The Ur-Quan Masters Home Page Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:19:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Celebrating 30 years of Star Control 2 - The Ur-Quan Masters

+  The Ur-Quan Masters Discussion Forum
|-+  The Ur-Quan Masters Re-Release
| |-+  General UQM Discussion (Moderator: Death 999)
| | |-+  The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!  (Read 20478 times)
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:46:32 am »

All right dudes?

After troubleshooting with Gekko on the SC2 IRC channel I finally was able to smash through the wall I was hitting when it came to building on MacOS X.
These builds should work on OS 10.8-10.12 with no foreseeable problems.

You can grab the .dmg files either on the Sourceforge project page: http://uqm-mods.sourceforge.net/Downloads
Or at the Github releases page: https://github.com/Serosis/UQM-MegaMod/releases/tag/0.7.2d
There is a detailed FAQ on the Sourceforge page.

Also the Windows binaries have been updated as well to match the versioning and to squash a few annoying bugs.

Enjoy!

The artist once again known as Kohr-Ah Death 213.

Get your MegaMod HERE
Death 999
Global Moderator
Enlightened

We did. You did. Yes we can. No.

View Profile
Re: The UQM MegaMod - Now on MacOS X!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »

What is the feature list? I see a list that doesn't look comprehensive on the download page.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 03:27:20 pm »

On the Github main page. I haven't done any work yet syncing the two sites together.

The main meat of the mod is the commandline options you can use to have a bit of fun with.

EDIT:

I'm looking into doing a page with a full list of changes and additions. Going through the preliminary process on how to design it so it fits the style of the page while being readable.

Update:

Both sites now have a Features page containing all the important changes that were made. Including a couple of discrepancies between Classic and HD that I overlooked.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:19:17 pm by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 09:26:47 pm »

Thank-you so much for all your hard work!  Right now you are the only active version of UQM-HD available
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:33:16 pm »

Thanks. I do this as a hobby but it makes me happy that it gives back to the Star Control II / UQM community.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »

I really mean it.  It is a crime to have all that hard work that went into uqm-hd to be so close to completion but never quite had a polished end product.  You are doing the lords work!  Grin  Great job fixing the precursor hd music with the HD cut scene slides.  That was always an issue before.   I remember reporting it, but it never really got a nice fix that worked with the original 3do music.  And now movies work too as well!

One minor thing.  Could you include the hi res spin slides?   I don't believe they were ever included in an official release of uqm-hd but one of the spinoff attempts managed to put them in.  I took the liberty of extracting them for you.  It looks like all you have to do is to drop them into their respective packs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9phdqcehs6btox1/hires4x.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqhuauq7ht3vpcg/hires2x.zip?dl=0

Another thing,  I have no idea if you can fix it, but have you seen the strange orbit lines that look like an A as you approach earth? It's in the 4x graphics package. It started happening with one of the spin off projects.  Not sure why it does it, but it is a bit of a bug bear.  It looks like it's drawn in with MS paint...which is really strange....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 06:22:28 pm by darklord42 » Logged
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 10:15:22 pm »

also sent you a pm
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:17 pm »

Another thing,  I have no idea if you can fix it, but have you seen the strange orbit lines that look like an A as you approach earth? It's in the 4x graphics package. It started happening with one of the spin off projects.  Not sure why it does it, but it is a bit of a bug bear.  It looks like it's drawn in with MS paint...which is really strange....

I never play in HD so I wouldn't really know. I like the all of the changes HD has made except for the high resolution images.
It's a personal opinion that I have with many classic games that are thrust into, "HD" without the proper framework.

Final Fantasy VI being the latest letdown.
IX does it a bit better, but they somehow lost the original background art so even though all of the 3D bits get an upgrade the surroundings don't.

Anyways, I'm off-topic.

Great job fixing the precursor hd music with the HD cut scene slides.  That was always an issue before.   I remember reporting it, but it never really got a nice fix that worked with the original 3do music.  And now movies work too as well!

Umm. I won't be taking the credit for that. I haven't touched anything except for adding in the cheat functionality past the already included Cheat Mode.
There were some quick fixes I patched in from someone else's code that I can not remember for the life of me where it came from.
In truth some of the code may have been from Project 6014.

One minor thing.  Could you include the hi res spin slides?   I don't believe they were ever included in an official release of uqm-hd but one of the spinoff attempts managed to put them in.  I took the liberty of extracting them for you.  It looks like all you have to do is to drop them into their respective packs.

Next time I do a complete build, which should be sometime between now and the end of the month. There were a few minor annoyances and discrepancies between Classic and HD I only picked up on when making the Features page on the websites.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 01:15:53 am »

I never play in HD so I wouldn't really know. I like the all of the changes HD has made except for the high resolution images.
It's a personal opinion that I have with many classic games that are thrust into, "HD" without the proper framework.

I understand,  I'll keep poking around in the data files to find out,  but anything you can do would be great.

Umm. I won't be taking the credit for that. I haven't touched anything except for adding in the cheat functionality past the already included Cheat Mode.

fair enough,  but I'll give you credit for putting everyone's work together in one convenient package Wink

[EDIT]

Also I think the MB person in the code is Matthew Bently (his name on his repo https://sourceforge.net/u/userid-865615/urquanmastershd/ci/master/tree/)  his name on these forums is metamorphosis.  All part of his UQMHD-Remix.  Although i haven't seen him in about a year.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:09:29 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 03:38:50 am »

I'm not saying I won't look at the HD part to see if it's a graphical or code error.

Once I get the chance, probably over the weekend, I'll take a hard look at all of it so I can flesh out exactly what I need to do to finalize 0.7.2 in both HD and Classic.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 06:12:12 am »

Out of curiosity, how much of Matthew Bentley's UQMHD-Remix changes wound up in your version?  I know you mentioned a few on your site, but looking at the remix's moddb page, the list was a little longer.

http://www.moddb.com/games/the-urquan-masters-hd-remix/

Not that I feel you necessarily should have every one he did, just curious.
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 06:18:30 am »

The ones essential to the mod itself first, like the 3DO videos being playable in the center of the screen then little things here and there.

But the list I made is the literal list of every significant change. I went through the .diff files myself just so I could remember what I did or did not do.

I can't even remember where I acquired the source code from so I could implement them. Otherwise I would take a crack at including all of them and continue where he left off.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:21:39 am by Kohr-Ah Death » Logged

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 06:23:15 am »

https://sourceforge.net/u/userid-865615/urquanmastershd/ci/master/tree/ is his repo.  Some of it sounds like it's in the data files themselves.

And some of it, like the work on the hd slides for precursor music, might not be needed anymore, as it looks like it works fine in your version.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:28:45 am by darklord42 » Logged
Kohr-Ah Death 213
Enlightened

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:40:37 am »

https://sourceforge.net/u/userid-865615/urquanmastershd/ci/master/tree/ is his repo.  Some of it sounds like it's in the data files themselves.

And some of it, like the work on the hd slides for precursor music, might not be needed anymore, as it looks like it works fine in your version.

Yeah, I try not to mess with anything related to content modification so people can simply pop the modded binary in without any fuss of keeping track of packages.

Getting to that point is more than any single person can handle successfully. As you can see by how many projects up and went into development limbo.

I'm still going to download the snapshot and diff it between vanilla HD to see what else I can manage to squeeze into the mod without touching the content.
I'm no advanced programmer by any means, I can simply see and understand how some things work.

The content management is a big beast to tame, at least to me it is.

EDIT: Anyways, I'm off to bed, I'll pick up this convo tomorrow.

Get your MegaMod HERE
darklord42
*Many bubbles*

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 03:38:23 pm »

Absolutely, you definitely want to draw the line somewhere, or you will be at this for the rest of your natural and/or unnatural life....

I was thinking more on the lines of cherry picking some things that are relativly simple to implement.

like:

* Corrections to various new Utwig voiceovers to match original script
* Resampled all new utwig voiceovers down to 11khz to match tone of all other original voiceovers

Going to his 3dovoices file, trying them out, and if you like them replace his utwig voices folder with yours.  Especially since Utwig voice was a new creation for UQM-HD, his changes probably are better.

Maybe his re-balanced Shofixti voices, but really not much else that I can see. Unless you want more.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 03:49:02 pm by darklord42 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length