The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:12:28 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Starbase Café (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star Control inspired game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Star Control inspired game  (Read 7231 times)
clankythegorn
Zebranky food

View Profile
Star Control inspired game
« on: December 08, 2011, 01:31:55 am »

Hi, there.
I am informing all of you star control fans of my newest project! Me and some friends are building a game similar to the star control 2 engine. I wrote a story and we are making it into the game. Please take a look if you want another star control type game.
Site:
http://unchartedworlds.webs.com/
Hyperspace theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM2VmliHIAI
DEMO ON SITE NOW!
People want too see that we are actually working on this project so here is an extremely simple ship movement and planet gravity demo. We just started making the engine a couple days ago so of course not much has been done, YET.

Moderator edit:  remove shouting subject
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:24:16 am by clankythegorn » Logged
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Re: STAR CONTROL INSPIRED GAME!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:23:46 am »

Never announce a project before you have something to show (i.e. a demo) unless you're asking for help. It won't help your project.

Not trying to shoo you away, just some friendly advice.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 03:25:29 am by onpon4 » Logged

clankythegorn
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:56:15 am »

I understand. I have the ship movement and planet gravity. (working on combat first). will try to upload video on youtube soon.
Cedric6014
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:55:48 pm »

Never announce a project before you have something to show (i.e. a demo) unless you're asking for help. It won't help your project.

Well actually, he does have something to show. a whole website devoted to the project and a hyperspace theme.

Its more than I had when I asked people to help me on my absurd endeavour! Smiley

Play online melee here! http://irc.uqm.stack.nl/
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Re: Star Control inspired game
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:37 pm »

Well actually, he does have something to show. a whole website devoted to the project and a hyperspace theme.

Its more than I had when I asked people to help me on my absurd endeavour! Smiley

Project 6014 is an extremely lucky exception. You're in a very small community that really wants what you're doing, and it's a mod to an already existing engine, so much of the work is already done. Also, didn't you have screenshots? It might have just been another project, I'm not sure, but I remember reading someone's presentation of something they were working on, it was supposed to be a sequel to SC2 and had screenshots where the main ship was a Spathi ship for some reason.

Screenshots are a lot better than music, because they show you've actually created some of the game. Just a couple of music tracks could mean anything; for all I know, they could just be music that they downloaded from opengameart.org. To demonstrate: I started a new project a couple days ago called "ITAD S.G.", and I want to use these ship sprites:

If I was to make a topic announcing this, not too many people would look at that and think "Ooh, that's interesting!" You'll probably think something more like "Meh, another new project." Unless, of course, you wrongly think I had any involvement making the sprites in question, in which case you might be slightly interested, but then I would just be pressured to actually have real content very soon or risk losing these people.

The only interest you can possibly pull from this "Uncharted Worlds" project is "Ooh, a Star Control clone! Might want to keep an eye on this!" Not necessarily a problem here, since again, it's a small community and special interest, but it would definitely be a bad idea to post anywhere else (e.g. GameDev.net) at this early stage.

As an aside, having a website devoted to a project doesn't mean much. Actually, in such an early stage, I have more of a tendency to infer "this guy is too ambitious". But maybe a lot of people are actually fooled into thinking that having a website makes a project that hasn't materialized more likely to materialize somehow, I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:44:32 pm by onpon4 » Logged

dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:25:14 am »

You'll have to forgive us if many of us feel a little jaded.  We see so many "I'm making a game" announcements, (most with more than what you're showing) that just die.

I'm liking the music.
Check out opengameart.org if you need any graphics. At the very least it might save you some time in the prototyping phase.   

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
clankythegorn
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 01:07:20 am »

Well, we have some of the combat engine right now. I could upload a video. It strays a little bit away from SC but still feels or looks similar to star control 2. Also, we could use a main (human) ship sprite.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 02:01:30 pm »

Project 6014 is an extremely lucky exception. You're in a very small community that really wants what you're doing, and it's a mod to an already existing engine, so much of the work is already done. Also, didn't you have screenshots? It might have just been another project, I'm not sure, but I remember reading someone's presentation of something they were working on, it was supposed to be a sequel to SC2 and had screenshots where the main ship was a Spathi ship for some reason.

That was another mod made by Nikolai, that vanished before we ever got a playable demo. But they were pretty cool screenshots.

What's up doc?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length