The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:25:19 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project6014 demo release
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print
Author Topic: Project6014 demo release  (Read 64692 times)
chischis
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Project6014 demo release
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2010, 02:24:14 pm »

My apologies if I came across as overly defensive. You found something disagreeable and so I was trying to reassure you that what is in the demo game play-wise is not representative of how 95% of the final game will be played.

Trouble is, game game play is intertwined with story to a higher degree than the original so I cant really reveal all the cool gameplay aspects that we're planning without giving away story spoilers.

There is my delemma!

It's likely that it was the same-old "text sucks" problem when having a debate, Cedric.  So thanks, but I think it was a misunderstanding - I'm definitely a sucker for the explore and horde "dungeon-crawl" type of gameplay so perhaps that might explain my feelings. (And my addiction to Minecraft, gah!) Smiley  I am very much looking forward to WHATEVER form of Project6014 is released in future.  This is the closest the Star Control 2 fan-base has come to seeing some sort of proper sequel to the game, so perhaps I'm not the only one nearly frothing at the mouth to play this!  And yes, no spoilers wanted or needed. Wink  Good luck!
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

Captain in the Black Spathi Squadron

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 26, 2010, 09:10:15 pm »

So based on what you have done so far Cedric, how far out are we thinking until we have a beta stage game ready for full gameplay testing? (Just a rough guess to keep the frothing ones from get saliva all over the floor Smiley )

Also when are we going to looking for people to do the non story and gameplay stuff (Voices, Music, Popcorn Makers, etc.)

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
unity100
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2010, 01:17:28 pm »

yes i think story info should never be given out, and the people who are writing and coding the story should be hiding it even from the people coding other parts of the project, so that the fun wont be spoiled.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Project6014 demo release - v0.1.1
« Reply #183 on: November 19, 2010, 02:02:44 am »

The ever-growing Project 6014 team is pleased to release an improved version of the demo.

Changes include:
  • A Linux installer!!!
  • Heaps of bug fixes
  • Heaps of inconsistency fixes
  • A few animation fixes
  • Much improved playability of Lurg Prawn and Chmmr Explorer
  • One or two other neat surprises

You can get the new stuff here:
http://code.google.com/p/project6014/wiki/Downloads?ts=1290128106&updated=Downloads

Sing out if you have technical issues.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:05:06 am by Cedric6014 » Logged

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: November 19, 2010, 02:07:00 am »

Yay! I've been enjoying the new Melee stuff myself. I really like some of the changes made there.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 19, 2010, 05:48:38 am »

Perfect timing Cedric! I am doing a Retro game review for gameforums.com and I chose Star Control 2 as the game. I decided if i was going to do a retro review, it should be of one that still has an active community.

With a little luck, I should have that video out tomorrow night, without it, Saturday night (Already have the script written, just need to shoot the video Smiley )

Loading it right now. can't wait to play it Smiley

Updated:

Lurg seem much more hellbent on using the sub weapon over the main. In a Lurg on Lurg fight, he refused to ever close the gap until I used the planet to finally force it closed. Great job fixing their ships weapons though, much better now. Same goes for the Explorer, now she feels like a ship i can fight with.

The ISD is a nice touch, is that just for fighting or is their a chance of seeing Darth run around the galaxy? Smiley
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:37:16 am by JudgeYohance » Logged

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: November 19, 2010, 07:39:21 am »

I can't wait to see that video. Please share with us when you finish it Smiley

No. the ISD is just something I always thought would be fun to see in Star Control. It's a Melee only thing. I think it's my new favorite ship to play as..  Reminds me of the CHMMR  and Dreadnaught. Big brawler ships.  I'm really hoping others like it as much as I do.

The Lurg are frustrating for me to fight against. It forces you to play on its terms. Which usually means going through the bubbles and leaving yourself open to attack.  I guess that kinda fits with the Lurg mentality.  Some may enjoy playing them, but I prefer ships like the CHMMR, Arilou, or Spathi. It does feel really good when I blast them away though.  I can see them being as irritating to fight against as the Vux or that Yehat that resurrects 4 times.   Undecided   But, I have a friend who just loves playing against me with it because he knows he can frustrate the hell out of me.   I love the Explorer's secondary weapon now.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 19, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »

Anyone using the Linux build, please let me know how well it works and what distro + architecture (x86 32-bit or x64 64-bit) you're using.

I hope to have a more neat installer done by the next release (and maybe even for this release) plus maybe some packages for the most popular distributions (probably just Ubuntu and Ubuntu 64-bit)...

Thanks.
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2010, 08:25:43 am »

Actually, I am using Ubuntu Linux, but I didn't bother with the installer. I just put the music, content, and voice packages in the content/packages directory myself. It works very well now.

I nearly couldn't believe my eyes when I checked the ISD out for myself in Super Melee! It is a very good addition to the "behemoth" line of ships. Though, you might want to fix the rotations. They look a little sloppy.

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2010, 10:09:45 pm »

The review should be going up in a few hours but I have a fast request if someone can fill it before 7pm today.

I am mixing star control music into the review but I can't open the files of the game to grab the songs directly and the format on the net is .mod which is incompatible with the software and I can't convert it.

I just need the original Hyperspace music file in either wave or mp3 format. Can anyone send me a link to where i can find this or send me the file through email?

dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2010, 10:23:52 pm »

I have the Star Control intro music, the 'in orbit' music, the space music in mp3 formats. Just send an email to my username@gmail.com    I think I can get you the hyperspace music too. It would require some work on my part though.

- Damon
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2010, 10:31:06 pm »

The game's data files are really just renamed .zips, so you can change the extension to .zip and extract as usual -  but the plain PC version music is still in MOD format, you will either have to use the 3DO remixes (which are in Ogg Vorbis format) or figure out how to convert the .MODs.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:35:52 pm by oldlaptop » Logged

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2010, 10:49:41 pm »

Thanks for the help guys, i think i found a way to switch it to MP3. Video should be up in a couple of hours.

dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2010, 10:53:08 pm »

Cool.  You mind sharing how?

I have 2 minutes of it in mp3. I found a program but it will only convert 60 percent of the file without paying $20. (really. charging $20 to convert  a mod file??)

- Damon
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2010, 11:17:19 pm »

MikMod works fairly well, it's a MOD player that can save its output as WAV. Unfortunately they don't have any binaries for download, only source code...   Undecided
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:55:36 am by oldlaptop » Logged

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length