The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 10:33:24 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Stardock Highest Bidder on Star Control Trademark
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Stardock Highest Bidder on Star Control Trademark  (Read 51439 times)
Tiberian
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
Re: Stardock Highest Bidder on Star Control Trademark
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:37 am »

I mean no disrespect, but if I was Stardock, I would completely ignore P6014. It is an unfinished fan project and nothing more.

I would also ignore most of the stuff said on these forums. They are not making a remastering of Star Control 2 so I ask everyone not to get hung up on specific gameplay aspects SC2 had.

Author of Star Control novelizations Groombridge Log and Eternal Doctrine. http://www.tommisalminenbooks.com
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2013, 05:11:40 pm »

I mean no disrespect, but if I was Stardock, I would completely ignore P6014. It is an unfinished fan project and nothing more.

I would also ignore most of the stuff said on these forums. They are not making a remastering of Star Control 2 so I ask everyone not to get hung up on specific gameplay aspects SC2 had.
That's exactly why i wanted to contact Fred and Paul, it wouldn't completely make sense to do all this work for the sake of an alternate timeline unless the p6014 project can be completed at least a year sooner than their game, which is why i want to contact them to see where they are with it, if  they think it's worth it to peruse the project or if they are closer to completing a much more "high-tech" version. It would still be a waste though, a lot of hours have still been put into the project.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2013, 07:34:22 pm »

I really don't understand your viewpoint here... it makes no sense. P6014 has absolutely nothing to do with Fred and Paul and there's no reason why it should ever have anything to do with them, nor is there any reason why a potential sequel should have any effect on the progress of P6014. They are totally separate things that have no relation whatsoever apart from some common base material.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 07:38:14 pm »

I really don't understand your viewpoint here... it makes no sense. P6014 has absolutely nothing to do with Fred and Paul and there's no reason why it should ever have anything to do with them, nor is there any reason why a potential sequel should have any effect on the progress of P6014. They are totally separate things that have no relation whatsoever apart from some common base material.

You don't think Fred and Paul would try and base the next star control game off of SC2? If they aren't planning on doing that and they are doing something completely original then I guess it's fine, I have no worries.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2013, 07:49:32 pm »

...where in my post did I say anything to imply that? In fact, I said something to imply the exact opposite. That "common base material" I mentioned is in fact Star Control 2. That doesn't mean there is any relation whatsoever between P6014 and a hypothetical "true sequel" from Fred and Paul. P6014 can take it in whatever way they want, and Fred and Paul can take theirs in whatever way they want, and there's no reason to expect or even want any kind of coordination or communication between the two.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2013, 07:54:07 pm »

...where in my post did I say anything to imply that? In fact, I said something to imply the exact opposite. That "common base material" I mentioned is in fact Star Control 2. That doesn't mean there is any relation whatsoever between P6014 and a hypothetical "true sequel" from Fred and Paul. P6014 can take it in whatever way they want, and Fred and Paul can take theirs in whatever way they want, and there's no reason to expect or even want any kind of coordination or communication between the two.
Here's the problem though: Fred and Paul said the Taalo are still alive. So if we make a sequel that's very very close to what the SC2 storyline and implications, and Fred and Paul do the same (in whatever way) but make many other changes, then that defeats the purpose of the project, Fred and Paul have spoken and answered the mysteries and the differences that were made for p6104 are just wrong.

If however Fred and Paul are going in a completely different direction and there is no worry that their version will be similarly built off of SC2, then it wouldn't be a problem. But I have no idea how heavily they are going to base their new SC game off of SC2 with stardock, so it would be better to find out.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2013, 07:58:16 pm »

I would be very surprised if both parties came up with something that similar. Fred and Paul may even have notes of stuff that has never been mentioned to the public.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2013, 08:04:10 pm »

I would be very surprised if both parties came up with something that similar. Fred and Paul may even have notes of stuff that has never been mentioned to the public.
Well, it all depends on how much stardock wants to base it off of SC2, or do something more original. Fred and Paul don't have to tell anyone what's in store I suppose, they just have to say if they are going to make a true UQM sequel or go in a different direction.
Steve-O
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 07:28:39 pm »

1. It's my understanding that Fred and Paul are not directly involved in the game Stardock is making.  They have been contacted by Stardock and have given their blessings, etc, but they aren't actively writing the game's story themselves.

2. Stardock has already made it pretty clear that the game they are making is a prequel, close to or during Earth's First Contact with the Chenjesu.  So any plot details from the new game would be overlapping SC1, if anything.

3. P6014, as awesome as it is, is not an official Star Control product, nor was it ever intended to be.  Neither Stardock nor Fred and Paul are under any obligation to adhere to the content of a fan project.

4. Even if they wanted to use elements of P6014, that would require them to enter into legal negotiations with the people working on P6014 for creativity rights on anything that can't be traced directly back to Paul and Fred.  (Even the stuff than can be traced back could still be touch and go due to extrapolation.)  It would be far cheaper, easier and wiser to just make up their own story.  For anyone in the fanbase to expect P6014 to be integrated into the official SC products is the height of arrogance, IMHO.

Showing respect to the fanbase is one thing.  Stardock has already done that in spades.  They've told us their plans, they've said they won't harass UQM.  They've even set up links to UQM on their official page.  That's already way more than I would have expected them to do.

Like all fanbase projects, P6014 is a labour of love.  You do it because you want to be part of it, not because you expect to get anything back from it.  "Getting anything back" includes recognition from the official license holders, FYI.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:30:17 pm by Steve-O » Logged
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 07:44:02 am »

Like all fanbase projects, P6014 is a labour of love.  You do it because you want to be part of it, not because you expect to get anything back from it.  "Getting anything back" includes recognition from the official license holders, FYI.

I'm pretty 100% sure many people who contributed would be fine one way or another if their contributions were used in the official UQM prequel for free, especially considering the current project already is free and they already did not expect to get paid anything for their contributions. And if stardock doesn't want Fred and Paul involved I guess that's their loss.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 03:31:58 pm »

100% sure? Based on the notion that it was already free?

Well, sure, if stardock wanted to release their game open source, I doubt many would object to that sort of reuse. I'd bet against it.
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 04:21:35 pm »

I wouldn't refuse some extra cash for my contribution. If my work is used in a commercial product and people make money off of it, I want my share. I, too, have taxes to pay.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:23:45 pm by Kwayne » Logged

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
Elestan
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 05:05:03 pm »

I'm pretty 100% sure many people who contributed would be fine one way or another if their contributions were used in the official UQM prequel for free, especially considering the current project already is free and they already did not expect to get paid anything for their contributions. And if stardock doesn't want Fred and Paul involved I guess that's their loss.

"Pretty 100% sure" isn't something a corporation can rely on.  If they wanted to use anything from p6014, they would have to get a written license signed by every contributor to p6014, and by every contributor to UQM prior to p6014 forking from it.  It's not worth it for them, and I don't think they'd gain much from it.  Best, IMHO, to just think of p6014 as a "what-if" alternate universe based on the SC world.
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 10:45:31 pm »

Well I didn't ask anyone to rely on anything, Stardock could have asked people themselves if they weren't afraid of wasting time and that they would run into legal issues, but they will find that if they say "we'd like to use p6014 stuff for UQM prequel but we are on a strict budget" I guarantee there will be many people who will be fine with it, especially considering most contributions are smaller. I have 200+ custom made planet textures and I'd be fine with giving it do them, the portfolio boost would be worth more than a couple thousand bucks anyway. And it's somewhat pointless to make a game that's "another reality" because if you assume there's one alternate reality then you have to assume there's infinite number of possible alternate realities because there's nothing stopping the probability of other realities from existing, so how come you aren't making games for all of those realities too? Why pick that one specific reality? And why not make many many others if the intent is the be an alternate reality game? Why would so many parts be based off of SC2 if the intent was to be a different reality?
This is probably why they are making a prequel rather than a sequel, so they have more time to define what the sequel is and build off of a more complete story-line.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:51:30 pm by FakeMccoy » Logged
Rapajez
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 04:28:27 am »

What do you see when you read these forum posts? I don't think it's the same thing the rest of us are seeing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length