The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:02:17 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  'Missing Bits' of text
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 'Missing Bits' of text  (Read 2196 times)
Soul Reaver
Frungy champion

View Profile WWW
'Missing Bits' of text
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:03:23 am »

It's been a long time since I was last at this site, so I didn't see that version 0.7.0 had been released until now.  I noticed in the release notes that one of my biggest quibbles - some missing dialogue that was in the PC version but missing from the 3DO version - had apparently been fixed?

The changlog for version 0.7.0 says:
- Added the missing bits to the no-voice versions of Mycon, Syreen and Utwig dialogue

I had a few questions about this:

1) Do these 'missing bits' only show up when Voices are disabled?

2) If yes, is there some way of modding it so it will show up (silently) even when voices are enabled?  Because that text is important, but I like the voices too.  I'd rather have an anachronistic moment of voiceless dialogue rather than missing out on either voices or vital information.

3) Lastly, has the missing text from the Melnorme trader (the one that warns you about the game's time limit - see http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Star_Control_II_Gameplay_FAQ#Is_there_a_time_limit_to_the_game.3F ) been added back in too?

Go to www.warpstormstudios.com/uqmmod for my dialogue and visual fixes for UQM and UQMHD!
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: 'Missing Bits' of text
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:47 pm »

I'm not sure of the answer to #1, but if it's "no" I'm fairly sure #2 is "yes", since it would just be resource substitution.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »

As far as I can tell, just having voices available is enough to prevent the missing bits from showing up.

Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:02:34 am »

Bump for clarity on this issue. I too would like to know if voices can be enable and all missing bits of text will still show up silently.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:27:10 am »

As far as I can tell, just having voices available is enough to prevent the missing bits from showing up.
If this is the case, could it be fixed?
Ohma
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 05:44:46 am »

Yeah, I can vouch for the Mycon line about their homeworld not showing up while you have voices selected in your options. I still don't understand why the people who work on the project are so resistant to the idea of just setting it up so that the line shows and either doesn't have a voice clip associated with it, or alternately, if it can't be resolved that simply, just have the game play a silent voice clip over the line. I know that people can just look up the location in the Resource Guide, but uh...people can also just watch a lets play video of the game too, that doesn't really solve the problem with the game itself. It's mostly just annoying to me because I'm the sort of obsessive loser who structures their adventure & RPG playthroughs around what they think makes sense from a narrative/roleplaying perspective and since I'm usually rolling in RUs by the time I'm dealing with the Mycon & Syreen, It's unlikely that I'll "stumble across" the Mycon homeworld by "accident" like I do with the Orz about half the time.

Also I seem to recall having once installed a mod that reimplemented the Mycon homeworld, and the Metachron so that they'd play even when voices were enabled. Does that sound familiar to anyone else or am I just making shit up?
danzibr
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 05:00:31 pm »

I replayed the whole game recently with voices enabled and didn't catch anything about the sun device.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length