The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:47:28 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Stardock Highest Bidder on Star Control Trademark
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Stardock Highest Bidder on Star Control Trademark  (Read 51436 times)
onpon4
Enlightened

Sharing is good.

View Profile WWW
Re: Stardock Highest Bidder on Star Control Trademark
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »

Wishful thinking from me I suppose, but would it be possible to have a crowdfunding (e.g. Kickstarter, Indiegogo) campaign to release this game as free/libre/open-source software? I won't play it otherwise because I refuse to use proprietary software, but if it was released as FOSS I would love to play it.

Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 06:27:56 am »

Wishful thinking from me I suppose, but would it be possible to have a crowdfunding (e.g. Kickstarter, Indiegogo) campaign to release this game as free/libre/open-source software? I won't play it otherwise because I refuse to use proprietary software, but if it was released as FOSS I would love to play it.
Yeah, probably not likely.  You'd need to collect $305,000 (plus probably a few thousand in legal and other associated expenses) just to get Stardock to break even on what they've spent so far.  Then you'd need to get Brad, Paul and Fred to go for it.  And then you'd need to collect a very large truckload of money (meaning at least a million) from people who feel as passionately about FOSS as you do, and who will pay for it to be made FOSS rather than commercial.  I don't think you'll be able to find that kind of money.

For my part, I like FOSS.  All else equal, I prefer it.  But for me, it is not the single overriding factor, but merely one of several considerations.  However I do congratulate you on the strength of your convictions.
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 01:00:41 am »

@Frogboy

Where can we go for the latest information and news on this project?! It's been well over 6 days since the last post! ! ! 1 ! 1! !
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 01:04:17 am »

On project 6014 or the bidding?
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 04:22:50 am »

Project Runway
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 01:55:29 am »

So the Pages of Now and Forever did an interview with Stardock. I'm glad they want to work with Fred and Paul, as they said before. What I found particularly interesting is that they're thinking of starting the game with the First Contact and the Slave War:
Assuming we get to use the aliens from Star Control 2, I would imagine a reboot taking place at an earlier time - like 2112 with the arrival of the Chenjesu (Star Control 2 takes place in 2155).

The millions of players we want to introduce the game to won't have the ability to load up Star Control 1 without effort and Star Control 2 starts off after the Ur-Quan slave war. So starting them at the first contact point with the Earthlings first going out and meeting all these amazing species for the first time I think would delight old time players who already "know" these aliens and be good way to create a compelling story for the first new game.
Not sure how the rest of you feel about it, but I actually like this idea. There's a lot to work with in the SC1-era timeline, and it makes the story immediately accessible to those unfamiliar with Star Control, while an SC2 sequel would have a whole lot of story to explain to new players. And it provides an opportunity to revisit SC1's strategic gameplay and maybe incorporate into SC2's adventure (just because SC3 did it badly doesn't mean it's a bad idea).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:00:04 am by Mormont » Logged
Frogboy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 04:24:53 am »

We just set up www.starcontrol.com with links (including to here).  Talking to Paul and afred to see what level of involvement Activision will allow.
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:17 am »

Great! Doing my best to recruit as many new Star Control/UQM Fans as possible.

You guys keep working on your end. Smiley
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2013, 06:20:05 am »

We just set up www.starcontrol.com with links (including to here).  Talking to Paul and afred to see what level of involvement Activision will allow.

How exactly does one go about contacting them? I'd like to get their words on the project so far, the new races, the writing (which includes the p6014 wiki), seeing if the suggestions conflict with their view of things, and ultimately whether it's worth it to completely the project at this point as they may be close to finishing it themselves or they may diverge so much from what any people have suggested that the fan base should just leave it up to them, I'm not sure. It would suck of all the effort everyone put into p6014 went to waste.
Culture20
Enlightened

Thraddash Flower Child

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 05:17:57 am »

How exactly does one go about contacting them?
They occasionally read and post here, but the easiest way to contact them with a fan "squee!" is probably to seek them out at a computer gaming conference, but even then their booth is probably manned by underlings.  Keep in mind too that the SC franchise isn't their moneymaker (at all), so don't expect too much of their attention before they try to sell you some Skylanders. Wink
I'd like to get their words on the project so far, the new races, the writing (which includes the p6014 wiki),
Point of note: "the project" in relation to Stardock's future plans has absolutely nothing to do with p6014.  One is a fan creation, the other will be a commercial enterprise.  Hopefully Stardock's lawyers don't get itchy trigger fingers if they get a license to use FF&PR3's content.
seeing if the suggestions conflict with their view of things, and ultimately whether it's worth it to completely the project at this point as they may be close to finishing it themselves or they may diverge so much from what any people have suggested that the fan base should just leave it up to them, I'm not sure. It would suck of all the effort everyone put into p6014 went to waste.
To be frank, unless Stardock is planning on hiring them, it won't matter what they think since they would just be licensing the material to Stardock (aside to FF/PR3: please be careful with this.  I remember too many projects where the original creators gave license to use their material and had no creative say-so... rarely ends well).   
But if they *would* be working on the project for Stardock, they would fastidiously ignore any incoming suggestions to avoid lawsuits ("you used my plot I sent you on the back of a cocktail napkin that I photoshopped a picture of for the civil suit!").  Either way, I'm doubting they would comment more than generalities regarding their own plot ideas, and would avoid all comparisons to publicly available ones (even if licensed to public domain via CC or the like).
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

I don't know if you understand exactly what I'm trying to do. I'm not trying to talk to stardock about completing p6014 at all in ny way shape or form, I'm only looking to talk to Fred and Paul, because they themselves definitely take time to address fans and look at what they do, so if the author team I'm in decides like say, the Taalo get completely destroyed, whereas Fred and Paul one way or another have a new version where they don't, it's kind a an awkward situation and both projects sort of undermine each other.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 06:30:58 pm »

I'm sure Fred and Paul have their own ideas for an SC2 sequel and I doubt they would want to share specific details at this point. It's better for 6014 to be its own fan project and not try to execute Fred/Paul's vision for SC3 - in fact, there's more risk of 6014 and a new SC3 undermining each other if they're too similar than if they're very different. 6014 can be an alternate/"what if?" timeline.

Besides, it sounds like Stardock wants to start during the SC1 era to reintroduce Star Control to people. So even if Paul and Fred get fully on board, it will likely be a little while before work on SC3 begins.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:44:07 pm by Mormont » Logged
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2013, 03:14:30 am »

I'm sure Fred and Paul have their own ideas for an SC2 sequel and I doubt they would want to share specific details at this point. It's better for 6014 to be its own fan project and not try to execute Fred/Paul's vision for SC3
Well since we already have willing fans as well as art and programming already in the style of SC2, why not exactly? If anything it should speed the process along...but then I suppose there wouldn't be as much left for stardock, unless they just wanted to make a high-tech version of it...
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 06:01:45 am »

Because the universe doesn't work that way. Just imagine 2 separate timelines. Like the j j Abraham's Star Trek reboot, where Spock accidentally blows up all the Ewoks. Or something like that. I forget the details.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2013, 09:15:44 am »

The GUNDAM series works perfectly with different timelines, besides if I were Stardock I'd aim for originality and check P6014 to know what to do differently. That way I'd make a service to fans who then would be able to play two distinct SC2 sequels in the future.

It may be possible that Stardock won't make an SC adventure game. If they start with the Great War era, then it might turn out to be strategy-arcade mix like SC1 was. If Paul and Fred are involved too, it might be because they want to make story-driven campaigns. I'd be totally into it.

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length