The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:00:09 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Star control 3 plot
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: Star control 3 plot  (Read 11845 times)
FakeMccoy
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Star control 3 plot
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 03:39:45 am »

If it worked on Star Trek, it should work here too. Star Control after all doesnt take itself too seriously. Its just an scifi trope idea I think would be cool to explore.

Well I can't exactly say it seems like there would be a 2nd UQM sequel after p6014, unless we start in a different galaxy or obviously force a conflict like TV shows do.
Dabir
*Smell* controller

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 04:47:47 pm »

I seem to recall time travel and other stupid bullshit being the worst part of Star Trek.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2013, 05:06:22 pm »

The movie of that name, or Star Trek in general?
Kwayne
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2013, 09:54:54 pm »

I never disliked time travel episodes in Star Trek, in fact the best movie was IMO Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home a.k.a. "the one with the whales".

However I'm not so happy with P6014 or any continuation of SC2 tossing out the time travel card so eagerly just because of a cynical premonition that it's the last chance to do it anyway. My personal storyline has 2 or 3 episodes before a mere glance at time travel could even happen, and for more reason than because it's cheap firecrackers for starved out SC fanboys.

Check dA for some of my non-art ... http://kwayne64.deviantart.com/
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »

The Precursors can't really be the seeders of all galactic life, because all the galactic life we see in the game is drastically different. It's not like Star Trek with humanoids everywhere.

Yeah but time travel would make everything more complicated along with it's inevitable paradoxes. The only real way to time travel would be to perfectly arrange all matter and energy in the universe to a previous position and phase, after which point because of the uncertainty and inherent randomness of matter, evens may not progress exactly the same way as before. I suppose the Mother Ark didn't have to be created by the Precursors, but so far no one has made any plans to explain where it actually came from so it should be fine.
This is not how time travel works. If an action you take would create a paradox, you can't take that action, because a paradox is by definition something that cannot happen. In a single-timeline universe, you wouldn't be able to change the progression of events by going back in time.
dczanik
*Smell* controller

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2013, 06:43:12 pm »

The Precursors can't really be the seeders of all galactic life, because all the galactic life we see in the game is drastically different. It's not like Star Trek with humanoids everywhere.

This is not how time travel works. If an action you take would create a paradox, you can't take that action, because a paradox is by definition something that cannot happen. In a single-timeline universe, you wouldn't be able to change the progression of events by going back in time.

The Precursors aren't going to be seeders of all galactic life.

Things like the  "grandfather paradox" could probably only occur if there multiple timelines.  I say this with no certainty because nobody has gone backwards in time (as far as I know).  I like to think that  it would be the equivalent of the universe dividing by 0, the only solution would be to make another big bang Wink

- Damon
Ur-Quan Masters HD Project leader/artist. Project 6014 Artist.  Like my art? Please check out some of my other artwork
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »

Things like the  "grandfather paradox" could probably only occur if there multiple timelines.  I say this with no certainty because nobody has gone backwards in time (as far as I know).  I like to think that  it would be the equivalent of the universe dividing by 0, the only solution would be to make another big bang Wink
Actually, someone did a simulation that supports your first sentence. Though, it was with a very restricted set of parameters, so whether it extends to the real world is still open.

My first comment (about Precursors seeding the galaxy) was in response to the discussion about that a page or two back.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length