The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:05:56 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  Childrens' play log
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Childrens' play log  (Read 12946 times)
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: Childrens' play log
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2017, 10:31:41 pm »

OKAY!

We talked with the Slylandro, almost all the way. Didn't press about the glowy bits, didn't get details about their biology and ecology.

Headed down to Alpha Pavonis, took a while but found the dreadnought.

Headed down to the 2 blue stars the Slylandro mentioned. Got a good bit of mining / bio collection done (nearly filled tanks of good materials), and picked up rainbow world.

Headed down to where we expect the dimensional portal to open, got there on the 15th. On the 16th, an Arilou dropped by. Exhausted the first conversation tree.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »

Explored a little Quasispace. Saved and reloaded a few times to explore. Found the Ilwrath portal and the Utwig portal, then finally noticed Fayalaralfali and went there. Had one conversation, got the spawner. Took the nearest - which was to near the center portal - then found the home portal. Went home, saved before docking, noticed that we got some Arilou ships, and we could have gotten more if we'd ditched some stingers first. So we didn't save after that, so we can do it better later.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 02:54:07 am »

Back at it again! First we sold off some ZFP ships to make room for the Arilou we were about to pick up.

Then we found out that the Spathi left!

Then we set our fleet to:
2 Cruisers
3 Eluders
2 Nemeses
3 Skiffs
1 Torch
1 empty

We also bought 2 hellbore cannons and 3 shiva furnaces, displacing the 2 blasters and 3 cargo bays (leaving 3).

10k RU left over, so we're basically done gathering RU.

Rather than, say, visiting Epsilon Gruis and the Spathi, we headed down to check out those Pkunk the Ilwrath had referred to before. Epsilon Giclas, then Beta. Passed up base-metal mining. Met the Pkunk, and were forwarded to their homeworld. Visited, got the clear spindle, one Fury, and some fun conversation.

Portalled and went exploring. Ended up near Arcturus. After a long debate over whether to go exploring or not, they headed to Arcturus and found the Burvix civilization, and the caster, and a lot of bio data. Took some losses gathering it up (almost entirely from lightning).
Grand Master Planet Eater
Frungy champion

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 06:39:49 am »

How long until the Death March starts?

Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 02:57:48 pm »

It's June 26, 2156. I think that means we have quite a while.
orz97
Zebranky food

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2017, 05:54:16 am »

It was interesting, I hope more updates, do not abandon the project!  Smiley
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2017, 04:33:32 pm »

They discovered Subway Surfers. Between that and Nexo Knights, Star Control has been put on the back burner. My son periodically refers to it, though.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2018, 01:53:25 pm »

They discovered Subway Surfers. Between that and Nexo Knights, Star Control has been put on the back burner. My son periodically refers to it, though.

If I was you, I would create a program for setting the weekly budget for different games. This would be easy to do in Linux. You could just use crontab to check every minute which games are active. For educational games, such as SC2 or Kerbal Space Program, I would set a large weekly budget (for example 100 hours a week), while for less educational games I would set a smaller weekly budget (for example 2 hours a week). When they have exceeded their budget, I would just kill the process running the game, and write a message saying: "Sorry, you have exceeded your weekly budget for this game, please wait until next Monday".

If you give your kids unlimited access to candies, they might not eat dinner.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:59:34 pm by Zanthius » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2018, 06:34:09 pm »

We limit their game time, definitely, but we let them pick which games freely.

I don't see how we'd justify rationing specific games.
Zanthius
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2018, 09:21:03 pm »

We limit their game time, definitely, but we let them pick which games freely.

I don't see how we'd justify rationing specific games.

You don't need to make it into a dictatorship. If your kids think they should be allowed to have a larger budget for one of their games, allow them to present their case. If their arguments are good, give them a somewhat larger budget for the game. This will also make them think more about the value of what they are spending their time with, and it will probably be a healthy family activity to discuss these things with your kids anyhow.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2018, 08:58:22 pm »

My son (9) decided to start his own game from scratch, actually flying the ship himself almost all the time (I handle fights other than the intro Ilwrath fight, still).

He lost against the opening Ilwrath on the first try because it shot down his first two missiles.

And it took a while for him to get the controls under his fingers right. Even though he's got maximum maneuvering and speed, he still moves like he's afraid to miss planets - very slowly, a puff of thrust and then drift. He could now miss and make it back with no trouble because the ship handles so smoothly. You can almost fly it like it moves forwards and slips a little as it turns, as long as you're not turning too quickly. Ah well.

Plot-wise, he did a loop through the Pkunk, then headed up towards the Spathi. We didn't face any Ilwrath there, but we did find a probe.
Telecart
Zebranky food

No. I don't think so.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2018, 03:32:45 am »

I'm glad your back, it's so fun to read!

Nihilistic mystics, apostolic alcoholics, messianic maniacs, cataclysmic and prolific.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 10:05:17 pm »

They had a combined session again, and it was a big one!

Having just gotten the Burvix caster, they hit quasispace and struck out for an UNKNOWN (we're using HD, so it notes where the explored ones go). Their random choice was the Druuge portal, and they chose to go to Zeta Persei (no prompting). They weren't terribly impressed by the Druuge, and explored Quasispace again. This time they came out near the Spathi. Which was kind of what they were hoping would happen when they set out at the beginning of this voyage, yay! So they went to the slave-shielded Spathiwa and then the moon, and got the caster and note.

The Umgah caster put them in mind of the Umgah, so they flew north. Were creeped out by the weird Umgah behavior. Made it to the Dnyarri, and ended up being sent to seek death at the hands of their enemy. Spent a long time arguing about how much to tell the Ur-Quan, ended up not asking why they should say since they'd just be attacked - just said what they knew in serious terms. After released, portalled out and went home, got the reports about all the new goodies.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:53:40 pm by Death 999 » Logged
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2019, 09:57:49 pm »

My son resumed his own session and reached Vela. He saved, and tried to face the Ur-Quan flying the ship himself. This went poorly.

So, he spent the next two days in Supermelee trying to train up. At first, he was having trouble beating a goldfish (i.e. human player with no one flying). His sister took the other human controls and is still having trouble, but supermelee is their big thing now.

Unfortunately, yesterday had a big meltdown because of a Kohr-Ah vs Spathi matchup that was just too tedious, plus he (Kohr-Ah) lost, plus I was advising her (Spathi) how to fly it since that's what you need in the campaign mode (and he was flying it roughly indistinguishably from a Good AI level except for the occasional double fire ring for no reason due to wrong key presses).

It came out that he didn't realize the blades were long ranged. Maybe he'll do better tonight now that I told him he can hold the key down.
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2019, 07:20:42 pm »

He's been spending most of his video game since trying out supermelee. Quite a bit of it has been rather useless for learning to be better, like human vs human with him at both controls just shooting things and seeing what happens.

Still, he did eventually manage to go back and beat the Ur-Quan at Vela, losing a cruiser but keeping Fwiffo alive.

He also found the Taalo shield, and realized that could help out in their other save file.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length