The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:27:13 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Creating the ultimate ship would be easy....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Creating the ultimate ship would be easy....  (Read 6509 times)
Grand Master Planet Eater
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Creating the ultimate ship would be easy....
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:06:25 pm »

Um, they never wiped out the Utwig....

Also this would be the Utwig without the main weakness of their shield (it relies on enemy firepower to charge itself)
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:50 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 09:09:55 pm »

Unless the Utwig shield absorbs all of the hits

I wonder what the upper limit is. Could a Utwig with it's shield on fly through a star just to make a point?

What's up doc?
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »

Also this would be the Utwig without the main weakness of their shield (it relies on enemy firepower to charge itself)

Unfortunately it would leave the shield's other main weakness notably un-fixed. (You can't fire and shield at the same time.)

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Except that never happens in canon - the NAFS winning is the canon ending. Also they don't use the Sa-Matra, while they're out attacking other races you can go to Delta Crateris and it's still there
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 11:09:11 pm »

I take that as still more proof of the Sa-Matra's power. If the Kohr-Ah are capable of "cleansing" entire races like that without the help of the Sa-Matra, imagine what they could have accomplished if they had bothered to unleash it upon the Empire of Zelnick and its allies?

Let's not forget that the Kzer-Za used the Sa-Matra on the Alliance of Free Stars and utterly defeated and humiliated them.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:12:06 pm by Admiral Zeratul » Logged

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 03:20:04 am »

Let's not forget that the Kzer-Za used the Sa-Matra on the Alliance of Free Stars and utterly defeated and humiliated them.

And even then, only once, and only against a Chenjesu & Mmrnmhrm fleet. After that, they did mop-up duty on the rest of the Alliance without needing it.
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

Captain in the Black Spathi Squadron

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 06:30:28 am »

I never quite understood if the reason they used the Sa-Matra was because they felt they could not win otherwise or because they knew the Kor-Ah were coming and they needed to end the war fast in order to prepare.

Another interesting question.....In thousands of years, these races were never defeated, they have powerful ships but i can toast a fleet of Kor-Ah ships with a single Utwig vessel. So how weak have every other race they have encountered been? Also i find it hard to believe that no other race they have encountered agreed to become battle Thralls. Did they only create that option when they realized there fleet by itself would not be able to take on the Alliance?

I also want to add that my ship is going to get a Cloaking Device and an army of Trained Vux Beauties aboard to send to enemy ships Smiley

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 12:59:34 pm »

The Utwig only lost to the Kohr-Ah because they were outnumbered.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »

I never quite understood if the reason they used the Sa-Matra was because they felt they could not win otherwise or because they knew the Kor-Ah were coming and they needed to end the war fast in order to prepare.

I've always felt it was the latter. The Ur-Quan have been doing this for tens of thousands of years, so surely they've fought against alliances of aliens before. There was simply no time to let a massive war of attrition break the Alliance before the Kohr-Ah arrived, so they made a single strategic strike with the Sa-Matra. Otherwise, they wouldn't deign to use it on a lesser species.

Another interesting question.....In thousands of years, these races were never defeated, they have powerful ships but i can toast a fleet of Kor-Ah ships with a single Utwig vessel. So how weak have every other race they have encountered been? Also i find it hard to believe that no other race they have encountered agreed to become battle Thralls. Did they only create that option when they realized there fleet by itself would not be able to take on the Alliance?

Another oft-debated topic. My personal opinion is that, once they're done with a sector, the Kzer-Za slave shield all their battle thralls and move on. It means they don't have any autonomous aliens running around that might consider rebellion, and frees up their whole fleet for the attack on the next sector's worth of aliens.
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »

Another oft-debated topic. My personal opinion is that, once they're done with a sector, the Kzer-Za slave shield all their battle thralls and move on. It means they don't have any autonomous aliens running around that might consider rebellion, and frees up their whole fleet for the attack on the next sector's worth of aliens

That sounds plausible.

Oh I almost forgot the most important addon to my ultimate ship design. It has a pin scented tree above the captain's chair to keep the bridge smelling fresh!

Of course there are fates worse then death......after all.....you could always make me angry
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 07:35:03 pm »

I also want to add that my ship is going to get a Cloaking Device and an army of Trained Vux Beauties aboard to send to enemy ships Smiley

Sounds effective, if it works. Be careful, though, she's a killer!

Poor Admiral ZEX...

Oh I almost forgot the most important addon to my ultimate ship design. It has a pin scented tree above the captain's chair to keep the bridge smelling fresh!

Why a tree? Why not a Supox? Why can't it be shaped like a Slylandro gas bag or perhaps modeled after a Syreen?

Alvarin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 12:13:07 am »

Because pine tree is classic shape!
JudgeYohance
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 01:05:36 am »

Because pine tree is classic shape!

Exactly!

Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 01:15:14 am »

So is Pong, but there are more entertaining games out there.  Tongue

Come to think of it, this ship should have arcade rooms, too. Why not have something to do while you're not merrily cruising through space and kicking alien butt?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:37:36 am by Admiral Zeratul » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length