The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:01:50 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Utwig Dialogue Subtitles Fix?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Utwig Dialogue Subtitles Fix?  (Read 1364 times)
Orz?
Zebranky food

Do you want to *squirt*?

View Profile
Utwig Dialogue Subtitles Fix?
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:34:25 pm »

As I'm sure many of you already know, there are many dialogue/subtitle mismatches (and omissions) throughout the game: for the Ilwrath, Yehat, Dnyarri, Talana, etc.; but most noticeably, the Utwig.

Is there some fix for this laying around?

PS: Also, is version 8.0 coming out anytime? There's practically no updates anywhere.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:36:58 pm by PeachGirl2013 » Logged

It is better not to *frumple* or else there is so much problems. Better parties in *the middle* for sure.
Krulle
Enlightened

*Hurghi*! Krulle is *spitting* again!

View Profile
Re: Utwig Dialogue Subtitles Fix?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:48:37 pm »

I think UQM is at the final version, unless modern OS implement changes that block UQM from running.
There was quite a wishlist for 0.8, which would necessitate some major rewrite. (among the wishes was to move hard-coded events out into an "events" file, which would make modding much easier)
But I don't think anyone is familiar enough with the main code anymore to actually tackle that.
And the initial enthusiasm from UQM becoming open source is also gone, thus it attracts less coders.
Life has gone on, so the old goners coders have other priorities now.

Regarding speech/text mismatches:
known, the speech files are from the 3DO version, and the text now is mainly the PC version.
The 3DO was missing essential information in the speech files, so the text version has been added, but since there is no budget, there is no money for recording new speech. And us amateurs are not really able to make a new recording blend in with the already available speech. And a complete recording would be quite a time investment, which I do not see happening.
If you think it is necessary, feel free.
Search around, maybe someone already prepared something for this, as there are tools to mark the beginning of  a new text line, so that the text and the speech are synchronous.
It just never made it into the main distribution, as those rely on the original sources as far as possible.
And some old addons are not available on the download page, e.g. the German translation (which was finalised somewhere during 0.4 or 0.5) is not here, and I still need to find time to sit down a weekend, and check whether it runs smoothly and flawlessly with 0.7, and I'm not looking forward to playing the game X-times and running all conversations. And I need to find the file again, although it should still be sitting in my mailbox. it still did so last Autumn.
(Plus the coordinators of the German team made a new installer, so I need to repack it as an addon, which I would want to release.)

Edit: note to myself: german laguage pack has been updated to 0.7 by GDP_Spaceman, and is on his site, which will not be updated anymore.
Still want a test session before proposing it for an upload to the UQM tree.

Edit: corrected an embarrassing (double) spelling error above.
Also wish to point out that I never was a member of the "UQM team", and therefore cannot represent any of them.
It is to my luck and satisfaction that UQM runs on modern OSs now, and quite fine. I fully agree that there is not much necessity for further improvements, however much we desire them.
The teams self-set task was to make the code runnable on modern OS. That has been achieved.
Everything else is bonus.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:58:50 pm by Krulle » Logged
Tealdragon204
Zebranky food

View Profile
Re: Utwig Dialogue Subtitles Fix?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 02:08:31 am »

As I'm sure many of you already know, there are many dialogue/subtitle mismatches (and omissions) throughout the game: for the Ilwrath, Yehat, Dnyarri, Talana, etc.; but most noticeably, the Utwig.

Is there some fix for this laying around?

PS: Also, is version 8.0 coming out anytime? There's practically no updates anywhere.
Never noticed it. But then again, I play with the voices off.

“He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you” - Friedrich Nietzsche
(I like this quote, but I'm not an Atheist)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length