The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:37:20 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Dnyarri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Dnyarri  (Read 32735 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
DNYarri
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2003, 04:52:02 am »

Maybe we expand into a new region of the map, and find a star system labelled "Arrakis", and once you fulfil the subquest there you get to go around reading minds, but there is one entity your probes cannot reach, one place that fills you with terror... the Dnyarri!
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Dinarri
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2003, 05:04:43 am »

In that case,  how many credits would you get at the starbase for a kilotan of melange? And how much would the melnorme pay for a stunned spiceworm? perhaps the Fremen could fulfill the same purpose as the Orz marines on your new ship?

so many questions, so little time

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2003, 01:11:06 pm »

This is a possible way for the Dnyarri could come back into the game.

During the epic battle of wiping out the Sa-Matra, the Dnyarri knowing his death was soon at hand concentrated all his mental power he had left, to make one of your crew let him out.  During the battle everyone was too busy to notice a dog sized animal moving around. He was able sneak onto one of the umguh ships you had in your fleet. With the battle raging around you and ships blowing up left and right, you did not think that a ship that "lost" its propulsion system was peculiar. The umguh ship being under the Dnyarri's control stayed "powerless" till it was out of sensor range. Since the umguh were the ones who returned him to sentience, he took they ship so they could turn more talking pets back into Dnyarri. Once the ship was out of sensor range he took it into hyperspace to look for an Ur-Quan ship, to find another of his species. He would greet the ship, control it, have the talking put transferred over, and then destroy it. He did this several times till he had enough to start to repopulate. He found some, in middle of nowhere planet, and started the process or bringing his race back.

Several years past.

Now the Dnyarri had swelled there numbers. They remembered how they were able to take control of the Sentient Milieu and where planning to do the same, until they were discovered by a fleet of  2,154 ships comprised of 20% chmmr avatars, and 80% earthling cruisers that where searching for a major Ur-Quan Base. The Dnyarri instantly took control of the earthling cruisers. The chmmr were confused for a while when the earthling ships started landing on the planet. Their confusion was shorter that the Dnyarri were hoping for. The chmmr captains realized what must be taking place and were saddened and quick to take action. From any outside viewers perspective it must have looked like the chmmr had lost it. Suddenly every Chmmr ship turned and open fired on the earthling cruisers that were about to take off. The earthling ships weapons are next to worthless against the chmmrs defenses, but the chmmrs weapons sliced through the grounded earthling cruisers and made canyons below them. The resulting display put the shofixti's glory device to shame. The Chmmes fire were dead on and the fusion plants in the earthling cruisers lost containment and set off the ship's missiles. The explosion lit up the dark side of the planet like it was day. That planets atmosphere would not be breathable for a few hundred years. Only 134 earthling cruisers got off the ground. The terrified Dnyarri started to run for the hyper-limit, but 96 more cruisers were lock on by the Chmmrs tractors and were pulled to there deaths. 10 more had lost there hyper-drives and were only a matter of tracking down. Out of the 1723 original Earthling Cruisers only 18 made it to the hyper-limit. The Dnyarri knowing they have been discovered decided the best chance defeating the chmmrs mighty avatars would be the Ur-quan, the Kohr-Ah and the Utwig. They decided to split up and try to take control of each or all.
This is where you would start talking about the hero and how he comes into the picture. Most likely its going to be a chmmr who has made a similar device to Toalo mind device and starts to converts controlled fleets back to normal. Or something like that. Cheesy

Even though I cant write worth a darn I thought that this would be pretty good to base a plot off of. And also a good explination of how he got off and got back into power.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 02:46:45 pm by BioSlayer » Logged

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2003, 01:13:40 pm »

Btw when you see
&#8221
its a byproduct of copying from word
(i use it to spell check) Embarrassed

I just found out you can modify previous posts  Grin
so you wont see "&#8221" above this one
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 01:18:21 pm by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2003, 02:38:58 pm »

All good and well, but how many of us brought Umgah ships with us to the final battle? Otherwise quite nic, but that is a HUGE fleet.

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2003, 02:45:28 pm »

i did say it was a major base Grin

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2003, 02:53:25 pm »

Yeah, but (and correct me if I'm wrong), I seem to rememebr reading somewhere that the entire quan fleet of dreadnoughts consisted of like 500 or thousand ships. So an alliance fleet that big in just a few years after we get our starfaring ability back?

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2003, 03:05:44 pm »

I could continue  and say they wanted overwelming majority  Grin
but the truth is a picked a number out of thin air and went from there. Wink
if you want to you could divide the fleet by 10 makes it more reaonable.
All good and well, but how many of us brought Umgah ships with us to the final battle?

I know i did not, but in real life you would take every ship you could get your hands on including the umguh ships
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 03:22:56 pm by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2003, 03:30:19 pm »

I know i did not, but in real life you would take every ship you could get your hands on including the umguh ships

I disagree. In real life, you were well aware of the fact that your forces were not able to out of hand defeat both Ur-Quan and Kohr-Ah. Alos, you did not want to get noticed by the Sa-Matra too early, as it could have wiped your fleet out. Therefore, it would be logical to take a small group of ships, sneak through Ur-Quan space without setting off every possible alarm, distract the guards, sneak in and blow the thing up. A small group is less likely to be noticed... ANd if you can only take a few ships with you, would you really bring an Umgah to the battle?

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
Re:  Dnyarri
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2003, 10:12:33 pm »

I would do the opposite because the Sa-Matra's sensors have to be good enough to pick you up no matter what the size of your fleet. I would use every ship i had as a sort of "human shield" so i could ram my ship into it.

Think of how close the quasi portal was to the Sa-Matra
i think it was within a day of the star(I think got to check that one out) so they probly didnt have enough time to deploy it.

I believe the reason it was not deployed is because the Ur-Quan thought that there picket would be enough to kill you, but the dynarri changed that. and they could not possibly know you had the bomb and where on a sucide mission.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2003, 10:13:47 pm by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2003, 11:55:07 pm »

Hmmm.. Once again I disagree : )

I think the Sa-Matra, though in a defensive mode probably picked you up quite easily, just as you say. However, the guard around the Sa-Matra was deemed enough to take care of you, seeing as you weren't a big threat. As you say, they couldn't know about the bomb and the Talking Pet, so you were just a pitifully small group of alines.

However, if you'd come blasting in with a full fleet, every ship you could possibly get from every ally you had, they may well have reevaluted the situation. Even then, your fleet wouldn't have been able to punch a hole through the entire defensive ring, but better safe than sorry. And against the Sa-Matra, you would have been incinerated long before you got into pet range.

Also, when I referred to slipping in, I meant through the Quan space. I doubt even the Sa-Matra is powerful enough to keep a radar going through several starsystems. It'll notice you when you enter the system, but probably not very long before that. Unless you bring a whole fleet, and then you'll be spotted as easily as the human starbase spots the Pkunk migration.

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2003, 12:30:12 am »

will there be anything we can more than half-agree on? Grin

just to disagree with you agian. the ur-quan where very reluctant to pull it out to fight the alliance. so they would NOT be looking for any excuse to pull it out. Remember the Sa-Matra was the prize for the side who won the doctrinal wars.

there were two reasons i pick the umguh one i listed in the story and a other was it had a small crew, hence easier to control.
If you are so inssitant that a umguh ship would not have been there, then pick a ship and have the dynarri fly it to umguh space to get one of their ships.

YAY THIS IS MY FIRST POST THAT WENT VERY HOT!!!!!!!!!!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 12:37:53 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2003, 12:42:45 am »

well, actually I enjoy disagreeing, it makes for a nice debate  Wink

The Ur-Quan would be very reluctant to bring out the Sa-Matra, true. But that does not mean that they absolutely wont. They brought it out against the Chenjesu and Mrnhrm as well, because they needed to take them down. And if any reason qualifies for dusting the old Sa-Matra off again agaisnt us inferior races, then it would be the audacity of approaching their price trophy. Seeing as neither side would want to use up their own forces fighting us (they had something more important to fight about). So the ideal solution would be to burn us out of the sky, and then continue their Doctrinal Conflict without damaging their own forces. Plus, as I said, a large fleet like that is easier to detect from far off, by the other Quan forces, and would give them ample time to prepare.

Also, as a side point, would the Pkunk be able to detect that something was amiss in the fleet? Assuming the pkunk come to your help...

But for the rest, you are absolutely right. It doesn't matter how the Dnyarri get's away, only that it does, and gets to the Umgah...

What's up doc?
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2003, 12:53:58 am »

It seems that when your thinking that my idea of a fleet is 20,000,000 it more like 30 to 40  where the ur-quan had like over a hundred ships there. Tongue

Also, as a side point, would the Pkunk be able to detect that something was amiss in the fleet? Assuming the pkunk come to your help...

that is a good point but as i see it the Pkunk would be too busy insulting the Sa-Matra with words like "loser" "idiot" "moron" and "dweeb"
like i said they were too busy to notice a dog sized animal running around! Grin

« Last Edit: February 24, 2003, 12:54:29 am by BioSlayer » Logged

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2003, 01:11:51 am »

There were a lot of ships flying around there, sure, but it was the most important thing the Quan's had, so they would want to guard it... But still, you are right, that does mean fleets must be bigger than I thought of originally. Still, my point was that that's a lot of earthlings and chenjesu, them having just built them all and fought a war at that. The Quan have a a lot of resources behind them while the alliance don't really have that many...

But doesn't that just validate my argument? If there really are tha many Quans, no matter how many ships you drag with you from your allies, you wont be able to punch a hole in the Quan defences, so they will only buy you early detecyion, and then you'll have to deal with the rest of their fleet before you ever get to the Sa-Matra.

And too busy fighting not to notice a small animal, sure. But too busy not to notice the presence of the most evil vreature in the Quadrant having it's wicked way with some1? Also, I seem to recollect that even though some pkunk and yehat joined your fleet, there were more of them holding off the Quan and buying you time (or am I worng bout this?), and they should have noticed....

What's up doc?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length