The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:10:28 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Coolest Alien Race/Lamest Alien Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Coolest Alien Race/Lamest Alien Race  (Read 9755 times)
Arsten
Zebranky food

SC2PDB

View Profile WWW
Re: Coolest Alien Race/Lamest Alien Race
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2003, 11:05:56 am »

I think that, theoretically, the Pkunk can come back forever,
assuming it wins the 50% chance every time it's destroyed.
The most I've ever experienced was six.
Lukipela
Enlightened

The Ancient One

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2003, 11:53:17 pm »

Getting back on topic, I have to concur that my favourite race is the Traddash! Their attitude is just awesome! their music is good. And that Cigar.. Classic.

As for least favourite race... Well, I'd have to go with the Pkunk. they just really annoy me.

What's up doc?
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2003, 04:09:10 am »

INCOMING SC3 JUNK-
allright lamest race ever made-Vyro~Ingo

Spoon!
Arsten
Zebranky food

SC2PDB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2003, 01:11:38 pm »

Best race: Yehat (Scottish birds rule)
Worst race: Supox (The only reason they existed was to
give you the Ultron, and to get slaughtered by the Kohr-Ah)
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2003, 11:46:33 pm »

Claircontlar and Exquivian were even worse than the Vyro-Ingo.
Burvix_Castrator
Zebranky food

If you build it, they will come

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2003, 09:09:41 am »

I thought the Orz marines suffered against the Mycon on account of their inhospitible ship interiors... that or its a case of projection again. ^_^

=w=

There is no desire without restraint.
Shiver

Email
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2003, 04:45:07 am »

I'm not even sure if the Thraddash can delay the Kohr-Ah at all. Where did you hear of this three month delay?

For one thing, the Thraddash do mention being shot at by their own masters after they return to their home stars. The only reason the Thraddash Torch is so powerful in the hands of the player is because the AI doesn't try to dodge the flame trails. Story-wise, the Kohr-Ah are smarter than that so the Thraddash are left with those crappy pea-shooters as their only reliable form of firepower. The Utwig and Supox on the other hand are more than capable of putting up a good fight, even against Kohr-Ah.
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2003, 04:48:32 am »

[Edit] Darn you Shiver!! You're faster than I. =)

Actually, the Kzer-Za do shoot the Thraddash. During the fight, the Thraddash say:

We look forward to success! The way is challenging, but our Turbo-Thrusters are at 200% and our guns stand ready! We have engaged the dark ships and achieved victory! The Ur-Quan know we are here! SNORT! They see our valor!...
...unfortunately they also seem to be attacking us. We have tried to make contact with them on the usual Hyperwave bands, but to no avail. Even so, I am still quite sure that we are impressing them GREATLY!

Then later, when you ask them how it all worked out:

It was glorious, truly glorious!... for the most part. It would have been entirely glorious except for two factors.
Factor One: we lost over half our battle fleet during the two-week fracas.
Factor Two: of our casualties, only 60 percent were due to the Ur-Quan's enemy, the dark ships. SNORT! The remaining 40 percent can be attributed to the Ur-Quan themselves. We can be certain that we impressed them with at least one achievement due to the Afterburner modification, we were somewhat harder for them to kill than when they conquered us in the first place.

So there you have it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 04:49:53 am by Matticus » Logged

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
Nic.

Email
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2003, 05:09:33 am »

I'm not even sure if the Thraddash can delay the Kohr-Ah at all. Where did you hear of this three month delay?

There is no such delay in the current codebase.  The only event that buys you time against the Kohr-Ah onslaught is the Utwig/Supox intervention.  The Thraddash get bitch-slapped and run back home with no impact on that timeline.

so the Thraddash are left with those crappy pea-shooters as their only reliable form of firepower.

WHAT?!!?!  How DARE you insult the powerful Mark 6 blaster like that!?  Why, with it's powerful 4 megawatt discharge, it's the ultimate in combat weaponry, a true example of the tempered perfection of Culture Nineteen!  Grin
Nic.

Email
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2003, 08:44:49 pm »

You are free to believe whatever you like; for instance, people believe that there's a trick to getting the Pkunk to resurrect in melee, even though the code is pretty unambiguous about the fact that it's a random 50/50 chance  Smiley
Nic.

Email
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2003, 11:38:44 pm »

You could do that, or you could read the script and see that only the Utwig/Supox mission is mentioned by them.

But any plan of action that involves playing the game more, I fully support.  Tongue
« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 11:39:46 pm by Nic. » Logged
Omni-Sama
*Smell* controller

Zebranky-Killer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2003, 02:04:11 am »

You are free to believe whatever you like; for instance, people believe that there's a trick to getting the Pkunk to resurrect in melee, even though the code is pretty unambiguous about the fact that it's a random 50/50 chance  Smiley

I dunno, whenever I hold down the SHIFT, CTRL and Up keys at the same time, stand on my head, and spin three times when I die, my Fury always seems to ressurect.  50/50 random chance my ass!   Grin  Hehe, j/k of course...

If the Thraddash do anything, it's probably just delay the war between the two sides a bit...  and when I mean a bit, I mean nothing...  I mean, the Torches get hit just as much by the Kzer-Za as the Kohr-Ah...

"Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil." - Ilwrath Captain
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2003, 02:14:16 am »

I always wondered why everyone thinks they can take down the Kohr-Ah. I mean, come on, you gotta face the facts once in a while. Are they totally oblivious to their massive circle of infulence, undying rage, powerful ships and the Sa-Matra? What are the Supox/Utwig/Thraddash thinkin?

Spoon!
Matticus
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2003, 04:36:42 am »

The Utwig and Supox know they can't take out the Kohr-Ah. But the Utwig are guided by their Ultron to delay the Kohr-Ah as long as possible -- to give the Captain as much time as possible to do what needs to be done to take them down. It's not like they think they can win.

philosophy is the talk on a cereal box
religion is a smile on a dog
RockasaurusRex2000
*Many bubbles*

Pheonix Mirror.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2003, 03:45:41 am »

stupid whiners

Spoon!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »