as brains) is finite, so to keep up with the increased usage due to lifetime increase the smaller detail would have to be dropped, leaving much less detail of passed experiences, thus time will subjectively "speed up".
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 12:10:11 pm »

Probably pure logic. Any memory storage device (such as brains) is finite, so to keep up with the increased usage due to lifetime increase the smaller detail would have to be dropped, leaving much less detail of passed experiences, thus time will subjectively "speed up".

Not exactly. Time won't seem to pass faster, you'll just forget much of the past. This happens on a day-to-day basis; do you remember when you were born? When you first used the toilet? Probably not, because these things happened early in your life, and they aren't particularly important memories. If you lived for 900 years, the first 30 years of your life would be very much forgotten in the same way. This doesn't mean that days seem to pass faster at all; it might mean you underestimate your life span, but that's about it.

SweetSassyMolassy
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 04:45:05 pm »

Not exactly. Time won't seem to pass faster, you'll just forget much of the past. This happens on a day-to-day basis; do you remember when you were born? When you first used the toilet? Probably not, because these things happened early in your life, and they aren't particularly important memories. If you lived for 900 years, the first 30 years of your life would be very much forgotten in the same way. This doesn't mean that days seem to pass faster at all; it might mean you underestimate your life span, but that's about it.

Not remembering when you're born or took your first crap might have more to do with your brain not being fully developed at that age.

I am not always understand about what you speak, unfortunately.
ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

I'd go with that ^

And so you only remember the important stuff.

Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:41 pm »

This might also be part of the reason why the Kohr-Ah see other sentient life as filth. Their life spans are so abnormally long that they find everyone else drops like flies.

Where'd this come from? I don't recall the Ur-Quan discussing their lifespans at all, jut that their species as a whole is rather old.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length