The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:03:12 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  GoG SC Rerelease
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GoG SC Rerelease  (Read 2134 times)
Salabasama
Zebranky food

View Profile
GoG SC Rerelease
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:36:30 am »

Not sure if Toys for Bob gets any money out of this, but I just noticed this today.  I'm assuming that it's a less up-to-date version than UQM, though.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/star_control_1_2
Anthony
*Smell* controller

Star Control Lives!

View Profile WWW
Re: GoG SC Rerelease
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 06:52:37 am »

Unfortunately, TFB isn't getting a cent out of this.  Cry  I e-mailed Paul and Fred and Paul about this replied that Atari's right to publish Star Control expired years ago and nobody contacted them about this.  They did contact GOG about this.  Not sure what their response was.  I bought the game before I asked them and I feel a bit guilty; it's nicely packaged and distribute through very fast and dedicated file servers.  TFB really deserves to get some profit; after all, they own the most important part of Star Control:  The content!

Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 07:40:39 pm »

From what I hear discussions are ongoing. Probably Atari jumped the gun a bit, let's hope it works out.

What's up doc?
evktalo
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »

Any news about this? As a happy GOG customer and a UQM fan, I'd really like hear this story end well.

--Eino
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:57:23 pm »

On the 14h of May, the word from TFB was that they were working out the details with GOG, but that they were almost sure that they'd come to an agreement.

What's up doc?
Valos Cor
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:49:18 am »

Outrageous!  I hate it that they don't get any credit for it.  At least they packaged it well so that word of the game could spread...though I wonder what the reactions of some would be when they found a version of Star Control II free that – in all likelihood – was much better than the one they purchased.  I guess Star Control I is not in public domain?

I'm the kind of person that uses Linux and seems to be a very literate adult but has no idea how to do anything code-wise beyond basic stuff.(such as su -<password> yum install uqm) Except I didn't install UQM that way...I used Add/Remove Software...
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:47:20 pm »

I guess Star Control I is not in public domain?
If it were, the GoG release wouldn't be a problem. As the name suggests, a work that is in the public domain belongs to everyone; it has no copyright protection. For this to happen to SC1, the copyright holders would either have to authorise it or a few more decades at least would have to pass (barring changes to copyright law, of course). I don't see Atari agreeing to release anything to the public domain!

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length