The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 10:08:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21 Print
Author Topic: Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod  (Read 118139 times)
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:46 am »

Great!

Just one question: is it necessary to make an installer that needs download files from the Internet? Can't everything be packed into a single file? If it's the size that worries you, I'd not think about it. Google Drive, for example, is really excellent for storage and completely free.  Wink

Actually, no.  The problem lies with our hosting on Google Code. Now you would think with a company like Google, we would have more than 200 MB of upload space, but...we don't.  So, we have to break the files up.  This is just a pain in the butt... So, I've made the decision to join my Ur-Quan Masters brethren and host the files on Sourceforge.  I'm uploading the Windows version now. It's just a single zip file.  I'll post a link later. Everything is all in the "Ur-Quan Masters HD - Alpha1.zip".

At the risk of confusing some... On a completely unrelated known, I've thrown the add-on files into their own separate zip files, because the thousands of individual files takes forever to unzip otherwise.   They're in the content folder. The game will also run whether you keep those files zipped or not.  So, feel free to unzip it and snoop around. I just like the idea of people viewing how the game works. Maybe it will inspire people to make their own mods.  Smiley

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2012, 07:23:12 am »

I would much rather have a self-contained installer that doesn't tether the install to a website anyway.  What's the total size?
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2012, 07:27:20 am »

567 MB Zipped. Most of the files are compressed already so it's only 604 MB unzipped. That's including the 4x, 2x, original images, and voices.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2012, 08:51:46 am »

It's literally taken years to do....but I've finally done it.

I'm proud to announce the first version of Ur-Quan Masters - HD  is ready for download on Windows.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

It's just an alpha, and the 640x480 mode isn't supported yet.  We'll get to that in version 2.

Any bugs, for now, post them here:
http://code.google.com/p/uqm-hd/issues/list

I'll post a feature list tomorrow. My mouse button isn't working too well.  Let me know what you guys think.  It's your support that has kept me pushing on Smiley

- Damon
Salk
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:17 am »

When I registered on Google Drive, I got 2 GB free storage space to start with.

Are you sue you can get the same?

EDIT: Just noticed your release! Great job!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 08:56:31 am by Salk » Logged
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2012, 08:57:17 am »

Also, it sounds like I'm boasting like it was all me. I've got good friends, and a great team that has helped out.  Team 6014 has put in a huge amount of work on this.  Bravo gentlemen!

- Damon
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:26 am »

And a cool Youtube video courtesy of Jim from Jimplaysgames.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PUsLMSLam0

- Damon
Salk
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:46 am »

My sincere congratulations to the whole team involved!

Cheers!
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2012, 10:14:15 am »

567 MB Zipped. Most of the files are compressed already so it's only 604 MB unzipped. That's including the 4x, 2x, original images, and voices.

Did you need to modify the voice files?  If not, I'd suggest that you let people download the voice content pack from its official location (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sc2/uqm-0.7.0-voice.uqm?download).  That would make your download quite a bit smaller, and eliminate an unnecessary fork of the voice pack.
Salk
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2012, 10:33:22 am »

dczanik,

may I ask you what the next versions are going to accomplish?

I know that on top of fixing bugs, you'll want to make the 640x480 mode available. What else?  Smiley
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:37 am »

Hmm...something that I just noticed:  It seems like the profiles of some ships are different than they were before.  For example, the Avatar is a fair amount narrower than it used to be.  That's actually going to make a material difference in the effectiveness and power balance of the ships, since a smaller profile will make it harder to hit.
drewtwo99
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2012, 03:43:43 pm »

Congratulations!!!!

I am *so* excited to see this finally come to fruition.

I am sharing it with everyone I know to spread the word.

This is easily, single-handedly the greatest thing that has happened to video gaming since possibly the release of Star Control II itself.

Congratulations once again on everyone's hard work, and thank you so, so, so much for doing this. I know it took years and years, and probably 99% of all fan-projects like this end up dead after a few months from lack of interest or motivation.

I cannot say enough nice things to the creators of this fan mod. Do any of you have any way to accept donations via paypal because I would gladly donate if it's possible.

Thank you thank you thank you once again for putting a fresh coat of paint on one of the best video games ever made.

The only frustrating part about this is that I can't download it and play it for another few weeks because I'm stuck on a boat that barely has enough bandwidth for these forums, let alone to download the HD Mod zip.

Thanks again!!!! I can't say it enough Smiley
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2012, 04:03:26 pm »

Congratulations! Downloading now. Do you need me to upload this mediafire? I can and will if necessary.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »

I'd love this everywhere and anywhere! Unless there's problems with sourceforge and its 15 mirrors, I don't see any problems though.

And now, we've released for Mac!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/urquanmastershd/

Linux, should be coming soon.

- Damon
xolotl
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2012, 07:08:53 pm »

It's literally taken years to do....but I've finally done it.

I'm proud to announce the first version of Ur-Quan Masters - HD  is ready for download

Oh, awesome.  That looks fantastic - great job to all involved!

Linux, should be coming soon.

Were you going to be releasing sourcecode too?  Either as a patch or a separate tree entirely?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 07:11:47 pm by xolotl » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length