The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:56:41 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Keyboard issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keyboard issues  (Read 1553 times)
Provion

Email
Keyboard issues
« on: March 02, 2003, 06:25:53 pm »

I guess that the question I'm going to ask will probably sound silly for some of U and it does'nt result from the game...

I'm running the game under Windows XP and I'm not able to use more than 3 different keys at a time, which bothers me playing head to head games with someone else on the same keyboard.
Where can I switch the thing that makes my keys act like this off?
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Re: Keyboard issues
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2003, 07:44:41 pm »

I'm running the game under Windows XP and I'm not able to use more than 3 different keys at a time, which bothers me playing head to head games with someone else on the same keyboard.

This is a known problem with most keyboards, and can not be fixed by changing software settings. Essentially, instead of wiring every key separately to the keyboard controller, most keyboards have each key connected to one "row" and one "column" (these will probably not correspond exactly to the physical layout), meaning that if you press several keys at once on the same rows and columns, the keyboard controller can't tell exactly which keys have been pressed. Your best bet is to try to spread the keys out over the keyboard and test different combinations until you find one that works.

The reason for wiring keyboards this way is that it's apparently cheaper.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length