The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:20:34 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The New Alliance Ships
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print
Author Topic: The New Alliance Ships  (Read 19425 times)
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: The New Alliance Ships
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2003, 03:03:26 am »

Well, the whole vacous waste thing and the waste of space thing are just a smidgen hostile in attitude, at least to this peaceful finnish country lad.

And I figured that if monopoly works for Bill Gates, it'll work for me. Read my post counter and weep! Grin (Or is that my job, seeing as it proves I'm definetly a bit unstable?)

And Iä'm not complaining, I'm just grinning. There's a difference Smiley And as I sadi you do have a point, without your comment the topic wouldn't have taken off as ity did. Just as the otther one which name I can't quite remember. Maybe you should make it your job to post second? You certainly have a flair for sparking off discussions....

What's up doc?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2003, 03:30:44 am »

That's not code from SC3
it's from Windows XP.
Yep.

My joke was that Star Control 3 AIs always run away,which is what this AI does. Except that this one seems to know how to avoid the planet better...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2003, 03:30:54 am by Death_999 » Logged
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2003, 07:30:15 pm »

Hmm well, as I said before I threw SC3 away as soon as I realized (5 minutes) that it's the Muppets in Space show with MIDI music.. so I wouldn't know  Cheesy

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2003, 04:10:07 pm »

So how fares the ship AI breeding?

What's up doc?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2003, 12:38:21 am »

unbegun. I am balancing scientific simulation, work, girlfriend, and Star Control. I have had some ideas, though:

The AI is composed of an array of nodes. Each node has an unsigned int  representing an Expression Level, and an array of void functions (taking this AI and the number of the Node as its arguments) Behavior.

Each turn, the behavior of each node with any expression is executed. The degree of effect is always positively affected by greater expression levels, though with various interactions, saturation effects can occur, and sometimes an effect will be overwhelmed by other effects.

Nodes have several interactions - all based on the expression level of the node
Promote: the target node's expression level increases.
Destroy: the target node's expression level decreases
Annihilate: target node's expression level decreases - this node's expression level decreases by the same amount.
Block: the target node's expression level does not count fully towards the effect of its behavior _next_turn_ (once it's not blocked, it reactivates) (this will require more implementation detail...)
Decay: this node's expression level decreases
Convert: stated portion of the expression of this node becomes expression in another node instead
maybe a few more, but this suite should be small.

Nodes may also have meta-tags such as
Additional Behavior: press (virtual) fire button if expressed above 100
Expression level = enemyShipIsInFrontOfMe                      ? 100 : 0
Expression level = rangeToEnemyShip > 1/4 playing field ? 100 : 0
Expression level = asteroidOnCollisionCourse                     ? 100 : 0
These provide I/O. The input questions will be especially varied, as we don't know what questions are the best ones to ask. I imagine that numerical constants in the I/O will be just as subject to evolution as the rest.
There are also a LOT of nodes which have no meta-data, but (initially) randomly adjust each other -- and, most importantly, the ship's controls.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2003, 08:35:54 pm by Death_999 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length