The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:33:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Playing online??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playing online??  (Read 1199 times)
BeefWielder
Zebranky food

View Profile
Playing online??
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:43:25 am »

Grettings fellow UQM fans.  I am new to the community and have been a fan of the game since it came out and I watched my older brothers play.  A few years ago I found the free version and have introduced as many people to this amazing game as I could.  I have always wanted to play other people online... and now with the new HD uqm mod it seems this may be possible!  However, I'm not sure how to set it up or get connected.  I don't know much about computers even though I enjoy the hell out of them.  Could someone please tell me how to play other people online?  I have tried to connect to a remote host and sat there waiting for a while hoping it would magically connect.  Am I doing something wrong?  Please let me know what I need to do and I hope to turn you all into space dust as soon as possible.  VERY EXCITED!
danzibr
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Playing online??
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 04:32:04 am »

While I have no idea how to play online, welcome to the forum!
BeefWielder
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 05:15:32 am »

Thanks!  I got my wife really into this game and now we are excitedly playing through again oooh'ing and ahhh'ing at all the awesome hd remake stuff!  Whoever did that deserves a medal. 

Maybe to play other people I need to connect to their computer via port numbers?  I'm not sure but I eagerly await my first melee battle against another human!  While the awesome cyborg is really good its fly-straight-at-you-until-you're-dead strategy gets kinda old.  Plus its a really dang good shot the the UrQuan ships so I can never get close with my poor arilou ship Sad 
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 02:30:38 pm »

You should start by joining the #uqm-arena channel on irc.freenode.net. There you can find opponents and advice.

For technical info, there is this net-melee guide: http://www.star-control.com/nettutorial.php

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
BeefWielder
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:45:04 pm »

Thanks for the info.  For anyone who maybe be new and reading this thread I just wanted to say the UQM-arena IRC channel is full is excellent people who not only play uqm but plenty of other retro games.  Individuals in the channel are extremely helpful and intelligent and many took part in the more modern developments of the game.  Definitely look into playing other real people because the experience is completely different.  If anyone is interested in playing me feel free to email me and let me know.  My email is BeefWielder@gmail.com.  I seem to have missed the play UQM online hayday but i'll always be down for a friendly game or two.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length