The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:25:30 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Project6014's new ships
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Project6014's new ships  (Read 16896 times)
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Project6014's new ships
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:44 am »

Bumpity-bump.
OK, folks, v0.2.1. is available, with massively rehauled Foon-foon and Baul ships!

I'm not gonna describe in here the differences to 0.2.0 since a) I want you to experience them yourselves b) I'm a meanie.

Let me know how you like 'em now and I can yet again tweak them more for the 1.0.0...
player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 08:23:05 am »

First impressions:

Baul ships became pretty potent with new changes. I like it that both weapons fire from same direction, instead needing 180 round turn (which was annoying due to low turn rate of the ship). Longer range of primary fire is good too, since Baul mines can damage their ships now.

As for Fon-Fon, it's still fun as ever, although I'm not sure about usability of charged primary weapon. When uncharged, it's much better then before due to slightly longer range and rapid fire. But since its range it still not much, it's pretty difficult to use it when charged, because you need to manage both range and direction of enemy, while doing only single shot (which I don't think it even makes much more damage), and making sure to not explode from overcharge. Easier to just wave with secondary, or do rapid fire with primary.

Anyway, I like it that new ships because good counters for some of original ships (for example Bhaal decimates Illwrath).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:34:44 am by player1 » Logged
superbutcherx
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:34 am »

Thanks for the input!

Giving a longer range for the Foon-foon primary, when charged up, is an idea worth trying. It was also voiced by one of my friends I was playtesting with. Unfortunately that suggestion came only a day before the release of 0.2.. At that point I didn't dare put anything new and untested stuff in the code, lest I break something.
A long-ranged powerful shot would present the player yet another tactic for using the Foon-foon. But there's also the risk of turning the ship into another Thraddash, so the range shouldn't be too excessive.

Baul can also deal some nice punishment to Chmmr and Kohr-ah in its current incarnation, which I think is refreshing! Whereas I've found Mycon quite difficult to tackle with Baul - and this is good, since Mycon was a sort of loser ship in SC2.

Good to hear that you like 'em overall!
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:59 pm »

Making the FF primary have a bigger blast with each level of charge was one of the viable ideas, but by the time it came up I was done with the blast you see now and making more frames for it would have taken me to remake the whole burst which I wasn't really itching to do. I was thinking of a halfassed in-between idea, but I'm quite sure it wouldn't have worked out.

Now I have another idea, but I'm quite afraid to propose it because it doesn't need the burst graphic or even having charge phases. And I have another another idea but I don't know how to fit it to the Typhoon's concept.

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
Ostro Bothnia
Zebranky food

Bugs are writing songs about me

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:03 pm »

Btw, tractor effect has been basically unused in weapons. Some kind of a vortex mine would certainly be unique.

Worth dying for. Worth killing for. Worth going to hell for. Amen.
mohammad2011
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2013, 01:08:24 pm »

Can you add a Venator-class Attack Cruiser too?
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 07:38:18 am »

Ok well we know we can't legally use the star wars stuff and distribute this project so why don't we change it on the off chance people actually take notice of it?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2013, 03:33:14 pm »

Star Wars has, at least, up to Disney's acquisition, been very tolerant of fan works so long as they're not released for profit.

We'll see if that continues. If a C&D letter is sent, removal will be trivial.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2013, 04:22:18 pm »

Well first stars wars took place "in a galaxy far far away", and second do we really want star wars instead of a unique contribution or unique race that actual fans thought of? There's at least 5 other races from the wiki that still need to be added to p6014.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2013, 05:10:24 pm »

Until I get a C&D, the ISD is staying. I like it. It's fun.  The plan is to have an option to remove it out of melee.  It will NEVER be in single player.

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2013, 05:39:36 pm »

ok well that's good to know it won't be in single player.
spinacci
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »

Until I get a C&D, the ISD is staying. I like it. It's fun.  The plan is to have an option to remove it out of melee.  It will NEVER be in single player.

I agree!

Any updates on P6014?  The original website is kinda quiet.

thanks!
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 07:22:49 pm »

Any updates on P6014?  The original website is kinda quiet.

thanks!

Yep it's starting back up again, and we're looking for authors/artists/programmers to join the writing team!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:09:45 pm by FakeMccoy » Logged
3Bit
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2015, 10:41:47 pm »

what's happening with this? It would be great to have a revival. I used to love playing the FoonFoon and the Vux. Any updates on Project6014?
grayfox7777
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2016, 03:20:49 am »

I think it's probably dead.  Undecided
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length