The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:49:34 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  How do you change the music files now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you change the music files now?  (Read 1566 times)
Lokik
Zebranky food

View Profile
How do you change the music files now?
« on: June 17, 2012, 03:20:00 am »

Yeah, so on my old computer (which sadly broke down) I had an older version of the Ur-Quan Masters installed. In that version it was easy to replace music.
I downloaded many of the missing remixes like Yehat, Chmmr, end credits etc. from the Precursors website, converted them to .ogg and renamed and replaced them with the old files.
I also changed the Kohr-Ahr remix to the "Eternal Doctrine" one, and was somehow even able to make The Ultron and Fwiffo's StarRunner tracks play at the appropriate moments, if I remember right.

The problem is, the files are presented differently now and I have no idea how to do it all again. I tried to open up the third remix pack to at least change Kohr-Ah's music (renamed the file exactly to the one that was already there), as that is the only one of those files I could actually find, but all I did was make the whole remix pack not work anymore.

Could someone please help me out? Is there an easy way to do it anymore? I have no experience in modding.

EDIT:

Looks like all the answers are here. Tried to read it but it goes totally over my head. I can rename and replace files but this seems too complicated for a simpleton like me.  Sad
http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Content_Management
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 03:33:33 am by Lokik » Logged
Lokik
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: How do you change the music files now?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:45:31 am »

Ok, so I got the unofficial remix pack 4 (thanks Defender), which solved most of my problems. I only need to change the Kohr-Ah music as I think Eternal Doctrine fits them better than Cleansing Required.
After opening remix3.rpm in notepad, I still can't figure out why not simply renaming the new file to 07_-_Kohr-Ah_-_Cleansing_Required.ogg and replacing it with the original doesn't do the job and just breaks the whole pack.

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong?
meep-eep
Forum Admin
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 10:41:28 pm »

RPM files are Redhat packages (though they are also used by other Linux distributions). These are not used directly by UQM, and they are also not prepared by the UQM team. The Redhat installer extracts some files from them and puts them into place.
I don't know whether the RPM package contains the .uqm files (which are renamed .zip files), or the individual music files, but either way, you'll need to either change them after they are installed, or rebuild a new RPM file.
If you just modify the RPM file in an editor, then the Redhat installer will probably detect the changes, and reject the entire package as corrupt.
Though now I'm confused, as you're talking about notepad, which suggests that you are on Windows, and not on Linux. What Operating system are you using?

“When Juffo-Wup is complete
when at last there is no Void, no Non
when the Creators return
then we can finally rest.”
Lokik
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »

Yes, I am indeed using Windows. It seems that I could do all these changes, I've just yet to understand how exactly it all works.

Seems it has to do with editing the .rpm files, which contain text lines like "comm.kohrah.music = MUSICRES:addons/remix/3/07_-_Kohr-Ah_-_Cleansing_Required.ogg" (that made me think I could simply replace the file with one with a similar name) and adding command lines to the game's shortcut.

User called Defender posted some help on his addons topic so I can get the unofficial remix pack to work, which I'm currently studying and experimenting with. Still I wish there was a more detailed step-by-step explanation in the wiki to help us who are not that good with computers.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:07:32 pm by Lokik » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length