The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 11:30:53 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Dnyarri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print
Author Topic: Dnyarri  (Read 32736 times)
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
Re:  Dnyarri
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2003, 09:34:52 am »

It could be an Umgah prank.  They are adept with biological implants and transformations, so changing a VUX into a human would be right up their alley...  It wouldn't surprise me that they're the best damned plastic surgeons in the galaxy.  However, this stoy twist seems to lack something, and I don't think it's up to par with SC2 standards.

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
gaugeyagee
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2003, 12:54:27 pm »

Back to the original idea of the Dnyarri escaping on the escape pod with you:

Well.... on the PC version, you DO lose consciousness and awaken near the Syreen woman.  So, did you black out because of the explosion, or did the Dnyarri wait until the right moment to take over your mind so you wouldn't suspect anything?  Smiley
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2003, 08:34:36 pm »

I don't like this whole idea of the dnyarri on the ship escaping, simply because you have the Taalo shield. It seems to have done a good enough job up to this point, why would it fritz out now?
Decent precautions could do the job so that crew would be unable to just casually free the thing in the time during combat: computer- controlled locks that will NOT let go; welded-shut doors, etc.
Of course, if it's necessary for a sequel...
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2003, 12:27:45 am »

Well, it's assumed that the Taalo Shield blows up along with the ship at the end of the game...

What stops the Talking Pets from turning back to their old, psychic, evil selves?  I seem to remember that the Ur-Quan modified their DNA or something, to ensure that they wouldn't be able to control anybody like in the past.  I think the whole conversation with the Dnyarri, and the whole joke about him being stuck in the cargo hold at the end of the game, was to confirm that they would not be a threat in any possible sequel.   I don't like to think of them as the ultimate villains in a game, although some smaller role in a possible SC2 sequel would be tolerable.

Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2003, 12:39:49 am »

Some other race could use them as psychic control amplifiers, along with some Syreen ships.  They'd still be non-sentient, but instead of telepathically translating, they'd be bio-weapons.
Censored
Enlightened

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2003, 04:10:28 am »

I agree; if added to the sequel, the Dnyarri should NOT be the main quest in the game, rather a side-story.

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Who do you take us for, Captain... Spathi!?"
JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2003, 06:28:47 am »

I agree; if added to the sequel, the Dnyarri should NOT be the main quest in the game, rather a side-story.

why? every story needs a bad guy and the dynarri are perfect for the job.

did you guys read my proposed plots?
they are in this thread
« Last Edit: March 17, 2003, 06:30:07 am by BioSlayer » Logged

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2003, 07:22:47 pm »

Yes, I just didn't like them. Sorry.

It really was a nice try - but the problem for me is that the Dnyarri so completely dominated the tone that there is little room for side quests. I mean, in SC2 you have the Ur-Quan vs. everyone else at the beginning, then it's Ilwrath vs. Pkunk (though there's really not too much you can do about it), then it's Androsynth vs. Orz, Spathi vs. the ULTIMATE EVIL (I know, not much of a threat to you, but it's a major plot point not connected to the Ur-Quan), Kzer-Za vs. Kohr-Ah, Umgah vs. the Dnyarri, Thraddash vs all comers, Mycon vs. Syreen, Yehat vs. Yehat, and Melnorme vs. Druuge.

Now you may see what the nature of the problem is. If the Dnyarri are loose, it is SUCH a big deal that there is very little room for anything else to be going on.
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2003, 01:05:41 am »

If the Dnyarri mind-controlled everyone, it would take a lot of the diplomacy out of the game, in my opinion.  There would be no room for compromise, just the orders of the Dnyarri taking over.  I think the story needs multiple facets in that respect, so that diplomacy, exploration, and communication are involved.  I don't believe that them playing a big role as the main bad guy would do this... doesn't mean I don't like the Dnyarri as enemies, because they're pretty bad-ass brain-frogs.

JonoPorter
Enlightened

Don't mess with the US.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2003, 02:03:38 am »

no the dynarri and chmmr are fighting think of that as the urquan vs kohr ah.
you would have to enlist other races to get them too help but in order for them to help instead of run away you have to prove to them that you can defeat them.

you can have new races that wont belive you or just dont care.
and so on so there are plenty of room.

There are none so blind as those who will not see. — Jonathan Swift

My Remake of UQM.
My 2D physics engine
Both are written in C#.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2003, 08:52:45 pm »

I have to go with Death_999 on this side. If the Dnyarri get loose and are really dangerous, how much diplomacy would you need to persudade ppl to go against them? Not really that much, afetr they see their neighbours succumbing. And you couldn't win any race back except through war. But I like the idea of a Dnyarri as a Bioweapon. That could be quite a problem, if someone gets their hands on a few of those....

What's up doc?
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2003, 09:42:39 pm »

ooh, yeah - weaponized talking pets would be serious trouble, especially if you don't know who is using them
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2003, 01:30:46 am »

In a sense, the Dnyarri ARE the current game's (SC2) villans!

Think about it.. the game is named "the Ur-Quan Masters", the Kohr-Ah want to end all existence, and..

hmm

ok

maybe it's not that obvious Wink

As you advance in the plot, you understand that actually only the Kohr-Ah are evil (you send the Thraddash to fight them, plus the Utwig and the Supox). Even the Kzer-Za tell you of how evil they are (something like, "you've killed dozens of our ships. begone, so we can win the doctrinal war").

After meeting the Dnyarri for the first time you realize what potential it has for evil.. and a few history classes teach you that they really ARE the evil guys in the game. The whole Ur-Quan menance started because of them, and here you have one on your flagship, one tiny animal that, in a sense, is even worse than the precursor bomb. A true villan - one which is not obvious and active..  a bigger evil is the one you don't recognize, the one who's pulling the strings!

"You boldly enter our space! Approach this Dreadnought as though it were a recreation base and then play the dumb hominid?
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2003, 10:11:08 pm »

How about this? The race using the Talking Pets as bioweapons is the Dnyarri itself! I think it's evil enough to use it's fellow Dnyarri as tools, at least until he has some semblence of control.

And I think there's room enough in the given plot for the Dnyarri to have escaped the destruction of the Vindicator. The Taalo shield wasn't properly installed and the Dnyarri could exercise some form of limited mind control, beyond even the flowers bit. If you try to destroy it on the Umgah homeworld, it compels you into taking it on board, Taalo shield be damned.

Hmmm! How interesting! During that last little threat, I noticed something WONDERFUL!
YOU DON'T HAVE THE TAALO SHIELD DEVICE PROPERLY INSTALLED!
Ha-ha-ha! Fool! You could have fired upon me.
Now, I fear, you will have to accept my offer.
I will join you on board your vessel. Together, we will exact MY revenge and perhaps incidentally, realize your own plans as well.

After this it comes on board and there's nothing you can do about it. And even while on board, it seems to be constantly trying to figure out how to exploit the Taalo shield's weakness. When you talk to it, there's a time it says:

Captain. The Taalo device on board this vessel is giving me a headache, please remove it.
NOW, Captain! It is foolish to resist!...
Hmmm... it remains more effective than I had thought, you are still able to disobey.

Uh, remains effective? Still able to disobey? This implies that either the Taalo shield's effectiveness is somehow waning or the Dnyarri is finding a way around it. See? No complicated plot tweaking required. No wild hypotheses or additions needed. The Dnyarri's ability to escape is clearly outlined in the game as is.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 10:12:05 pm by Matticus » Logged

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
Censored
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2003, 10:56:07 pm »

wild hypotheses? tweaking?
didn't we discuess the villans of the game rather than how could the Dnyarri escape?

hmm though the Dnyarri controlling other pets idea is a cool. good thinking!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length