The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:27:50 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  My new Thraddash cover/remix...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My new Thraddash cover/remix...  (Read 5758 times)
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
My new Thraddash cover/remix...
« on: March 09, 2003, 03:51:37 am »

@ http://www.angelfire.com/music5/vr/rw_thraddash_cover.zip

I don't think I've ever heard anyone give the Thraddash tune a try before, so I decided to tackle it today. Didn't turn out half bad, IMO... check it out.  It's also already in .OGG format and loops nicely, so you can use it in the game (copy it to content\comm\thradd\thradd.ogg in that case) - might tide you over until we get the official remix  Grin

Enjoy.  Comments welcome.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2003, 03:53:53 am by VileRancour » Logged

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
"Space is a remorseless, senseless, impersonal fact."
Shiver

Email
Re: My new Thraddash cover/remix...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 04:12:16 am »

.OGG format? Well, it doesn't seem to work with winamp.
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2003, 04:35:28 am »

.OGG format? Well, it doesn't seem to work with winamp.

Make sure you have a recent version of winamp 2.x - it definitely works with winamp 2.81 (and should probably work with 2.8, too)

"Space cannot be measured. It cannot be angered, it cannot be placated. It cannot be summed up. Space is there.
"Space is not large and it is not small. It does not live and it does not die. It does not offer truth and neither does it lie.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2003, 06:15:20 am »

Sounds great!

Only... it's a little out of character seeing as how the Thraddash were too weak and troublesome for the Ur-Quan to even allow them into a war. This music makes the Thraddash out as mythical titans that gloriously flew in to save their masters and wiped out the Kohr-Ah.
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2003, 06:26:28 am »

Thanks!
Well, there's nothing too epic/glorious about it - I think it nicely shows their comically violent/angry nature (comically, that is, when coupled with thier weakness).  But hey, I'm ok with your opinion - that's what I posted this for.
More people? Wink

Shiver

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2003, 06:28:32 am »

I didn't mean to say it sounded "epic". Just too powerful.
ErekLich
*Many bubbles*

One Ring to rule them all, eh you know the rest.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2003, 07:09:47 am »

hmmm.... I like it.  It's a bit too fast, methinks, but I like it.  I don't think it's too powerful, just... not QUITE "Thraddash sounding" to me.  On the plus side, this is the first remix that I've thought was even close to fitting the race to begin with, so it works.

Nice job VileRancour!

Oh God, please don't let me die today!  Tomorrow would be SO much better!
Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
Server down; can't download remix
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2003, 07:23:11 pm »

www.angelfire.com seems to be dead; I'm getting timeouts on every single request. It's still responding to pings, so I guess it's a software failure.

Does anyone have a copy on a more reliable server?

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2003, 10:08:46 pm »

First of all... I LOVE THIS TRACK!!!  The guitar accompaniment is wicked.  I especially like the high-pitched, squeeling chords.  Its a little fast to be the Thraddash, but remixes are supposed to change the sound of the piece.  You've really done that, but also kept the hardcore rock sound of the song.  Hehe, this is a really great track!

I haven't tried it in game yet, but I figure it might be a little loud and fast to match the awesome speech of the Thraddash.  No worries, though...  I don't need to listen to them talk with the wicked guitar howling in the background.

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
Nic.

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2003, 12:47:58 am »

Riku Nuottajarvi is rolling over in his grave  Tongue

Just kidding.  This is absolute perfection.  This track works in-game amazingly well, too.

The only thing I would suggest is dropping the levels by perhaps 0.5dB, as it is just a touch "too loud" compared to the rest of the in-game music; it somewhat drowns out the speech.

Oh, and take it out of the ZIP file; OGGs don't compress for shit, and those of us who like our music streamed can enjoy it quicker if you do.  Wink

Kudos.  Perhaps the re-mix project will take it and run with it.  After all, it's less work for them if they do.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2003, 07:13:42 am by Nic. » Logged
Dave Morse

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2003, 09:17:53 am »

This song nails it.  Period.   Grin
Chad
*Many bubbles*

PNF Webmaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2003, 07:37:57 pm »

Enjoy.  Comments welcome.

Can I mirror/provide this on PNF?  In the files->remixes section?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2003, 07:42:43 pm by Chad » Logged

"...Dogar And Kazon Clack Their Mandibles Against One Another And Snicker With Amusement."
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2003, 08:09:54 pm »

Thank you all!

About the loudness level - I myself haven't tried this in-game yet... this can be solved though.
And the ZIP is because I was quite sure Angelfire don't allow file types they don't recognize or want (like most other free hosting sites) - I might be wrong, though. Smiley
Chad - great! Of course you can.  This will also help Novus and anyone else who cannot download from Angelfire.

Novus
Enlightened

Fot or not?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2003, 11:41:32 pm »

This will also help Novus and anyone else who cannot download from Angelfire.

Angelfire seems to have got their act together now. I'm getting a nice and steady 3.8 kB/s from them now. Even Angelfire is preferable to the insane bureaucracy of FilePlanet. Let's see what this tune is like...

Crikey! None of this "something completely different" remix project nonsense here. Just raw Thraddash attitude and power. And nicely done, too. Sounds like guitars and drums added to the original MOD, which actually works quite well and firmly ties the remix to the original. Hmm... I think this one gets to be uqm/sc2/content/comm/thradd/thradd.ogg.

RTFM = Read the fine manual.
RTTFAQ = Read the Ur-Quan Masters Technical FAQ.
Vee-R
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 12:37:24 am »

Yes - that's what I basically did; I tried to change the MOD instrumentation around a bit but it just ended up sounding lousy, so I stuck with the original accompaniment (did sneak in some changes here and there, though).  Glad you like it.

Oh, yes, and Chad - if you do put this up on the PNF, please credit it to Ringwraith.  That's still my nom-de-guerre over there. Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length