The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:42:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  If you were to make a star control 2 remake what improvements would you make?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: If you were to make a star control 2 remake what improvements would you make?  (Read 18862 times)
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
Re: If you were to make a star control 2 remake what improvements would you make?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 06:11:32 am »

Ooh, sounds interesting! What kind of mod is it?

It's a source mod on the current Subversion head.  Adding 17 new techs and making each Melnorme different are probably the biggest changes in it. 

Some of the new techs include:
  • Hyperspace Sensors
  • Stealth Drives
  • Ion Shotguns
  • Minelayers
  • Cargo Transporters
  • ...and a couple of secret techs that are obtained by means other than the Melnorme.

There's about 50 little tweaks as well, either to fix annoyances in the original, or to adjust balance a bit.  A few examples:
  • Minerals don't get picked up if it will cause you to lose some of them.
  • Biodata quantity is displayed when it's picked up.
  • Planet impact damage is capped at about 12.
  • When exiting a system on autopilot, automatically exit facing in the correct direction, regardless of your facing when you left the in-system screen.
  • Planetary hazard readouts are color-coded so that dangerous levels are more obvious.
  • Planet temperature displays the equivalent hazard number next to the actual temperature.
  • In the shipyard, sale prices are parenthesized, and unaffordable items are priced in red instead of green.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
Re: If you were to make a star control 2 remake what improvements would you make?
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 07:16:11 am »

VERY INTERESTED IN THE LITTLE TWEAKS!!!!!

Will you document those tweaks as possible to implement them as addons or how to replicate them in the source code. Sounds cool none the less.
slylandro
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 10:18:28 am »

Those "little tweaks" sound like straightforward, uncontroversial improvements from the original. Perhaps Project 6014 would benefit from these ideas (it's the closest thing I know of to an HD mod/remake).
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 03:26:29 am »

Will you document those tweaks as possible to implement them as addons or how to replicate them in the source code. Sounds cool none the less.

When I release the mod, it'll be under the GPL, of course.  I'll see about trying to repackage some of the tweaks independently, but it might not be for a while; work has me busy right now, and they pay more than UQM does.  :-)
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 03:52:54 am »

Whenever you find the time of course, that would be awesome. Looking forward to trying out your mod first hand for sure.

EDIT: Is there an ETA on your mod? I'm looking to play again but was wondering if I should hold off if you were going to release soon?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:49:02 pm by Defender » Logged
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 01:31:39 am »

Is there an ETA on your mod? I'm looking to play again but was wondering if I should hold off if you were going to release soon?

Go ahead and play; I still need to make artwork for the new technologies, and then send the whole thing through my playtesters for QA.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »

There is something like this in my (unreleased, in testing) mod.  What I did was give each Melnorme a different selection of technologies and information (with a dozen or so new techs added); you need to visit them all to get everything.
Eh, dunno if I like that approach...
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 11:19:04 pm »

What I did was give each Melnorme a different selection of technologies and information (with a dozen or so new techs added); you need to visit them all to get everything.
Eh, dunno if I like that approach...

It's worked out well in testing.  The differences meant that instead every Melnorme being cookie-cutter identical, the players began looking forward to reaching each new Supergiant system, to see what new goodies they might find there.  I also made it so each Melnorme only had the information on the Races and Current Events in their vicinity.  This actually helped some players, because it meant that they were more likely to get information at a time and place where they could act on it.
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2012, 06:06:11 am »

It also means you have to scour the whole sector for every single supergiant, even the ones deep in enemy territory, in order to get all the tech. Can't say I'm fond of that idea, tagging rainbow worlds is enough of a fetch quest, and not one that I ever completed (or even felt the need to complete, since you can easily get enough credits) 100%.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2012, 12:50:16 pm »

The only one is alpha Eridani, which is not exactly deep in the territory of either. I think the idea has merit.
Defender
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »

...I think the idea has merit.
Agreed
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 11:06:20 pm »

The only one is alpha Eridani, which is not exactly deep in the territory of either. I think the idea has merit.

Well, there's Alpha Vulpeculae (not reasonable to expect a new player to always ally with the Orz), Alpha Apodis (
(click to show/hide)
) which are in the territory of potential enemies (although not necessarily scary in the case of the Thraddash), and several others which are very far flung (I sure hope nothing good is stuck off in Alpha Aquilae, for instance). It would be good to have some sort of option (preprocessor #define maybe?) to disable potentially controversial features somehow.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Draxas
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:51 am »

And damnit, Groombridge was supposed to be so out of the way it would hide an easter egg that few players would find on their own. This idea practically requires you to go there. Like I said, just tagging the rainbow worlds is fetch-questy enough.
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 12:01:04 pm »

And damnit, Groombridge was supposed to be so out of the way it would hide an easter egg that few players would find on their own.

Really? It's an easter egg? The Slylandro make a mention of it, and it doesn't have anything special.

(click to show/hide)

Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 04:13:02 pm »

Well, there's Alpha Vulpeculae (not reasonable to expect a new player to always ally with the Orz), Alpha Apodis (
(click to show/hide)
) which are in the territory of potential enemies (although not necessarily scary in the case of the Thraddash), and several others which are very far flung (I sure hope nothing good is stuck off in Alpha Aquilae, for instance). It would be good to have some sort of option (preprocessor #define maybe?) to disable potentially controversial features somehow.

It's worth noting that this is my personal mod, not the base game.  If you prefer the way the base game does it, then by all means, play the base game.  :-)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length