The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:25:07 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The Shofixti threat
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: The Shofixti threat  (Read 27920 times)
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
Re: The Shofixti threat
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2003, 03:22:59 am »

The shofixtis will be like the tribbles in no time at all!  Next thing you know, they'll infest the halls of the New Alliance's ships and we won't be able to control their furry madness!

Reminds me of the DS9 episode where Sisko goes back in time to find the tribble with the bomb inside of it.  Hehe.

O'Brien: "THAT's a Klingon?!"
Bashir:  "Worf...?  *stares*  What happened?  Mass genetic mutation...?  Evolution?"
Worf: "My people...  prefer not to talk about it."

Hehe, that episode always cracks me up!

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2003, 03:23:39 pm »

I thought in the game (or the outtakes, memory failure) it was told, that the Shofixti went to the Yehat and lived there as well, until they find a new place to live. That makes a pretty full planet: Yehat, Pkunk (rearrived), Shofixti (visiting friends).
Maybe in SC3v2 we could suggest the Spathi to go there as well, because the Yehat have friends all the time anyway, and the Pkunk do not mind sitting cramped, and the Shifixti would be an aid in protecting the Spathi as well as the Tarminator and the Fury.

I'd just love to see a Spathi sitting in a digged hole, because the flying predators (Yehat) make the use of a tree with a basket full of nice colored and well shaped, not too small nor too big stones quite useless. And the groundwalking predators (Shofixti) make the ground as dangerous.

CYa,
Martin
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2003, 06:56:00 pm »

Although I have to admit, that for ap erson whose never watched Star Trek, the fun part of it kinda passes me by.. Smiley

How are the Starfaring clans of the Yehat arranged anyway? I mean, there is only one home planet, but one would assume that the central planets of each clan are quite large as well... How many clans are there anyway?

What's up doc?
Kizor Stillnotloggedin

Email
A couple of points
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2003, 07:37:46 pm »

I'm surprised there were any planets left around the sun in Delta Gorno.. Theoretically they'd be pushed away and break out of orbit, if they survive the blast as a whole.

Okay, let's say that the planets around Delta Gorno break out of orbit by the force of the blast. Can someone estimate how much time would it take for them to clear the system?
Less or more than 20 years?

Shofixti are not human, and do not necessarily bury their dead at all, this is true. But something ahs to be done with their bodies, and seeing as these traditions blah blah blah

Cannibalism, perhaps? That'd lessen the strain the Shofixti would cause to an ecosystem.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2003, 08:55:39 pm »

blah blah blah? I can't seem to recall ever saying that Smiley

Cannibalism is a very good idea, it would lessen the srain on the ecosystem a lot. Although I have to wonder, is the glory device at all compatible with that way of life? I mean, assuming they have some sort of ritual cannibalism to pass on the spirits of their elders or some such, blowing oneself into smithereens in the cold void of space seems to be rather in conflict with the rest of their culture...

What's up doc?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: A couple of points
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2003, 10:46:11 pm »

Okay, let's say that the planets around Delta Gorno break out of orbit by the force of the blast. Can someone estimate how much time would it take for them to clear the system?
Less or more than 20 years?

it all depends... did the sun become a hot nebula? Looks like it didn't. That would have meant the planets would have a continuous drag and lose orbital momentum and fall into the sun.
A simple shove won't make a planet escape or fall into the sun - it WOULD make the orbits more eccentric and generally change the shape of the solar system, but those planets are still captured by the gravity of the star.

Now, supernovae can kick a planet hard enough to eject (we calculate, never having seen it), but this seems to not have been a supernova. After all, it was artificial...
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2003, 03:59:33 am »

Does the game ever mention how Tanaka/Katana survives the explosion?  I don't really remember.

When looking at the starmap packaged with the original Star Control II PC game, I look at Yehat space and see how big it was before the VUX and Mycon became a threat when the Kzer-Za show up.  It shows you just how strong the Meep-eep royal family, or whatever it is, really was.  Not to mention the Terminator's a sweet ship, so it made expansion fairly easy, I guess.  Of all the original Alliance races, the Yehat's sphere of influence was the largest.

One other thing.  I've always wondered about the discrepencies of Yehat space in Star Control I and II.  In SC, the manual says that the Yehat come from a nebula where space is different, and that's the origins of their strange shield technology.  It's weird that Paul and Fred seemingly scrapped this idea for the second game... there's no mention of their species coming from this strange nebula in space, or any place of the sort.  Wondering if anyone else picked that up...

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2003, 05:14:18 am »

Yeah, Tanaka was on deep patrol when they eploded the sun.

He'd fought a VUX and gotten limpeted, so he came home too slowly to get blown up (lucky him)

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2003, 08:27:41 pm »

Nebulas would have been sweet... But it would cease to be SC.
Lord392
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2003, 04:14:04 pm »

I think a plausible method of disposing of that many dead would be a burial-at-sea kind of idea.  It never says if they lived near oceans or rivers, but mud huts does imply access to water.  And by placing their dead in the ocean/river, it gets them out of the way of the living Shofixti, in addition its eaten quickly and continues the cycle.

Now, if you picture the idea of burial in space...  It wouldn't be a big problem.  There's really no chance of hitting anything in space, especially if they are vaporized themselves with a glory device, or eject pods into the atmosphere of a planet where they're disintegrated upon re-entry (ala the Mirak in Star Trek).  Seem plausible to anybody else?
Scott
*Many bubbles*

does whatever a spider can

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2003, 07:46:46 pm »

Maybe Delta Gorno just needs a visit from Trojan Man.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2003, 09:36:53 pm »

Seems plausible to me. I'm just saying, that if their growth rate is really as amazing as the Melnorme make out, they wont be able to continue those tradtions, unless there are some serious fish around there who eat nothing but Shofixti. The point I was trying to make was that no matter, how they took care of their dead in earlier times, they're gonna have to find a new way to do it now that they are masters of their natural habitats. Their growth rate just forces them to colonize, and thus they are a threat...

What's up doc?
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

Eddie wants Ur-Quan Trophies!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2003, 08:44:30 am »

No real threat though - they all wear red uniform-shirts and volunteer to all dangerous landing parties & fighting encounters  Cheesy

Greetings from the German Nightmare - Up the Irons!
mincemeat
Zebranky food

What are those glowy bits inside of you?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2003, 10:12:30 am »

No real threat though - they all wear red uniform-shirts and volunteer to all dangerous landing parties & fighting encounters  Cheesy

Hmm I guess they ARE somewhat too short to wear white armor and aim blasters badly... :p
GermanNightmare
*Smell* controller

Eddie wants Ur-Quan Trophies!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2003, 09:14:57 pm »

Very good point! There ARE people a little too short for a stormtrooper...

Greetings from the German Nightmare - Up the Irons!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length