The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:24:50 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project6014 demo release
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 Print
Author Topic: Project6014 demo release  (Read 64690 times)
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: Project6014 demo release
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2011, 09:50:50 am »

A question for anyone who's played the demo.

Does anyone have examples where we may have contradicted canon? We're trying to make it so it doesn't.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Angelfish
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2011, 10:39:41 pm »

A question for anyone who's played the demo.

Does anyone have examples where we may have contradicted canon? We're trying to make it so it doesn't.

To do that you first need to tell us how do you define canon Smiley.
Because some of us only look at SC2, or also at SC3, or also at the things said by creators etc Cheesy
storyyeller
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2011, 03:12:42 am »

Doesn't SC3 pretty much contradict all of SC2 anyway?
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2011, 03:32:43 am »

Canon being the events of SC1 and 2 only, plus anything revealed by the creators that may not contradict said events

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2011, 03:51:46 am »

Doesn't SC3 pretty much contradict all of SC2 anyway?

Not that I can think of. But SC3 is definitely not general-purpose Star Control canon any more than Interbellum is, and no attempt has been made to be compatible with it, so that's fine.

(they are of course canon for purposes of themselves)
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2011, 09:41:16 am »

There isn't much of SC1 that can be contradicted...

I have only met one very minor contradiction: the intro states Zelnick has retired, but on the pic with Talana they both wear their uniforms (as far as Talana's outfit can be called that).

Have an idea, though - I don't think that at the end of SC2 Zelnick would have absolutely all his Melnorme credits spent, so it could be a nice touch and a feeling of continuity, if Melnorme would mention "You still have xx credits" with some insignificant amount.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2011, 12:28:02 pm »

There isn't much of SC1 that can be contradicted...

I have only met one very minor contradiction: the intro states Zelnick has retired, but on the pic with Talana they both wear their uniforms (as far as Talana's outfit can be called that).

Have an idea, though - I don't think that at the end of SC2 Zelnick would have absolutely all his Melnorme credits spent, so it could be a nice touch and a feeling of continuity, if Melnorme would mention "You still have xx credits" with some insignificant amount.

"How many credits do I have?"

"42."

Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2011, 06:30:17 pm »

Perhaps Zelnick just thinks it makes him look cool and thus never parted with it?

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:34 pm »

Perhaps Zelnick just thinks it makes him look cool and thus never parted with it?

Have you been in the army? Nobody thinks uniform is cool after half a year at most...
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

Captain in the Black Spathi Squadron

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 08, 2011, 07:14:32 am »

If you managed to get a hot girlfriend like Talana while wearing that uniform, would you really risk ever taking it off?

I like the 42 idea with the Melnorme as remaining credits left over, otherwise I have noted any contradictions so far.

Any news on the next update so far Cedric?

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2011, 08:16:33 am »

If you managed to get a hot girlfriend like Talana while wearing that uniform, would you really risk ever taking it off?

Good point.
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2011, 03:02:29 am »

So I found the Lurg on Youtube..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBof9enfm_8&feature=related

Excellent to see these dudes, especially the "you can feel it in the back of your mind can't you!". TMC also did a good voice for these aliens although I think they need to sound more brutal, like evil calculating thinkers. Some thoughts:

They seem to say "die" a lot, I think I had my fair share of "die" from the Druuge and Kohr-ah..
They easily get down to questions even though it should be of no concern to them, other SC2 species for example had it really tough to get hostile aliens to say stuff, with the exception of Ilwrath, Thraddash and the Spathi who had flaws such as pride and cowardice that the Captain could turn against them. The Ur-Quan required something that resonated with their trauma before they told you anything genuinely.

Things I did like-
Mycon quote, although as a little reworking to throw my $2 to see if it sounds better, it was in my head at the time:
"Human flesh, you are not as powerful as you would like to believe. If we wanted you dead, we could have let the Mycon destroy your world a thousand years ago as you embroiled within the darkness of what was barely a civilization. You were all so oblivious and vulnerable to those that could have easily controlled your fate but instead you used your planetary resources towards your own internal genocides. We know you more than you realise. You are nothing to us."

I also love the "you would have died within two generations" line. Lurg have lots of script goodness that just needs that little bit of kick and less like "hey we are Lurg so lets tell you everything about us, now DIE".

Lurg probably lied though when it came to the Ur-Quan "wisely avoided" being that the Ur-Quan don't avoid, they go straight for threats.

Not sure why they'd tell you the ship spec though, seems like something they'd say if they were allies and not enemies. It's like if the VUX told you that the Intruder could come up real close and zap you with a laser upon first meeting a new captain.

I don't mind helping out with dialogue too, either to make it sound better or just to help out here and there incase you folks need it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 01:12:30 pm by Elerium » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2011, 04:10:10 am »

I can think of a few circumstances...

Anyway, there's no doubt that the star control officer's uniform is a lot snazzier than a modern everyday military uniform. Comparable to the dress uniform, but it gets used for everything, so you don't need to treat it like a minor god.
Elerium
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:19 pm »

"You still have xx credits"
Heh, have the Melnorme fade to black as you calculate what credits are available should do it, I can imagine now:
"..and taking into consideration inflationary interest as well as the terms and conditions of underused account inactivity, coupled with also noting the cost of your last previous request for the "Garden of Energon Crafting Kit" the one choice for all post-apocalyptic reconstruction for your homeworld, we have finally calculated the grand total of all your remaining available credits, Captain."

"How many credits do I have in my account?"

"42."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:26:19 pm by Elerium » Logged
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: January 09, 2011, 02:04:44 pm »

"How many credits do I have in my account?"

"42."

Hey, that's my joke! Angry Wink