The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:41:40 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Kickstarter?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print
Author Topic: Kickstarter?  (Read 21755 times)
player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
Re: Kickstarter?
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2012, 04:40:08 am »

As far as I can see from the screenshots, it's not even original game, but version uploaded on various sites that host abandoned DOS games (legal grey area). Someone just did OSD scan of original paper manual and converted it to TXT file. There is even PDF scan of manual too.
dathinvaderzim
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2012, 04:44:17 am »

As far as I can see from the screenshots, it's not even original game, but version uploaded on various sites that host abandoned DOS games (legal grey area). Someone just did OSD scan of original paper manual and converted it to TXT file. There is even PDF scan of manual too.

So what would you say the chances are that someone randomly put that in there rather than as part of the game files?
player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2012, 04:47:49 am »

There is nothing random there. It's practice for abandoned game packs to include scan of original manual, or OSD version of paper manual.

But, it really has nothing to do with Ur-Quan project. It doesn't even use source code of PC version, but of 3DO console version.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

Then I guess I can't copy coding from it....and since all the later versions use the same game engines, I can't copy coding from those either.

You are an idiot. I'm not going to explain to you why that's utter bullshit. Learn something about how licensing works, you moron.

Besides, I repeatedly asked for someone to post a link to this "source release", which no one has done.

Stop pulling shit out of your ass. You asked ONCE and oldlaptop gave you it.

If the thing I have is the original star control which it technically isn't, it's a later version, then according to the text files I see there, I should not be able to use the game engines for free. the "Ur-Quan Masters" uses the same game engines from this game, so you shouldn't be able to re-use them or alter them.

You're a dumbass.

If however, project 6014 does not re-use these engines, then there shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Earth to idiot! Project 6014 is a modification of The Ur-Quan Masters. COMMON KNOWLEDGE alert!

player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2012, 04:51:30 am »

The Ur-Quan Masters Project FAQ
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/The_Ur-Quan_Masters_Project_FAQ
dathinvaderzim
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2012, 05:02:11 am »

Then I guess I can't copy coding from it....and since all the later versions use the same game engines, I can't copy coding from those either.

You are an idiot. I'm not going to explain to you why that's utter bullshit. Learn something about how licensing works, you moron.

Besides, I repeatedly asked for someone to post a link to this "source release", which no one has done.

Stop pulling shit out of your ass. You asked ONCE and oldlaptop gave you it.

If the thing I have is the original star control which it technically isn't, it's a later version, then according to the text files I see there, I should not be able to use the game engines for free. the "Ur-Quan Masters" uses the same game engines from this game, so you shouldn't be able to re-use them or alter them.

You're a dumbass.

If however, project 6014 does not re-use these engines, then there shouldn't be as much of a problem.

Earth to idiot! Project 6014 is a modification of The Ur-Quan Masters. COMMON KNOWLEDGE alert!

Ur-quan masters and star control 2 I can get for PC, the ur-quan masters uses many of the same things  as star control, star control is copyrighted with all rights reserved on it's coding and images and sounds and names...there seems to be a problem.

It depends mostly on if the coding was made from scratch or it. If this 3D0 version can be considered made form scratch without in any way being made from any star control engines at all, then there might not be a problem with the coding.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:09:00 am by dathinvaderzim » Logged
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:44 am »

When I gave you the link to the official UQM source archive I also explained UQM's legal history in short. I guess you didn't read that, so I'll put it here again:

Official UQM source archive of 0.7.0 is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/files/UQM/0.7/uqm-0.7.0-source.tgz/download

AFAIK, only the trademark (i.e. the name 'Star Control') is owned by anyone other than Toys For Bob, the original authors of the game. Any copyrights that were not TFB's originally reverted to TFB upon Accolade defaulting on royalty payments, and TFB released a modified version of the original 3DO source code under the GNU General Public License, and all content (art, music, sound effects, and the rest) under CC-BY-SA 2.0 in 2002. But you knew all that already, or at least have been told that already.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 29, 2012, 05:09:32 am »

Moderator edit: Removed verbal abuse. Let's keep it civilised.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:09:47 am by meep-eep » Logged

dathinvaderzim
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 29, 2012, 05:17:42 am »

When I gave you the link to the official UQM source archive I also explained UQM's legal history in short. I guess you didn't read that, so I'll put it here again:

Official UQM source archive of 0.7.0 is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sc2/files/UQM/0.7/uqm-0.7.0-source.tgz/download

AFAIK, only the trademark (i.e. the name 'Star Control') is owned by anyone other than Toys For Bob, the original authors of the game. Any copyrights that were not TFB's originally reverted to TFB upon Accolade defaulting on royalty payments, and TFB released a modified version of the original 3DO source code under the GNU General Public License, and all content (art, music, sound effects, and the rest) under CC-BY-SA 2.0 in 2002. But you knew all that already, or at least have been told that already.

Do you have something that's...not from wikipedia about these legal issues?
Otherwise, it would seem like the "Ur-Quan Masters" is the modified version created by P. and F., but perhaps the version I have was created before TFB issued the modified coding under a CC license, but in any case, I'm still going to ask around to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:19:21 am by dathinvaderzim » Logged
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 29, 2012, 05:32:58 am »

Yes, I just posted it (again). See also the official UQM copyright information and the UQM Project FAQ (which have both been posted in this thread). As an aside, it seems odd that you don't know what UQM is, seeing as how you're posting in it's official forum. Then again, you've already demonstrated a remarkable talent for remaining ignorant of facts even when they're shoved in your face.

Netmelee Improvement Mod
dathinvaderzim
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2012, 05:36:51 am »

Ur-quan masters and star control 2 I can get for PC, the ur-quan masters uses many of the same things  as star control, star control is copyrighted with all rights reserved on it's coding and images and sounds and names...there seems to be a problem.

Dipshit.

Why would you get so riled up over a "12-year-old" and call a "12-year-old" a dipshit? I hope you never have kids...

Yes, I just posted it (again). See also the official UQM copyright information and the UQM Project FAQ (which have both been posted in this thread). As an aside, it seems odd that you don't know what UQM is, seeing as how you're posting in it's official forum. Then again, you've already demonstrated a remarkable talent for remaining ignorant of facts even when they're shoved in your face.

You posted a link to a download of the Ur-Quan Masters...
I already own the Ur-Quan masters...
I can't read the files...
How does this help?

I looked a little more on ultracomunicon on wikipedia anyway (or w/e its called) and it said this applies 1992-2002, however the thing I have is 1997, after 2002, so what is this "1992" thing?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:42:18 am by dathinvaderzim » Logged
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2012, 05:44:27 am »

Umm, assuming you're talking about that thing you took a screenshot of, that's the original DOS Star Control 2, *not* UQM.

Netmelee Improvement Mod
dathinvaderzim
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 29, 2012, 05:44:59 am »

Umm, assuming you're talking about that thing you took a screenshot of, that's the original DOS Star Control 2, *not* UQM.

But the title  or logo says "Ur-Quan Masters", not "Star Control II"...
player1
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 29, 2012, 05:51:43 am »

Dipshit.

Why would you get so riled up over a "12-year-old" and call a "12-year-old" a dipshit? I hope you never have kids...

You posted a link to a download of the Ur-Quan Masters...
I already own the Ur-Quan masters...
I can't read the files...
How does this help?

I looked a little more on ultracomunicon on wikipedia anyway (or w/e its called) and it said this applies 1992-2002, however the thing I have is 1997, after 2002, so what is this "1992" thing?

That what you have is a repack of original game from some adabonware site. Whoever packed those files probably changed the date too.

As for original game, it was called Start Control II: Ur-Quan Masters.

This project is called just Ur-Quan Masters.

Original game intro (played from DOSBox):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Ghbc9zZSs

Ur-Quan masters project intro, and a bit of gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4GB3FeqQVk
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:58:00 am by player1 » Logged
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2012, 06:55:27 am »

This is absolutely hilarious watching dathinvaderzim spout utter nonsense after utter nonsense, but I kinda think it might be a good idea to force it to end. Hilarious as it may have been, it's degenerating more and more into insults. (Most of them highly deserved insults, but still.)

You can't do this without also releasing your derivative work under the GNU GPL, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft.
Strictly speaking, you can... provided you get explicit permission from the actual owners of the source. Which, in this case, is not only Toys for Bob but also every single person who has ever committed to the svn repository.

Just because it's interesting that the speed of light is the same from all frames of reference due to the effects of the Lorenz transformation on events is interesting doesn't mean everyone is talking about it, because people need to have higher education in physics in order to know about that.
Ahahahaha... that's one of the most stupid things you could possibly say. A five-year-old could easily know about the effects of the Lorentz transformation. I'm not sure how well they could understand them (though I'm inclined to suspect "surprisingly well"), but understanding is not a prerequisite for knowledge.

I can't expect you to comprehend something like this, but... Toys for Bob owns the source. They replaced the copyright notice in that file with something else when they released the source. Therefore, that copyright notice is no longer relevant to anything.

It's easy to prove you wrong about it being a "later version". Just post a screenshot of the planet lander navigating a planet.

It depends mostly on if the coding was made from scratch or it. If this 3D0 version can be considered made form scratch without in any way being made from any star control engines at all, then there might not be a problem with the coding.
...you're an idiot. The 3DO version was of course based on the DOS version, and UQM is based on the 3DO version. And none of that has any bearing on what's legal or allowed or anything.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length