The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:34:49 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  Technical Issues (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  XBox Release!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: XBox Release!!!  (Read 8133 times)
Bartholomew

Email
Re: XBox Release!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2004, 01:41:10 pm »

I have a couple of Xbox's and I love UQM, so I'm up for play-testing an Xbox version if anyone actually makes it.  (Can't offer to help code though. I'd only make things worse.)

I'm curious how to install linux on an xbox without totally raping the warrenty...  Roll Eyes
Profound_Darkness
Zebranky food

Current Mood: RL-Buisy...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 08:58:44 am »

I'm curious how to install linux on an xbox without totally raping the warrenty...  Roll Eyes

Pretty sure that you can't install linux without voiding the warenty.  MS realy didn't want you using a competing OS (or otherwise non-sanctioned products) on their system (which is why online games check to see if you have 'voided' the warenty).

If you are interested in simply not 'poping the top' or otherwise adding hardware then there is a 'soft' method, if you can get your hands on the right stuff.  There is a link in here somewhere (gnulinux.org or something) with details.

Dave Burt

Email
OpenXDK
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2004, 06:16:43 am »

OpenXDA is currently working to the point that they have a working port of Doom (original Doom). Doom requires SDL. OpenXDK has a GCC-based toolchain. I haven't used it, but it sounds like it has the potential to make a native port of UQM to X-Box fairly straightforward.

http://www.openxdk.org/
ViPeR
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 09:45:34 pm »

It is not illegal to develop for the XBox.  It is only illegal to use Microsoft's XDK to compile and release software since it requires you sign an NDA and pay a fee and open source developers can not do that.  However, with OpenXDK, you can develop, compile and release since OpenXDK was developed without reverse engineering MSXDK.  Using OpenXDK, it should be easy to port to XBox, since there is also SDLx.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length