The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:49:57 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Hyperspace
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hyperspace  (Read 1331 times)
Rep
Zebranky food

View Profile
Hyperspace
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:00:03 am »

UGH, so I've gone to Zot Fot Pic space and made contact everything was going great.....until I tried to leave. I entered hyperspace and made it about 30 ft before the first ship stopped me and now I literally can not get away, every time I beat a ship there's another waiting. In 3 hours I have made it about 40 ft. If it's not an Ur Quan it's a Sylandro probe, the only plus side is i've made a ton of cash killing the ships. Any ideas for how to get away?
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Re: Hyperspace
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 07:05:06 am »

Ur-Quan space is a really dangerous place. You might be able to fight your way out if you're lucky, but your best option is to load a previous save.

Rep
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 07:15:51 am »

Yeah pretty much what I figured, gonna try to fight my way out for now as I'd hate to toss away all those RU. With time and patience I can rip up the Ur Quan ships with the Spathi Eluder's, thanks for the reply!
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 01:43:04 pm »

It's very helpful to have max thrusters, and to leave the system already facing the right direction.
oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:49 pm »

You also may occasionally need to control the ship manually in hostile territory - you will use more fuel, but may be able to avoid interception.

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 04:21:40 pm »

It's very helpful to... leave the system already facing the right direction.

That's only true if you don't have maximum turning jets, and sometimes it's even untrue when you don't. The ship always comes out with its nose pointing up, but if it was pointing in another direction when it left realspace, it then rotates to that spot at maximum rotation speed. The problem is the way it does this is stupid: it just rotates in the same direction the spinning animation was (which is counterclockwise, I think). This is fine if the direction you're going is from 90 degrees to 270 degrees, but when you have max turning jets, going in any direction between -90 degrees and 90 degrees is faster if you're pointing up when you enter Hyperspace. And if your direction is 67.5 degrees, leaving with the tip pointing up is still faster even if you have minimum turning jets (I'm not sure about 45 degrees in that situation; that needs proper measurement).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:24:18 pm by onpon4 » Logged

Ceres
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 04:38:53 pm »

I've had this happen occasionally. If you keep fighting then after 10-15 encounters or so you should be safe. I think it's safest to only go into ZFP territory with max trusters.
Rep
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:27:28 pm »

UPDATE: Yay!!! I got out. After another hour of encounters there was enough space to manually pilot out. Max thrusters and turning jets here I come on a side note how did the Ur Quan dominate the universe if a Spathi with homing missiles can wipe up hordes of them.  Roll Eyes   Grin
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 07:02:50 pm »

on a side note how did the Ur Quan dominate the universe if a Spathi with homing missiles can wipe up hordes of them.  Roll Eyes   Grin

Actually, the story explains that: the Spathi never put up a fight. They just surrendered because they were afraid.

oldlaptop
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 07:54:56 pm »

The Eluder trick also doesn't work on human pilots - the entire thing is an artifact of the AI (particularly the incredibly stupid Marauder AI).

Play Supermelee online in #uqm-arena!
Netmelee Improvement Mod
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length