The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:06 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Minimalist run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Minimalist run  (Read 1677 times)
Bisqwit
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
Minimalist run
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:38:17 pm »

I completed The Ur-Quan Masters minimalist challenge.

Enjoy the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjOukxl5-I
Plenty of onscreen annotations are provided to explain what is going on and to allow skipping the necessary waits and long distance travels.

Rules: Complete as few tasks in the game as possible. Acquire as few items, allies and ships as possible. Beat the game.

Spoiler: I did not use Pkunk to beat the Sa-Matra.

More information about the challenge: http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/Gameplay_Challenges#Minimalist_challenge
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:58:02 am by Bisqwit » Logged
danzibr
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
Re: Minimalist run
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:59:13 am »

I'm totally looking forward to watching this. Highlights, at least. Very cool.
Joseph Collins
Zebranky food

Lv. 32 Black Spathi Dagger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:06:27 am »

This was quite a lot of fun to watch.  Some of the things that happened were surprising and his time and resource management is commendable!  Watching this run made me rethink how I play the game normally, but it can also be useful for other minimalist challenger in the future.

And of course, it was just a blast to watch.

I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephlithius.tumblr.com/ )=-
Bisqwit
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:55:43 am »

Thanks for the feedback! It is always interesting to read what people think about something one has invested effort in.
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:12 am »

Quote from: 'Ultronomicon'
You do need to trick the Ilwrath (and hence need one of the Casters) in order to talk to Chmmr. If you wait until the Ilwrath are annihilated by Kohr-Ah, you will not have enough time to complete the game. Interestingly enough, the Ilwrath can still be sent to fight the Thraddash after the Thraddash have already been annihilated.
I don't believe this is true... I'm pretty sure there's no Ilwrath at the Chenjesu homeworld there the first time you visit, but then they're there the next time because they noticed you visiting the first time, or something like that. Though I'm not entirely sure what triggers that, so maybe I'm wrong.

That's kinda irrelevant to your video though... it was sort of interesting seeing some of the post-death-march dialogue, if nothing else.
Bisqwit
Zebranky food

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:35:09 am »

Quote from: 'Ultronomicon'
You do need to trick the Ilwrath (and hence need one of the Casters) in order to talk to Chmmr. If you wait until the Ilwrath are annihilated by Kohr-Ah, you will not have enough time to complete the game. Interestingly enough, the Ilwrath can still be sent to fight the Thraddash after the Thraddash have already been annihilated.

I don't believe this is true... I'm pretty sure there's no Ilwrath at the Chenjesu homeworld there the first time you visit, but then they're there the next time because they noticed you visiting the first time, or something like that. Though I'm not entirely sure what triggers that, so maybe I'm wrong.

Well, you can watch blooper video #2 (linked in the video description) and see what happened when I tried to talk to Chmmr, after the Utwig were annihilated, without ever having tricked the Ilwrath, nor even having visited their sphere of influence ever before.

The only three situations where the Ilwrath are not orbiting the Chmmr planet are:
a) You do not have the Sun Device
b) The Ilwrath have been tricked
c) The Ilwrath have been annihilated.

Hence, if you do have Sun Device, you need either option b or c. And c is not applicable, because you cannot complete the game in time if you go for that.

I verified this from UQM source code. Thank you for your input in any case!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:44:53 am by Bisqwit » Logged
CelticMinstrel
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 12:44:15 am »

Ah, so having the Sun Device is the trigger then, I guess. Oh well! It's a bit silly though, considering you've never been there.

It was also interesting to see how well the Avatar did against the Sa-Matra.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length