The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:32:01 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Activision's Star Control Flash Game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Activision's Star Control Flash Game  (Read 8903 times)
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Activision's Star Control Flash Game
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »

Hey guys, I am wondering where the flash game is.  I found a link here somewhere on a discussion that mentioned it, but the link doesn't work anymore (I can't find the thread).  Does anyone know of a link that's still good?  Apparently, Activision has no trace of Star Control on their site!  Why would they even GIVE AN OUNCE-OF-DRUUGE-ARTIFACTS about TFB making a Star Control sequel when:
1. The flash game they made to "protect" their copyright or something doesn't exist on the site any longer.
2. The site makes no mention of SC-anything
3. They have a googolplex of other games to worry about.
?

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: Activision's Star Control Flash Game
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:01:21 am »

You're thinking Atari, they own the name. They took their rush-job flash game down ages ago, I think.
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 12:03:58 am »

Oh, Atari?  I guess so.
http://www.activison.com/
what's it called when you go to an old link or website that seems like a search engine, and not an actual website anymore?

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:28:57 am »

Oh, Atari?  I guess so.
what's it called when you go to an old link or website that seems like a search engine, and not an actual website anymore?

That's called a parked domain. But... Activision.com doesn't look like a parked domain... Huh

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 02:04:11 am »

Odd... It has to be http://www.activision.com/index.html

Weird.

onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 02:05:41 am »

Odd... It has to be http://www.activision.com/index.html

Weird.

Just entering the base URL takes you to index.html. So... I don't get what you're saying. Undecided

ziper1221
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:20 am »

Oh, Atari?  I guess so.

you missed an I

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:22:44 am »

Oh....

well, still, does anyone know where I could see the flash game (even if its not any good)?  At least explain what it was like, what did it do?

onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:06:58 am »

Oh....

well, still, does anyone know where I could see the flash game (even if its not any good)?  At least explain what it was like, what did it do?

It was just a basic ship fighting game with ~3 ships to choose from and a funny announcer. Nothing special. Imagine SC2 melee with no 2-player, no planet, no asteroids, and a border around the edge of the arena where you only have 3 roughly equal ships to choose from.

BTW, it's Atari, not Activision.

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:51 am »

Okay... so, does what does Activision have to do with Star Control?
Ha!   I just realized that I haven't even posted this.  Well, I got my answer:

23:07 <@Meep-Eep> Is it still useful to sign the petition?
23:08 <+PR3> We keep pushing on Activision and Atart (former=employer, latter=trademark holder) to let us do a product.  So far we have interest but nothing concrete -- which is pretty much the same for the last few years!
23:08 <+tfb-chris> Like the robot said, thanks so much, everyone, for keeping the Star Control flame alive!
23:08 <+robot> Believe it or not, Activision has expressed an interest.  But not having all the rights is still a problem.

I think he mean's Atari  Smiley  Man, I wish I was there, I missed it because I only found out about it a few weeks later Cry
EDIT: well, that sucks.  I expected at least melee with multiplayer, planet, and more than 3 ships...

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 03:43:57 am »

Nevermind, that was 3 years ago!?

Anthony
*Smell* controller

Star Control Lives!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 05:20:11 am »

You're thinking Atari, they own the name. They took their rush-job flash game down ages ago, I think.

The company that made that flash game was a small dev studio called Iocaine Studios.  They were only given a few days to complete the project.
We were asked to develop a new game for them, but with a catch. This game had to be developed within 4 days…and we were asked to do it on a Thursday, which meant it would be due on Monday. The team panicked. There was no way we could make a new game from start to finish in only 4 days. We really needed the money though. Our debt was increasing and bills had to be paid. I sat the team down and discussed our options calmly while they all looked for sharp objects to throw at me.

The requirements for the game were pretty lenient. We decided to do it in Flash since a web game could be done in a short amount of time. There was a problem. We had never done anything in Flash before. Plus, I had to convince the team to work over the weekend, which was a life threatening task, but eventually I convinced them.

Friday morning was spent learning Flash and doing a rough design of the game. On Saturday, we built the engine, made some art assets, and started integrating the gameplay. By Sunday, we had something playable, but buggy. By Sunday night, the game was fun and pretty balanced. We submitted it to Atari on Monday and made enough to feed ourselves for another month. The game is called Star Control. We were going for a fighting game with ships. Something you can play with a friend sitting next to you for a few minutes at work. You can check it out at http://www.atari.com/us/starcontrol/ (keep in mind it was only done in 2 days)

It's hard for me to comment on this because I have no experience with professional game development and politics.  All I can say is that completing a 4-day project in 2 days with new development tools can be hectic for anyone.  They needed to put food on the table and accepted Atari's project.

They really have nothing to do with the Atari's trademark other than the fact that Atari asked them to do it quickly.  They seem to be very passionate about video games, going as far as taking a class, making a Half-Life mod and making another game called ThreadSpace: Hyperbol which is on Steam.  Their blog is down, so I referred to archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20080423043502/http://blogs.iocainestudios.com/

Their website is http://www.iocainestudios.com/
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:21:52 am by Anthony » Logged

Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 07:57:28 am »

Oh, yeah, I remember reading that, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 07:38:03 pm »

Atari is the successor (through takeovers, name changes) of Accolade, the publisher of the original Star Control and Star Control II games. They own the trademark "Star Control".
Toys for Bob is the company created by the actual developers of Star Control 2. These people (Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III) own the game itself, including characters and copyrights. They licensed the game under an Open Source license, making The Ur-Quan Masters possible. If you wonder why we didn't call it "Star Control II", see above. TFB would love to make a new Star Control game (by any name), but they would need a publisher to cover the costs.
Activision bought Toys for Bob, and the SC devs are now making games for them. They own all TFB's intellectual property... except for the Star Control II game, which the SC devs have kept for themselves, in the hope of one day being able to make a sequel.

As for Atari's little Flash game, see http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Star_Control_derivatives#Star_Control_flash_game.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 12:00:33 am »

Thanks for clearing it up. 

I was like "Yay, the flash game for me to look at (its coding...)" but then... it didn't actually HOST the game, it just went to this link, which, as I mentioned, is dead Sad http://www.atari.com/us/starcontrol/
  Oh well, I'll just look at some other random flash game for hints on how those games work.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length