The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2019, 10:13:16 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Paul Reiche and Fred Ford want to continue the story they started when they created Star Control II — The Ur-Quan Masters. «Happy days and jubilation!» «But wait!» «There is something wrong here... something which makes my sheath retract and my talons ooze.» «Please, Captain, we need your help!»

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Balance Mod updated
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Balance Mod updated  (Read 316 times)
Shiver
Frungy champion

View Profile
Balance Mod updated
« on: March 06, 2019, 09:37:26 pm »

All this news circulating about Star Control got me messing with my old Super Melee mod again. Balance Mod was my attempt at fixing and improving UQM's combat for competitive PvP matches which began a little over 10 years ago from today. After some experimenting and tuning, I've updated it again. A theme of this update is reverting back to original game mechanics anywhere I can get away with it. Ur-Quan fighter craft no longer drain energy from the target they're shooting at - while there was a good reason for implementing that, it encroached on Chenjesu's design too much. Supox gets its old battery regen back, VUX limpets get their old duration back, Arilou's teleport burns 3 energy as before, and Shofixti's glory device can crack Chmmr satellites again. I restored Umgah's default, faster turn rate and instead impair the ship's turning while the ship's Antimatter Cone is active, which feels pretty good in-game.

I added something new as well: An 'aim-assist' for my favorite ship, the Melnorme Trader. This feature is optional and can be toggled on and off with the 'down' key, When toggled on, the ship sends out little holograms which trace the charge-up weapon's firing path. Being a specialized sharp-shooter, Melnorme has always been a difficult one to play. I hope this feature helps other players enjoy piloting the ship as much as I do. Cheers!

http://wiki.uqm.stack.nl/User:Shiver/Balance_Mod
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Balance Mod updated
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:35:09 pm »

Ah, good. I always felt that the power drain on the fighters was out of place.

I guess I could look into making a mac build.
astkr5
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:02:15 am »

The Umgah change is very welcome. After playing the Melnorme for years the aim-assist takes some getting used to, but I like that the option's there. It's been a long time since I looked at the game though -- did you adjust any point values since the last iteration of the mod to compensate for some of these (relative) nerfs/buffs or do you think most of these are just minor thematic or quality-of-life stuff?
Shiver
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:44:13 pm »

The only point value change was for Ilwrath, which got bumped up from 10 to 12. Although I did re-tune the ship's weapon (slightly shorter range & the diagonal flame spouts drain 1 extra energy per shot instead of 2), it probably should have been at that value all along. Mod Ilwrath has always been noticeably stronger than its vanilla counterpart.

I don't think any changes in this update alter the match-up dynamics enough to necessitate other point value changes.
Mormont
*Smell* controller

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 09:18:39 pm »

Cool, I'll try to take a look soon!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length