The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:54 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project 6014 Demo v 0.2 release
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Project 6014 Demo v 0.2 release  (Read 21180 times)
sigundo
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Project 6014 Demo v 0.2 release
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2012, 04:11:53 am »

I just wanted to say a big thanks for all the work you all are doing.  Been flying around the Galaxy looking at things and so far I like it... the planetary systems are beautiful, like the hi resolution a lot (though I've been playing my old copy of SC2 and its such a great game you don't NEED nice graphics, but they really add to an already great game). I particularly liked some of the new features planetside..  the exploding bio lifeforms caught me completely off guard and I about came out of my seat as I had the surround on and the volume up when it happened.  KABOOM.  The lifeforms that started shooting back were great too, didn't scare me so much as just caught me off guard. haha.  I can't wait (but obviously I'll HAVE to) for it do get done, but I'll be patient.

I did have a couple issues:  1) Of course I had to have the "Lurg" one, where it crashes whenever I try to return to my ship after landing on the planet (trying not to be too specific in case others haven't played yet).  2) The Spathi conversation gives no visible response the second choice I make to them after the cypher request (and sometimes crashes there, or it crashes when I finish talking to them and hit "navigate").  3)  I have random crashes when returning from the planet surface at different systems (but not the same ones every time).

I've tried different video/audio settings and although I've really cut down the random crashes when returning from mineral gathering to minimum, the Lurg and Spathi problems happen every time, no matter what setting I use. I'm playing the game under Windows XP.

Still, it was a LOT of fun and you've done a great job of keeping what made Star Control 2 one of the greatest games I've played. Keep it up and thanks again!!!
hackdx
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2012, 04:23:17 pm »

Just to follow up on my first post here: The recent series of updates have improved the game a great deal! The 2x version looks much better now, and the interface elements feel a lot more harmonic now. The starmap looks better and is usable now, thanks to the snapping cursor, and the starbase buttons are nicer, too. Great job!
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2012, 06:35:02 pm »

HackDX: Everything is a work in progress my friend. We're making continuous improvements...  Now that we've got the bulk of the art done, we're concentrating on the details. Even now, the improvements planned are going to be an even bigger improvement. The game isn't planned to come out until the end of this year.  A lot of the issues you had were just "temporary" graphical placeholders that had been planned to be changed a long time ago.

We are working on overhauling the user interface so it loses that "Windows 95" era  look.  It won't be in the demo, but you should see something in the full game.  You can look at my failed attempt at changing the UI here:
http://dczanik.deviantart.com/journal/UI-Look-at-my-Big-Box-of-Fail-278911780
The guys on the team just didn't like it. So this is NOT going to be in the game. There was no time to update the UI for the demo, but the full game will have a new UI. Just NOT this one.

And HackDX is talking about Demo 0.2.1.  It's coming out soon (so...keep watching here).  There's a ton of bug fixes in it. Some new voices, and some graphical tweaks:

And this is an "old" screenshot (about a week old). A lot of stuff has been changed since then.  We'll let you guys know when the new demo is ready.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2012, 08:42:36 pm »

HackDX: Everything is a work in progress my friend. We're making continuous improvements...  Now that we've got the bulk of the art done, we're concentrating on the details. Even now, the improvements planned are going to be an even bigger improvement. The game isn't planned to come out until the end of this year.  A lot of the issues you had were just "temporary" graphical placeholders that had been planned to be changed a long time ago.

There is a chance for it to come at the end of this year?

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

That's great news! I'm positively surprised.

Keep up the good work!!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:45:40 pm by player1 » Logged
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2012, 12:44:37 am »

sigundo: Great to hear about your experience with the exploding critter Smiley That was my little touch of magic there.

Everyone:
Go see the infamous http://code.google.com/p/project6014/wiki/Downloads ...
Demo 0.2.1. is in da house! If you're running OS X, it's your lucky day!
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:29 am »

Windows users: Demo should be up in the next 24 hours Smiley

I made a little trailer for you guys that shows off some of the stuff in Version 0.2.1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQBQYi88AAI
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:03:55 am by dczanik » Logged

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2012, 02:25:58 am »

Also, we made a printable map similar to the Star Control 2 map.

It's a high resolution file, so it's big:
http://project6014.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tools/map/starmap-2.png

Without text:
http://project6014.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/tools/map/starmap.png

- Damon
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 02:40:06 am »

There are some unmarked stars there - the star east of the Eurus constellation, the cluster south of Naos, some stars around Lupi, and the stars in the extreme northwest.
KaeseEs
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2012, 03:52:39 am »

Windows users: Demo should be up in the next 24 hours Smiley

I made a little trailer for you guys that shows off some of the stuff in Version 0.2.1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQBQYi88AAI

Neato!
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:29 am »

There are some unmarked stars there - the star east of the Eurus constellation, the cluster south of Naos, some stars around Lupi, and the stars in the extreme northwest.

To quote the Vux:
"..."   

Wow. I don't even know how you got all that.   Undecided My map may be out of date... I'll check with Megagun, and fix it.

- Damon
Admiral Zeratul
*Many bubbles*

I enjoy overthinking things.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2012, 08:17:38 am »

To quote the Vux:
"..."   

I was not aware of the Vux ever uttering such a phrase. Would you care to cite the source of your frivolous quote?

Priority override. New behavior dictated. Must break post into component ideas.
Megagun
Enlightened

Moo

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2012, 09:43:19 am »

To quote the Vux:
"..."  

Wow. I don't even know how you got all that.   Undecided My map may be out of date... I'll check with Megagun, and fix it.
Your map (starmap-2) is out of date. Mine (starmap.png) isn't. These stars were wrong in the game as well, see issues 62 and 63 which have since been fixed. Smiley

An actual A4-printable starmap may appear later today. I've made some test prints yesterday which should hopefully result in an awesome-looking well-readable a4-printable starmap.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2012, 01:47:18 pm »

To quote the Vux:
"..." 
I was not aware of the Vux ever uttering such a phrase. Would you care to cite the source of your frivolous quote?
It's in P6014. It makes sense in context.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2012, 05:39:16 pm »

Alright. Updated the starmap.  I blame Megagun completely for this. Not because of the map, but because he eats babies. Tongue

In a Spiffy new color:
Red Star Map
or
Blue Star Map

(Personally, blue is my preferred color.)

- Damon
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2012, 05:42:50 pm »

Also, before I encounter any moderator wrath. I have not, in fact witnessed Megagun eating any babies.....
Megagun? Who was the main person who wrote this? I just want to give credit where credit is due.

- Damon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length