The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:14:15 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Print
Author Topic: Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod  (Read 118418 times)
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Ur-Quan Masters HD Mod
« Reply #255 on: May 26, 2013, 06:30:18 pm »

(It's interesting that they can ship uqm with its sound and data files from the 3do but not the movies files? Oh well)

The sound/data files were done by TFB, and the copyright reverted to them when Accolade was going under along with the code. The 3DO movies were done by a different company which Crystal Dynamics employed, as far as anyone knows either this company or Crystal owns them still.

Of course the spinning moves don't work but then no one ever did work on that on the uqm side of things.

Interesting... I thought that ship spins were supported as of UQM 0.7.0. Do they fail for you in normal UQM as well?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:06:17 pm by oldlaptop » Logged

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 26, 2013, 07:44:19 pm »

Interesting that Crystal Dynamics didn't do the voices even though they were only used in their 3do port.

Anyway.  I didn't realize that they were suppose to work.  i was going by the outdated http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Technical_FAQ#How_do_I_use_the_3DO_intro_and_victory_movies_in_the_game.3F And havn't seen any changes in the game.  How are you suppose to bring up the ship info?
[edit]

Oh it does work, and alt was the button.  I just started pressing random buttons while in super melee and did it. Again they only play in 2x or lower
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:28:22 am by darklord42 » Logged
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 30, 2013, 09:57:29 pm »

I've created a preliminary Android port of UQM HD mod, could you please test it and report bugs? I'm planning to put it to Google Play when HD mod will release Beta 1.
1280x920 gives 7 FPS on my Galaxy Note, and sometimes 2 FPS during battle, 640x480 runs smoothly though. UQM uses internal SW video surface for rendering, and the code is way too complicated to switch to proper HW-accelerated rendering, so it will be slow on most devices. I'm sure there are devices that can handle 1280x920 (Nexus 10 should be fine).
Also, what about new on-screen controls? Are they easy to learn and use?
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:38 am »

I've created a preliminary Android port of UQM HD mod, could you please test it and report bugs? I'm planning to put it to Google Play when HD mod will release Beta 1.
1280x920 gives 7 FPS on my Galaxy Note, and sometimes 2 FPS during battle, 640x480 runs smoothly though. UQM uses internal SW video surface for rendering, and the code is way too complicated to switch to proper HW-accelerated rendering, so it will be slow on most devices. I'm sure there are devices that can handle 1280x920 (Nexus 10 should be fine).
Also, what about new on-screen controls? Are they easy to learn and use?

I have a Galaxy Note 2 phone.
Performance: 4x, was about 12-15 fps.  2x: Seemed perfectly fine. Should this be the default?
Graphics: Slightly stretched out. Little graphic anamoly being moved up higher. Probably due to the on-screen controls.

I'll test out with a Galaxy Note 10.2 tablet tonight.  I'd test here, but work would kill me for using the bandwidth Smiley

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 31, 2013, 01:55:34 am »

So, should I make 640x480 the default? That will also reduce downloaded data size from 500Mb to 150Mb, and I can make 4x graphics an optional download, like voice and music remixes.
Could you please give more detail about graphics anomaly, preferably a screenshot? (it's Power+Volume Down buttons on Galaxy phones). I've moved game menu higher, so it would not collide with on-screen buttons, and also made horizontal crew/energy panels in melee, so that second player can see them. Two-player melee is still experimental, and I would like to hear some opinions about it.

Edit: I moved 4x graphics into separate package, please re-download the file, uninstall it first for best results.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:54:58 am by pelya » Logged
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: May 31, 2013, 05:01:29 am »

So, should I make 640x480 the default? That will also reduce downloaded data size from 500Mb to 150Mb, and I can make 4x graphics an optional download, like voice and music remixes.
Could you please give more detail about graphics anomaly, preferably a screenshot? (it's Power+Volume Down buttons on Galaxy phones). I've moved game menu higher, so it would not collide with on-screen buttons, and also made horizontal crew/energy panels in melee, so that second player can see them. Two-player melee is still experimental, and I would like to hear some opinions about it.

Just tried it on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I'll upload pictures later.
4x Performance was probably in the 15-20 fps range. Slightly faster. Though I did not remove background programs on my phone.
The running the video in a seperate thread produced graphic errors.

2x (640x480) is probably the right choice until hardware acceleration can be implemented.  4x should be a separate download. I have the latest (or close to the latest) android phone and tablet you can get.  Unless you want a lot of low ratings, I think 640x480 is the best option for now.

Landing on a planet produced the lander graphic, but it wasn't wiped away after exit.  There's an issue with bringing up the lander menu higher. The HD game has an option to show you mineral values that takes that extra space.  You can probably replace that with the 1x, or 2x version of that file so everything can fit better.  The starmap also produces a help section where it shows you the keys you can use on the map.

Two player is awesome.  Haven't tried it with another player, I'll do this tomorrow. Looks fantastic.

I got to get back to work on the last touches on Beta 1 Cheesy

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 31, 2013, 06:49:24 am »

I've tried to change lander info position in the code, and failed Sad so I won't touch it for now. UQM UI code is way too complicated.
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 01, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »

With help from superbutcherx, I was able to move UI elements that got obscured by on-screen controls (radar in hyperspace, lander info while on planet, ship/module info in starbase). 640x480 mode is now the default, with 160Mb download, and there is optional 1920x960 package, which is 360Mb.
I think it's almost ready for release. The regular UQM app will now show a dialog to download UQM HD on first start, so they will be released simultaneously.
The only thing that may cause bugs are translation packages, I've used my old UQM 0.7.0 packages, and some fonts might be missing (please re-install app if you're updating, because my old content packages are missing translated fonts).
New .apk file, source archive, my Git repository, also I did few changes in uqm.key and menu.key, here's my repackaged content package.

darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 01, 2013, 11:02:40 pm »

interesting! would it work with a kindle fire?  I get a "Failed connecting to data.zip" after its done downloading
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 11:43:47 pm by darklord42 » Logged
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 02, 2013, 03:23:37 pm »

interesting! would it work with a kindle fire?  I get a "Failed connecting to data.zip" after its done downloading
Yes it would, and thanks for bugreport, I've forgot to add that file. Please try to install updated package.
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 02, 2013, 04:23:58 pm »

Nice it works now!  Thank-you!

I saw the code,  you guys are so close to the beta.  Congratulations!  Smiley
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 02, 2013, 08:30:21 pm »

I gave it a try pelya.  You guys are right, the 2x textures are the way to go for now, even on this thing which isn't a phone.  The controls take some getting use too. I keep having trouble moving forward after turning.  With the virtual joystick you almost have to tap the direction to travel twice.  Aside from that, my only complaint is that there isn't a good way to skip through long intro sequence yet.

Speaking of intro sequence,  I know this isn't an issue with the android app so much as the urm-hd near beta side of things.  I just compiled the game an noticed the same thing on my mac.   I'm not sure if it's because I messed with the resolution settings, but once you get off of the default settings, the opening slides shrink and are in the top left corner.  They don't seem to be scaling properly. Sad
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 09:11:59 pm by darklord42 » Logged
pelya
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 02, 2013, 09:22:45 pm »

The controls take some getting use too. I keep having trouble moving forward after turning.  With the virtual joystick you almost have to tap the direction to travel twice.

Do you have any ideas how to make them better? My previous Android UQM port was even worse - you could rotate the ship if you only used the tiny central part of joystick, otherwise it would turn on thrust, this worked only on 7' or larger devices.

Aside from that, my only complaint is that there isn't a good way to skip through long intro sequence yet.

Well, I've got complaints about on-screen buttons during intro sequence, so I've hidden them. You can try pressing Menu key, if you have it on your device.
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 02, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »

oh that worked, there is just no clue to do that.  I think it would it make sense to have the whole screen as an invisible button for that instance so just a tap will move on. Is that possible?  Touch the screen would be the first thing anyone would try to do.

As to a better method of control I'm not sure.  With tablet/smart phone ports, i always find control rather poorly.  To make it work at all is quite an accomplishment.  Smiley And your implementation where you have the ship facing in the direction where the joystick points is smart,  and the best you could do with that, but it's still awkward.
I think the best implementation is to look at the way the pocket edition of minecraft does it with a virtual directional pad.   You see, the joystick doesn't really work because the controls themselves aren't really analog.  You are in fact simulating keyboard commands so it would be better to have digital controls.  Ergo, a directional pad would be more natural.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:28:36 pm by darklord42 » Logged
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 02, 2013, 10:26:53 pm »

This is just personal taste, but I think you should default to the 3do pictogram scheme for menus and lander. To me the console has more in line with the tablet then the pc so it's best presentation for the android.   you just have to move the icons up a bit. as they arnt lined up and are under the 2 buttons you have
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:31:45 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length