The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:28:32 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  UQM 0.7.0 release candidate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: UQM 0.7.0 release candidate  (Read 14864 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: UQM 0.7.0 release candidate
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »

By the way, totally agreed with TiLT on the 1.0 vs 0.7 bit. Programmer convention is one thing on programmer-oriented projects. Programmers know that version 0.1 can be totally usable. Everyone else is going to think 'incomplete'.

Yeah, it's a very good point. Everything works brilliantly, nothing crashes, and so forth.

What's up doc?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:39:24 pm »

- Do not match singular stars when given a prefix in star search
I'm guessing this means something like, searching for "alpha" cannot match, say, Arcturis? Bad example, though.
If I recall correctly, it was that "Alpha b" could be completed to "Alpha Betelgeuse".

- 999.9:999.9 is now reachable in HyperSpace
Is there some hidden benefit to this? Tongue
No. Apart from the cloaking device ofcourse. Wink

As for the versioning, I am considering it and have posed the question to the other core team members.

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
jucce
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 09:02:11 am »

I noticed you could reach 1000.0 : 999.9 and that makes the graphics obscure the text somewhat.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 11:27:39 am »

The game is done! It lacks no features that the average gamer will ever notice. The missing stuff is almost exclusively internal. I suggest you skip a 0.7 release and bump it up 1.0 immediately. Sure, this breaks certain version conventions, but at this point I feel it's necessary. You're needlessly restricting the audience with the current strategy. Most people will see the 0.6 or 0.7 version number and think "No way am I playing a game that is this unfinished/buggy". Please, don't dismiss this, but give it serious thought. UQM deserves better than the limited spotlight these version numbers award it. You're making it look like a pre-alpha product.

I disagree slightly. I don't think it should be 1.0 until the missing dialogue is added. The "average gamer" gets tripped up every time with the missing mycon dialogue. It's only those who played the PC versaion back in the day that can get by without it.

I won't suggest this game to anyone until they can actually beat it. And you can't beat it as it is.

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 03:52:54 pm »

Wait, you still haven't fixed that? I thought there was something for that, that wasn't a mod.

If I'm wrong, then I agree, it's not 1.0; and it should be a priority.
Wolframm
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 10:06:06 pm »

Wait, you still haven't fixed that? I thought there was something for that, that wasn't a mod.

If I'm wrong, then I agree, it's not 1.0; and it should be a priority.
As far as I know the UQM Extended Edition is the only mod that offered solution for this Mycon dialogue problem, but I think it doesn't include the text lines where the Melnorme explain that the MetaChron is darkening. (I might be wrong)
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 10:12:48 pm »

I think that a possible nice solution would be a dialog that pops up after the conversation, telling you that the original PC version of the game would tell you the MetaChron thing or the coördinates of Epsilon Scorpii, and explaining why it's not available in UQM.

As far as other things that 1.0 should need:
-A starmap; in full-color and printable A4 format (for the Vux Beast, among other things)

oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 10:35:29 pm »

As far as other things that 1.0 should need:
-A starmap; in full-color and printable A4 format (for the Vux Beast, among other things)

The PNF has ten maps, including a scan of the original SC2 map. They'd all need to be scaled down quite a bit to fit on Letter or A4 paper though.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Wolframm
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 11:01:50 am »

I think that a possible nice solution would be a dialog that pops up after the conversation, telling you that the original PC version of the game would tell you the MetaChron thing or the coördinates of Epsilon Scorpii, and explaining why it's not available in UQM.

The players shouldn't be bothered with stuff like that in the middle of gameplay. Solutions like this should be avoided as long as it's possible to restore missing text lines. I think the dialogue modification from UQM Extended should be imported into the standard version of UQM. While some players get stuck because of missing Mycon dialogue, the text lines for MetaChron are less important, but are still useful since they explain that the Melnorme are leaving the quadrant in early 2159 because of  big danger drawing near. This gives a clue that there is a limited time to beat the game and I think it would be a nice thing to include into UQM.
storyyeller
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:46 pm »

Why not give an option to the player when downloading the voice addon to also download modified voice clips? That way, people who play without voices don't even ever have to worry about it.
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 05:45:27 pm »

What about optionally showing the extra dialog, without voices? The game does this already, for Slylandro Probe co-ordinates.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 03:20:55 am »

What about optionally showing the extra dialog, without voices? The game does this already, for Slylandro Probe co-ordinates.

Honestly, the first time I saw that, I thought it seemed incredibly awkward and out-of-place. If it's done, it should only be a temporary solution.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 03:57:00 am »

Or just warn the user in-game when selecting to use voices that there are two non-spoilery but very important pieces of information they will not get from the voice version.

I don't see steering people away from the voices as a problem.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 12:29:44 pm »

Or just warn the user in-game when selecting to use voices that there are two non-spoilery but very important pieces of information they will not get from the voice version.

I don't see steering people away from the voices as a problem.

I'd have to agree with this one. Speech should be off by default, and if it's off, show the extra text. I actually played UQM for the first time without voices (not even knowing they existed), and it certainly didn't drive me away.

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 03:41:51 pm »

Oh, and the point about non-spoilery is that you could just toss in the old Syreen homeworld and the Mycon homeworld coordinates into the manual.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length