The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:45:23 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Battle Psychology
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Battle Psychology  (Read 3160 times)
Captain Smith

Email
Battle Psychology
« on: March 05, 2003, 03:02:03 pm »

Something I've thought about while I've roamed the galaxy with "Death Star" looking to pick fights...

How would you think the game would go if psychology played into the battles?  

Shot
*BOOM*
Next guy bring it...

I would think a lot of the races would start showing some fear...  The other Spathi in a battle group would definitely run seeing their ship blown out of the water so easily...some of the others might be shying away from you in the future...of course, the Slylandro would keep going at you (it's a machine it doesn't know fear)...and the Traddash would keep coming (they're like Klingnons almost if you look at it from a Star Trek perspective)...I would think the Mycon would start seeing you as non-Voidable Non and change a bit (really I'm surprised that wasn't programmed into the game, or at least a better explanation of why the Mycon willingly became their battle thralls)...not too sure of the others...maybe the Ur-Quan might keep coming, maybe they might not thinking they could wear you down and eventually get rid of you the same no matter how many ships it would take...

Some of the thoughts I have when I play Starcon....I could imagine posting eventually how I had the dream I was living on Unzervalt  Shocked
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
Re: Battle Psychology
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2003, 12:50:15 am »

Well, as far as concerns the Hioerarchy thralls, there is one possible xplanation for their foolhardiness. If they don't attack you, and the Ur-Quan find out, they, and possibly their entire species, will be suffering a much more terrifying fate thatn a clean death in a space battle.

Even with your ship, they are simply more afraid of the Quan.

What's up doc?
Shiver

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2003, 05:27:20 am »

Interesting idea. Maybe after 1.0 is finalized or a true SC3 is begun, enemy responses to your battle performance can be programmed in.
Trey_Ayanami
Zebranky food

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2003, 05:49:05 am »

I was always curious about that myself. of course back then it would have been more of a hassle.. I think, to program it in.
It would indeed seem more realistic, which is always an excellent point to add to a game.

~Lunar Guardian~
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2003, 06:09:20 am »

That is something I've always wondered about speaking of time to program (I know the ending was rushed from what I read, Paul and Fred were behind budget and short on time)....I'd wonder if there'd ever be a "Star Control 2: The Director's Cut" or something similar that would come out of UQM.  Just the chance for Paul and Fred to make the game the way they would have chose to do it...or at least make those suggestions to the team currently doing UQM....

Right now that would be my question to Paul & Fred if I could have only one for them....what would the game be if you had all the time to make it what you were wanting it to be?
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2003, 12:51:56 am »

Right now, Paul and Fred are busy making a new game for Disney Interactive, through their newly-formed games company, Toys For Bob Inc.  The time just isn't available for them, right now, for that to happen.

But you know, it would be pretty cool.  All we can do is speculate, I guess, and I know some people on the boards are pretty good at that.   Wink

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2003, 10:54:36 pm »

Well, TELLING us what they would have wanted the game to be shouldn't take so long.
Captain Smith

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2003, 12:13:17 am »

Yeah...that was what I was hinting at...it shouldn't take them long to tell the UQM group what they wanted to do and make a 1.1 version out of it (along with maybe all the good suggestions that have been made).
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2003, 08:56:01 am »

It's also a matter of whether they want to get their new company started, or whether they want to just take it easy and not concentrate on their new game.

Not really as simple as that, especially since it's been over 10 years since Star Control II has been released.  Plus, what hasn't stopped them for revealing their plans, if any, to this date?  Time is money, and the reality is that work comes before play in the big leagues.

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length